syncing midi clock

pitrak

Hi,

I've tried midi syncing my XW-G1 to a Kaoss Pad 3 and Kaoss Pad 2 but have some problems.

Putting the G1 in slave mode doesn't work. If I set the midi clock on the KP3 and then start a sequence on the G1, nothing happens. Then I tried the opposite: I put the KP3 to slave mode and the G1 in master. Now I can get the KP3 to sync to the G1. But if I change the sound or the perform, midi also sends program changes to the KP3.

My first choice would be to put the KP3 as master as it has an auto BPM which the G1 is lacking. So tips on that would be welcome.

Another interesting option would be to have the G1 as master. Can I do this without sending program changes if I turn the dial? Or is this a setting I have to change on the receiving end (KP3)?

Effects changes on the KP3 through the midi send of the G1 would be great if I could change it with the Perform. That would allow me to setup certain songs or grooves and link them to specific effects on the KP2 and KP3.

Any suggestions?

Pitrak,

First make sure you have the firmware update in your XW-G1.

To check your firmware version

On your XW-G1 instrument, press the [POWER] button to turn on the instrument.

Press the "SETTING" button to display the setting screen.

If you can not find "INFO" under "MIDI" in the list, the firmware version of the instrument is less than 1.10. You need to download this update software and install it on the instrument.

If you can find "INFO" and press [ENTER] to display the version confirmation screen, the firmware version of the instrument is the number which is displayed.

You can find the update here:

http://support.casio.com/download.php?cid=008&pid=340&rgn=1

Next, don't forget that when you change the sync mode on the XW series you have to restart it. I haven't used the XW-G1 with a Kaoss Pad 3 but with other product I've had it sync without issue.

I got around the problem by disabling Program Changes in the Midi Filter of the KP3. But if I want to link my effect settings in the KP3 to Perform presets, this is not an option. I'll need to have a deeper look at the midi chart of both to get this solved I guess.

I didn't test the G1 in slave mode after the update..