Video Files on Forum ×

Sustain pedal

jimmiew

So i recently bought a sustain pedal and I've heard these can be a bit finicky with polarity and such but I'm having trouble switching the polarity. I've tried plugging it in before turning the keyboard on and after turning the keyboard on but both ways it is inverted, how can I fix this within the keyboard? I dug through the manual (it says theres info on E-65 but there isn't anything of this nature) and tried every menu I can find.

Unfortunately I went throught a similar confusion when I first got a pedal for a Casio. (Was a CTK-7000 but its the same with the XW-P1)

Is seems that (naughty) Casio have used a proprietary pedal system so you have to get one of their pedals <_< (SP-20)

No other pedal will work even if it has a polarity switch :angry:

...Unless I missed something...

Not So. I use an M-Audio SP2 with my Casio XW-P1 just fine.

The thing is, that Casio uses a normally open switch while Yamaha uses a normally closed one.

There is no provision on the keyboard to reverse polarity.

The M-Audio, however, like all universal pedals allows you to reverse polarity with a small switch on the bottom of the pedal.

Check your Yamaha for such a switch but I don't believe they offer them.

Otherwise you'll have to buy a new pedal. Again the XW-P1 has no provision for reversing pedal polarity in software.

If you don't want to hack your pedal, you could make an extension cable with a female and male plug and just cross the wires between the two. So you just use the extension when you want the output reversed.

(The extension cable can be very short of course)

You can't simply swap the wires on the cable. It's a series loop circuit with a normally closed switch at one end and a 1/4" phone jack at the other.

I have heard that you can open up a Yamaha pedal and reverse the polarity pretty easily though.

I'd assume that it's a multi pole switch and you'd simply have to swap one wire to an unused terminal.

Or just buy an M-Audio SP-2 and be done with it. They're built like a brick, they have a reversible switch already and Amazon sells them dirt cheap.

Right now they have them for $20. If you shop around I've seen them on sale for $14.

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-US65010-Sustain-Pedal-Keyboards/dp/B00063678K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359396610&sr=8-1&keywords=m-audio+sp-2

Again, simply reversing wires will accomplish bupkiss!!!

Here's some images to illustrate my point.

post-14-0-28375400-1359397989_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-30051300-1359398005_thumb.gif

On the yamaha pedal the common and the A terminals are connected.

To modify it for the Casio you'd connect the common and switch the wire from the A to the B terminal.

On a switchable polarity switch there would be a second switch switching between A and B terminals internally.

• 4 months later...

Sooooo... how about other recommended pedals?  Sometimes I hook up my FC-5 and the sustain is on... or it triggers a note hold so the last note played is on.   If the polarities are opposite, does this mean that I can't use the same pedal for the Casio and Roland?  

Is the Casio SP-3R OK to use?  Thinking of ordering one.

Ah well then the XW is different from the CTK then.

The CTK definitely needs the Casio SP-20 pedal because I tried one with a polarity switch and it didn't work.

No not true.  XW's, CTK models and WK models are all identical in this regard.

As for other pedals, we have two:

Casio SP-20

Casio SP-3R

Pedals from Kurzweil and Korg also work, Roland and Yamaha will not.

• 2 weeks later...

i had the same problem with the Yamaha foot pedal, and i solved it by opening the pedal, and reversing the contact blade inside the switch, so that instead of the blade pressing on it and making it closed, it stayed away from it, and turned it into an open switch. I wouldn't recomend this procedure, since it's risky, and you can damage the plastic housing that holds the contact blade and the rest of the switch together, so be warned.

But in case you wanna try this before buying another pedal, i can open it up again, and take some pictures of it later today (when i get home).

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The PD-01 looks very much like the On-Stage pedal... and I suspect it is the same.. just a generic pedal that distributors can slap their name on. I don't see it on the store you linked to, but I would look for the M-Audio SP-2... it should be the same price as the Apextone or even cheaper....

I can't speak to the AP PD 02.. never seen a model like that. Goof thing is it's inexpensive.. if you hate it, you can always just use it as a backup pedal.  :)

• 2 months later...

I just purchased something called an "Auray" model FP-P1D that has a polarity switch and works with the XW-P1 no problem. It uses a standard mono 1/4 inch plug. Found it on e*** for around 15.00 including shipping. Seems nicely made, has a steel piano pedal like most other brands, a very rigid metal cover and plastic base.