PX-5S: Features you're glad ARE included. Features you wish WERE included.

SonnyDaye

Pretty much any of the acoustic guitars from the Motif XS and XF series in hardware Brad, (the Kronos gtrs just never quite got there for me - and one or two Roland hardware guitars are passable)

Then there is some guitars by Bolder Sounds (again for the Motif) and of course Real Guitar, which although dated one can still coax a nice gtr sound out of it. There are others :) this was just a couple of examples. In the case of Yamaha they really did a proper job on the sampling side, so that even without effects the bare sounds are pretty good!

Again this is all strictly acoustic nylon and steel gtrs.

Dennis

hahaha you are talking about a 700MB sample Lib ,,the PX5 has a 128 MB sample space for all Waves....what makes me cry because a 1GB chip cost less then 3 Euro and i really dont understand why casio did this...having a more and  better samples......does not cost so much ....

and would made the PX5S a Killer Machine so now please dont tell me it is a Stage Piano the latest Kurzweil StagePiano is playing with 19GB

of Flash Samples ...

I think the power of the PX-5S mainly comes from the synth functions (hex layer, AiR, effects). While 128MB is a lot of WAVE memory compared to 10-15 years ago, it is small compared to today's ROMplers and virtual instruments.

Maybe this is why Casio was so secretive about the sample memory size and never published the specification? However, size isn't the only thing that matters for sample playback quality. The quality of recording of the sample to begin with, as well as the manipulation of samples to get the playing characteristics right, means that there can be bad large sample libraries, and good smaller ones. If you don't believe me, try out some of the ultra-large SoundFont libraries; I haven't found one that's compellingly better than the PX-5S.

I think the Yamaha MOXF6/8, particularly if equipped with a 1GB flash RAM board, is a good addition to a PX-5S if you want to add a higher-quality ROMpler to your rig. Load some big libraries in there, or use virtual instruments in a studio setting. I don't think there's any one keyboard that does everything perfectly. Even the $4K Nord Stage 2 gets criticized around here for keybed feel, some of its samples, and of course ... its high price. And people gripe endlessly about computer problems and latency when using virtual instruments.

Those Bolder libraries sound nice though. Wish I had a compatible instrument to make use of them...

Hopefully, someday in the future, Casio will release a PX-7S or PX-9S that has 32-64GB of 96/24 audiophile-quality samples. That would entice me to upgrade... :)

From the technical sheet ...the pianos in the px are great and for it bucks it is a top masterkeyboard. Of course this is only a discussion about the possibilty of the px and i really love it more then this it is a challenge to programm top sounds on it and the hex section is a playground. Guitars are the most difficult instrument to reproduce for the resonance chancing over time and the different ways to play it

Immagine we could play Bolder Samples from the Use Stick or a external SSD ,,Yeahhh 

please how do i upload a MP3 inside a post ?

If you go to the full reply editor ("More Reply Options"), there are controls at the bottom to Attach Files. However, for me it says, "You can upload up to 439.76KB of files (Max. single file size: 439.76KB)." So unless you're uploading a short clip, that might not be enough to upload a file that's a few megabytes such as a typical song. What you can do is create a SoundCloud account if you don't have one already, upload your MP3 there, and link to that.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a suggestion, which I make it from the comfort of my position of total ignorance of all things computer, so it may not be even remotely possible......

However, I have never been one to allow practicality to get in the way of imagination..., so.... What would be extremely useful would be if certain settings / parameters could be linked to a single registration set. It occurs to me that as the USB drive has to be physically installed and the "all load" routine gone through each time a registration set changes, it might be possible in so doing for the PX to also check and adjust certain registrations specific settings.

Things like: pedal settings. In some situations it is incredibly useful to scroll though the SS's with pedal 2, but not in others. This feature being global is a problem for me (means I will have to manually adjust it when installing every new registration set from now on). There may well be other global settings which would also benefit from being slightly less global - and once the feature was implemented they could also be included. Of course, this all depends on whether it is possible to do this at all ...... :ph34r:

Well, sorry to say, but the basses and guitars on this are so bad, that I am selling mine. You cannot create a silk purse from a sows ear - which means the basic fault (for me) is the quality of the samples are so low that one cannot create anything decent. Only so much can be done with effects

That, and I also think there is only one decent piano and that is the preset 0-0, and even that has decay length issues (for me - YMMV) the EP's, while sounding okay on online demos, are not really all that convincing on my PA or cans - I can get better results from my iPad EP's and AP's.

The PX5 is okay for those at home (as a sole lounge piano) but for live work, I find I need to use both the laptop using VST's and the iPad apps. So it really is an expensive controller for me. And not a very good one either (as far as ease of programming is concerned).

Anyhoo, I am sure all the fanboys (and girlz) will continue to rave about it and that's fine. Different strokes and all that. For me the PX5 was a waste of time, and money, to be blunt!

Hey Brad, where did you get that sound, is it a default tone/setting somewhere or did you create it?

Sounds great to me. How did you make it sound the way it does with the dampening strings effect?

Thanks.  I custom programmed it. The guitar sound itself has added pick noises and then I created a muted string sound which is a takeoff of the Ukulele Strumming Stage Setting I uploaded a while back.  I will upload it eventually.  Stay tuned.  

• Like 1

Thanks.  I custom programmed it. The guitar sound itself has added pick noises and then I created a muted string sound which is a takeoff of the Ukulele Strumming Stage Setting I uploaded a while back.  I will upload it eventually.  Stay tuned.  

LOL - I will admit I thought you were shining me on when you sent me the demo. No way I believed all that was PX-5S. You are an awesome programmer, Brad. I have long said a good programmer can do some SERIOUS damage with this instrument. 

• Like 1

Very much looking forward to seeing how it was put together!