PX-5S: Features you're glad ARE included. Features you wish WERE included.

SonnyDaye

Thank you Mike,

I have just tried GrPnoNarrow and to me it sounds MUCH better than the other grand pianos. :)

The problem is that now I will have to apply the same modifications in dynamics to all the other sounds, to suit my playing style; I guess that this is the main reason why I was asking for a customized curve.

The PX-5S is only part way there. And not a big way.

The first big step would be After Touch in a hammer action. Korg can do it with the RH3, so it can be done. Make a special edition, PX-5S-AT and throw on whatever the after touch modification costs. This might sell better than you first think.

As it stands, the PX-5S is a reasonable MIDI controller with a moderate synth engine and some minor league performance features - the arps and phrase sequencer come to mind.

The phrase sequencer is near completely misunderstood and absolutely poorly explained in terms of its intended purpose and functionality. Any money pissed away on "celebs" might better be spent explaining how this thing actually works, and where it's beneficial and what it can be used for, via both demonstration and instruction. Right now it's a black box, to most, and it seems nobody is willing to upload videos of themselves showing others the fuller capacities of this thing. This is as true of the XW's as it is of this, but it shouldn't be so.

Is there anyone that doesn't own an XW-P1 that can explain the Hex Layerings? I've watched all the videos and am still not exactly sure how it breaks down, or what it's 14 layers and not 12 or 18 that are available on the full keyboard of the approaching PX-5S.

The four programmable arpeggiators are much the same. Surely moderately powerful, but nobody knows how or in what way. This is as true of the XW's as it is of this, but it shouldn't be so. We know it's there, a bullet point on the promo sheets, but what does that actually mean "4 programmable arps"? How many notes in an Arp, what range, how many of them can the PX-5S run on one key press? How are the synced, how can they be played "unsynced" how can they be modified on the fly? Can their output be recorded as MIDI either on the device or out to a DAW? In what ways can this be coordinated with phrase sequencing for more complex pattern play?

Yes, Mike, I've seen your videos on youtube that touch on the surface of the XW's step sequencer, phrase sequencer and arpeggiators.

Here's one of them, but, as it rightly states, this is a QUICK tutorial. Why isn't there more:

// On another note, there's unanswered questions below this video from some time ago - WHY are they not answered? This is the CASIO youtube account, there's really no excuse for this kind of monologue type communication in this day and age.

In German we get a guy doing a "workshop" that's 4 minutes long. I've never been to a workshop that was less than 4 hours long: youtube.com/watch?v=IIM4Ua_9GU8

This is not to say that these things can't be basically understood in 4 minutes, they can. Just like the layers in Photoshop can be grokked in 4 minutes. However the greater power of these things, and their applicability to the Hex layers, the arps and other coordination they can have with the other features of these keyboards, means that fuller explanations of integrating them into creativity on these keyboards should be done - both the for users and as marketing. It's vastly better marketing than using "celebs" in this manner: youtube.com/watch?v=X6ZMdLJBJXk

In support of my argument that celebs are pointless for such products, the explanatory videos from Mike Martin (with near ZERO production quality) have as many views as the "celeb" videos. Yet which do you think have much more influence over both existing and potential purchasers?

Why not put some of that celeb budget into giving Mike both time and a film crew to make really good instructional videos? It's clearly a more productive use of time and money, for both marketing and consumer satisfaction.

Celebrity endorsements instantly become a ridiculous race to the top - of nothing. They don't explain anything. Watch any Jordan Rudess 30 minute demo of a Korg Kronos to see a guy say nothing for a very long time. You can't find a celeb that appeals to everyone, and there's no musician that does either. The best way is someone exactly like Mike Martin simply going through and explaining how to use everything, to the fullest possible advantage of the feature in isolation, in combination with every other feature of the product and then in conjunction with outbound and inbound connectivity as provided by the product. THAT IS ALL YOU NEED. And it's much fuller than simply skimming over things.

But that's all they do, these current videos, they only tickle the surface. Photoshop admittedly sells vastly more copies than these synths do, but it's priced about the same, whilst of similarly all round complexity and functionality. Why not think like software packages and actually really, truly delve into explaining the benefits of something? It's not like the other manufacturers are doing it. So you'll get a "point of difference" out of it, at the very least.

And this guy: youtube.com/watch?v=BVr9HgEURb8 He's good as well, but let him go into much more than superficial introductions. It doesn't cost anything to stream a video a 100,000 times, or a million. It's free. The only cost is making the videos, and that's MUCH cheaper than any single celebrity endorsement.

And these brilliant guys already work for you!

Pay them extra, give them the crews and time they want to work with, and let them present the gear as they know it to be, from the inside out. Far more beneficial to everyone than any faux celebrity being paid to say "uhmmm... yeah, Casio... Good! ... where's my donut?"

AFTERTOUCH !! On the next CASIO will be nice to have .. And I think Mike Martin would do a great user video !!!  Mike knows how to explain the ins and outs of the PRIVIA PX5S.. I am sure there is lots of future support on the way !!

PROS: 1. I really like adding chorus and reverb etc. from the front panel.

2. The action.

3. The velocity when playing other keyboards or modules is perfect for piano as well as the internal sounds.

4. I actually like the white color. EVERYONE makes a black one.

5. The weight (most of all) 24 lbs. with weighted keys and still a substantial casing. Wonderful.

WISH  1. CC  to pedal 2 input.  Seems to be universal among users. This would be such a plus even with a higher price (at least for me).

LIST    2. Headphone inputs in front, instead of  the back. The cable has to go under, over or around the keyboard.

3. Transpose, Octave shift and master tune button from the front panel instead of menu driven. Live players would love it.

4. Changing patches from the left side instead of the right (nobody does this) would allow a player to keep playing and change patches at the same time.

5. Make the keyboard in solid colors, all white, red, black, etc..(guitar players have the rainbow) The last two in this list would make Casio Keyboards totally unique.

• 2 months later...

Dedicated Transpose/octave control instead of menu driven-

Master volume control bypass for audio inputs-

Detailed Tutorials and explanations-

Completely agree.

Furthermore, In 1.2 firmware I would love to have a more effective MIDI keyboard response (I see that it is hard to reach velocity around 128 according to my measurements)

I am enthralled with the feel of the keyboard, i.e. the finger to sound experience.  I love it.   I know some of it has to do with the textured surface. Besides the traction, which is very confidence building, when I touch it I feel as though I'm connecting to something organic. I think the hi definition MIDI makes a difference in the perceived response. This is just a hunch but I think it also feels more solid for not having aftertouch.

The weight is a HUGE plus.

On the wishlist side: Having one of the pedals support an expression function. To be able to raise and lower volume in a particular zone(s) is a big part of my playing, and sorely missed. I know about the envelope 'switch' that's available and I've yet to try it, but a pre timed fade in or out, is not expression.  Please make that part of an upgrade or new model. 

A half pedal function for Virtual instruments that can receive it like Pianoteq and Ivory is also very important.

On the wishlist side: Having one of the pedals support an expression function. To be able to raise and lower volume in a particular zone(s) is a big part of my playing, and sorely missed. I know about the envelope 'switch' that's available and I've yet to try it, but a pre timed fade in or out, is not expression.  Please make that part of an upgrade or new model. 

This was the first thing I asked about. It is the thing that prevents me from purchasing this keyboard. It boggles my mind that a simple thing like this, standard on most boards (even on my Korg Microstation!), was not implemented. Fingers crossed.........

thanks for the info Joe. I had looked into this at the time of that post. Only works on one zone, which isn't that big of a deal, but I don't see spending another 120.00 and looping extra cables for a feature that really should be included on a "pro" caliber keyboard.

This was the first thing I asked about. It is the thing that prevents me from purchasing this keyboard. It boggles my mind that a simple thing like this, standard on most boards (even on my Korg Microstation!), was not implemented. Fingers crossed.........

Apologies up front if this is posted improperly, I've hardly participated in forums before and I'm figuring them out as I go. But to PDrew57: For what it's worth, even though I really miss the expression function,  I have not regretted for one second getting this, and the biggest reason is the action.  It might be the best I've ever tried on synth. And I think there's a big factor involved that I haven't noticed being discussed, (except in the review of the PX350).  The PX5 senses and SENDS high def MIDI. Aside from the internal sounds, if you've got virtual instruments that receive hi def MIDI, it means that instead of 128 steps or gradations, you get 128 squared, or 16,000+ steps. The VI that I use most is Pianoteq and the difference playing it with the PX5 has made this choice completely worth it. So just in case you have yet to play one, I'm posting this to let you know that when I brought my laptop to Sam Ash and plugged it in, I was hooked.

best regards, Ron

Posted perfectly Ron; thanks for the info. Yes, action is very important to me as is lightweight for my aging and finicky back. :) I have a PX-3 just for this purpose. But I have a live situation, as a few others who have posted, where I play left handed bass, making the expression pedal and being able to bring in right hand layers by foot so vital. I am, tho, interested in the MIDI aspect, as I also use the Pianoteq. Perhaps I'll have to bring my laptop to Sam Ash too. :)

Thanks again...

Drew

I am thrilled that there is a phrase recorder/player built-in as well as the ability to play WAVs from a USB drive.  Also, the flexibility in creating splits and layers, specifically with transposed octaves, resolves a lot of problems I've had to deal with on my PX-320 (which I still love).  There seems to be enormous flexibility to create dynamics and effects that I've been itching to do but didn't have the right tools... until now.

That said, I would love to have the flexibility in keymapping things besides note values to the keyboard itself.  For instance, I'd like to send some controller messages via the lowest octave keys.  In the past (on a different keyboard), I've used these to play loops from a sample pad.  It seems that the internal phrase function and USB WAV file playback capabilities will be perfect for this but, as I understand it, they are either locked to an entire zone or triggered by an external controller.  If I could trigger different phrases and WAVs with individual keys, the PS-5X will do everything I've been using four different pieces of equipment to do.  Although I understand a slider or wheel can be rigged to do that, that seems a bit more awkward and it takes up an entire controller.

I've already got the Behringer foot controller, so I have workarounds for this and the expression pedal issues, but to have it all-in-one would be the ultimate controller for my use.  Since I don't really use the expression pedal much (yet), I plan to probably run a MIDI loop out, through my MIDI event processor, and back into the keyboard to filter those keys and relay controller values instead.

On a very minor side note, I would rather have seen SD-card support than USB drive, although I can see very good reasons they would have gone with the USB drive.  On my PX-320, I could leave the SD-card fully inserted all the time, without fear that it would get bumped during transport or setup.  I don't think I'll feel so comfortable doing this with a USB drive that sticks out there more.

Of course, that didn't stop me from ordering a PX-5S, anyway.  It should be here next week!  (I'm trying not to scream like a teenage girl at a Beatles concert!)

• Like 1

I am thrilled that there is a phrase recorder/player built-in as well as the ability to play WAVs from a USB drive.  Also, the flexibility in creating splits and layers, specifically with transposed octaves, resolves a lot of problems I've had to deal with on my PX-320 (which I still love).  There seems to be enormous flexibility to create dynamics and effects that I've been itching to do but didn't have the right tools... until now.

That said, I would love to have the flexibility in keymapping things besides note values to the keyboard itself.  For instance, I'd like to send some controller messages via the lowest octave keys.  In the past (on a different keyboard), I've used these to play loops from a sample pad.  It seems that the internal phrase function and USB WAV file playback capabilities will be perfect for this but, as I understand it, they are either locked to an entire zone or triggered by an external controller.  If I could trigger different phrases and WAVs with individual keys, the PS-5X will do everything I've been using four different pieces of equipment to do.  Although I understand a slider or wheel can be rigged to do that, that seems a bit more awkward and it takes up an entire controller.

I've already got the Behringer foot controller, so I have workarounds for this and the expression pedal issues, but to have it all-in-one would be the ultimate controller for my use.  Since I don't really use the expression pedal much (yet), I plan to probably run a MIDI loop out, through my MIDI event processor, and back into the keyboard to filter those keys and relay controller values instead.

On a very minor side note, I would rather have seen SD-card support than USB drive, although I can see very good reasons they would have gone with the USB drive.  On my PX-320, I could leave the SD-card fully inserted all the time, without fear that it would get bumped during transport or setup.  I don't think I'll feel so comfortable doing this with a USB drive that sticks out there more.

Of course, that didn't stop me from ordering a PX-5S, anyway.  It should be here next week!  (I'm trying not to scream like a teenage girl at a Beatles concert!)

Hey welcome to the PX-5S family! Please let us know how that Behringer  pedal controller works out. - very interested in that.  :) 

As far as the USB drive, it is actually well protected in it's little "cut-out" - i leave one in all the time even when moving it from room to room with no worries. Can't really get snagged on anything the way they designed. it.  The 5S is a monster - you are going to love it!

Would a mini USB drive meet your needs? Something like:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-v165w-Flash-Drive-P-FD4GBHP165-EF/dp/B00404JF80/ref=sr_1_40?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1376115992&sr=1-40&keywords=mini+usb+drive

Welcome to the forum Jaspeter

Hey welcome to the PX-5S family! Please let us know how that Behringer  pedal controller works out. - very interested in that.  :) 

As far as the USB drive, it is actually well protected in it's little "cut-out" - i leave one in all the time even when moving it from room to room with no worries. Can't really get snagged on anything the way they designed. it.  The 5S is a monster - you are going to love it!

Thanks, Mike!  Thanks, Scott!

I'm a little embarassed that I am not as current with today's state of the art in USB drives to have already known about this!  Thanks, willf, for pointing me to the solution!

pro:

SOUND

PORTABLE

rich feature set

con:

lack of suitable foot control over volume

poor rotary sim

lack of a document that sets forth a suggested workflow as basis for effective feature use; industry-wide oversight for many years

- any context at least gets the ball rolling and helps to sort out the jargon

overall, well satisfied with this instrument