Video Files on Forum ×

PX-5S: Features you're glad ARE included. Features you wish WERE included.

SonnyDaye

Hiya. Thanx for the response. We are on the same page. I, too, pan my Bass to the left channel and run it into a bass amp. :)

I don't quite get your volume control tho. if I understand correctly, your piano is to the right with the other sounds, which would mean the volume pedal would control that too.

or perhaps your piano is still set center? That would send piano to the bass amp too, yes?

And yeah, this is a jobbing dance band, and things move along quickly and bounce from here to there; no "set" set list. Not much time to grab sliders and knobs.

I can't understand why CV control would not be included if this is being promoted partially as a stage controller. Seems like quite an oversight to me. :(

I can't understand why CV control would not be included if this is being promoted partially as a stage controller. Seems like quite an oversight to me. :(

Andrew,

I agree with your point of view, however this does not rule out the PX-5S for me. I am more interested in how the board sounds compared to the PX-3.

I also own a PX-3 and sometimes use a Behringer fcb1010 to control swells and volume using midi - but it is a real pain and introduces other limitations so I try and avoid doing this if at all possible. This means that I do not use the PX-3, usually, as a master controller but primarily as a stage piano.

There would appear to be a couple of 'tricks' that have been introduced with the PX-5S to allow layers to be brought in - albeit not in a totally 'flexible' manner. We will have to wait and see how these work in practice. I am also waiting to see the midi implementation for the PX-5S to see what may be possible.

Will

I don't quite get your volume control tho. if I understand correctly, your piano is to the right with the other sounds, which would mean the volume pedal would control that too.

or perhaps your piano is still set center?

The Korg volume pedal has a "Min Level Control" knob. I have the knob set back about 30%. So it's really adjusted more like an "expression" pedal at this point. Next I brought up the piano level so that it's at a comfortable "comping" level when the pedal is eased all the way back. That's the normal position for the pedal unless I get into a solo and need a little extra umph. The pedal gets me there. Next, I adjusted the levels on the e.piano, strings, clavs, transistor organs and tonewheel organs to a similar "comping level" with the pedal eased all the way back as well. It took some time and effort to get this all sorted out but the PX-3's Zone editing ability made it easy enough to do. One other thing I neglected to mention. I play the Privia through a Bose PAS L1 system with (2) B1 Bass Modules. I have the left bass channel going into Channel 1 on the Bose and the output of the volume pedal going into Channel 2. The system has an R1 remote control (about the size of a TV remote) with a 10' cable. I have this control unit velcro'd to the left leg of my keyboard stand. There are individual knobs on the remote for each of the two channels (Treble, Mid, Bass, Channel Level) and Master Level, so I can actually fine tune the bass and other sounds right from the piano bench. Anyhow, that's my current rig. It's not perfect but gets me by for the time being until something more flexible comes along.

Don't forget that the PX-5S does something extremely unique. Regular footswitch pedal inputs can be used like expression pedals. Casio calls it an Envelope Response Pedal. So as the name suggests, you can assign an envelope to the footswitch. This can be use for swells, filter sweeps and more. So if you're playing piano and strings you can have the strings swell in and out at a predetermined rate...up to around 16 seconds. This rate can also be adjusted on the fly using the sliders or knobs. This is how the wah-wah effects are done on the clav sounds on the PX-5S, it is incredibly musical and a great feature.

• Like 1

thanks for all the feedback.

willf-agreed; i am very interested in the sound improvements, I hope. Particularly hoping the mid range of the piano had improved, as well as some of the string sounds.

really would not to prefer jumping thru hoops tho to do something that should be there if Casio is partially promoting the piece as a controller.

pjprevitejr-i get ya now; thanks for the detailed explanation. We are so working the same territory; I combine a combo bass amp with a Bose L1 compact. Use a Behringer mixer sitting on top of the bass amp, and use to send just the left hand to the bass amp.

Mike-does sound cool, but not particularly applicable in my case. I just need to bring in layers with no hands free, and at varying volume levels, depending on the tune.

I suppose I could plug a switch pedal into the 2nd input, and use that as an on/off set volume single layer, yes?

perhaps this might work too?

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodfsw.htm#

Mike-does sound cool, but not particularly applicable in my case. I just need to bring in layers with no hands free, and at varying volume levels, depending on the tune.

I suppose I could plug a switch pedal into the 2nd input, and use that as an on/off set volume single layer, yes?

perhaps this might work too?

The second pedal input can be used to bring the volume of a layer up to a particular level, then back down when you release the pedal. This can be done with an envelope so it fades in musically to a particular level.

Mike, Insead of activating that layer in a momentary fashion, (i.e. - so long as the pedal is depressed the volume is brought up), can it be "toggled" on/off instead using a sustain pedal? (Press once to activate - press again to deactivate). In other words, right now on the PX-3 I have the grand piano on one upper layer and strings on another. When I want to add strings over the piano sound I have to hit the "Layer" button. Are you saying that it would be possible to assign that 2nd pedal input on the PX-5S to switch on and off that particular level? (In my particular circumstance, it's not essential to gradually increase and decrease the level).

Mike, Insead of activating that layer in a momentary fashion, (i.e. - so long as the pedal is depressed the volume is brought up), can it be "toggled" on/off instead using a sustain pedal? (Press once to activate - press again to deactivate).

It is not currently possible, however it will be. I don't like to talk about things that aren't finalized yet but they're already working on some things that did not make it into the initial firmware. There will be an update in April that will add this.....and a whole lot more. ;)

• Like 1

Are you saying that it would be possible to assign that 2nd pedal input on the PX-5S to switch on and off that particular level?

Yes, this is already possible but you'd have to HOLD that pedal down. See my previous post about the "Toggle"....we'll be adding that.

• Like 1

It is not currently possible, however it will be. I don't like to talk about things that aren't finalized yet but they're already working on some things that did not make it into the initial firmware. There will be an update in April that will add this.....and a whole lot more. ;)

Mike,

as Casio are working on new firmware:

would it be possible for the internal stage settings, tones etc, to be controlled by midi. To elaborate: let us say that a stage setting consists of piano and strings - would it be possible to play this stage setting using the keyboard and also allow it to respond to midi cc (expression etc)?

• Like 1

I just have to say, as I have been looking around at other keyboards in this price/weight/feature range, they all seem to be able to handle a CV pedal. Heck, even my Korg Microstation can deal.

I just cannot understand having two pedal inputs and not enabling one of them to support a CV pedal. Can you explain the thinking behind this?

Really, I am looking to buy something in short order, and the Casio seems to have a lot to offer, and I would definitely prefer their keyboard action to other things in this range, but this..one..thing..is really hanging me up; need both me hands to steer the keyboard ship, matey.

oh, and any chance there will be an all black version (nit-picking here)? :)

thanks!

Local control has nothing to do with it. The PX-5S responds to CC#11. I'm not sure if I completely understand your question.

Mike,

I realise that the PX-5S is a different beast. On the PX-3 if I create a registration that contains piano and strings then I can use a Behringer FCB1010 to 'swell' the strings. But the only way that I have managed, this far, to do this is to turn Local Off and then send the midi out from the PX-3 to the FCB1010 and then back to the PX-3 to merge expression data with the keyboard data.

The PX-5S will respond to CC#11 on any MIDI channel. So it the Behringer FCB1010 is set to send expression on MIDI Channel 2 - typically Zone 2 on the PX-5S than that is how the PX-5S will respond. The MIDI loop is not necessary.

Mike,

again, many thanks. I am very much looking forward to trying the PX-5S when they arrive in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

Thanks so much for all of the demo videos and commentary you've provided thus far. I've been on the fence about Privia for a while, but the 5S sealed the deal for me: I'll be replacing my (very heavy) Fantom X as soon as the 5S ships. In the meantime, I have a few questions:

1. I find several "set list" apps available; exactly which one are you using?

2. Basically, any iPad app that can send MIDI bank & program changes (like Lemur or MIDI Touch) should allow me to accomplish the same thing, yes?

3. I definitely need a hard case. You mentioned using a Gator case that fit the 5S well--can you tell me exactly which model that is?

4. Will any acoustic guitar sounds be included (specifically, picked notes as opposed to strums)?

5. Are you planning to include any drum/percussion sounds?

6. Will it be possible to load and playback my own samples (as in WAV files, or some other format)?

Thanks again.

Placed my pre-order yesterday!   :D

Found answers to my questions 4 & 5 above by reading the manual (answer is "yes" in both cases). The software update you posted about answered question 6. I'd still love answers to 1, 2, and 3 (though I'm pretty sure the app you were using is "Set List Maker" by Arlo).

And to get back on topic, after reading the manual, I have two concerns. The first is your choice to use a power adaptor as opposed to a standard power cable. I've never used a keyboard with such an adaptor on live gigs; hopefully the connection is solid and the adaptor won't burn out (like so many I've had die with hard drives). The second is that this is a pretty deep instrument (programming wise) for such a tiny display. I sure hope there's an editor in the works (whether an ios app or something that can be run on a Mac/PC).

There is an editor, Mac and PC. 
You could download the XW editors if you want to get a taste of what it will be like. 

Regarding the display...If you take our XW synth and remove the "mixer" part of the display then the PX-5S has the same "graphic" side.  Personally I find front panel editing faster than an editor with just about any keyboard but that is just me.  There are benefits to both. 

The power adapter is solid.  Also the PX-5S can take 8 AA batteries as a backup. 

• 4 weeks later...

Features I would like too see on the PX5:

I'm not sure if this is already possible but I would like to see the addition of user programmable function keys.   Similar to how you recall different tones and settings on the px-150 (by holding down the function button and then pressing a note on the piano),  but in this case  various system functions would be freely assignable to any of the 88 keys for quick recall during performance.

An example would be:  Master Transpose could be assigned to middle C and D  or any other note you choose.  

This is a simple example but more interesting things could happen with this setup.  The only problem would be remembering what function you assigned to what key.  Some tape and a marker would help.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

There is a feature that should be easy to implement in a future firmware update and that was already present in a Kurzweil 1200 I had many years ago: the ability to create your own velocity curve.

I remember that in the 1200 you were asked to play a key as soft as you could and then as hard as you could and the instrument would then build your personal curve based on these two extremes. It is possible that today there are more sophisticated ways to obtain the same result but this one is for sure a feature I still regret from that keyboard.

If this is not feasible, I would like to have more velocity curves to choose from (like the Kronos has), since just three are not enough, or at least I was unable to find one that really suits me.

There is a feature that should be easy to implement in a future firmware update and that was already present in a Kurzweil 1200 I had many years ago: the ability to create your own velocity curve.

I remember that in the 1200 you were asked to play a key as soft as you could and then as hard as you could and the instrument would then build your personal curve based on these two extremes. It is possible that today there are more sophisticated ways to obtain the same result but this one is for sure a feature I still regret from that keyboard.

If this is not feasible, I would like to have more velocity curves to choose from (like the Kronos has), since just three are not enough, or at least I was unable to find one that really suits me.

Have you tried the third item in the first entry in the FAQ about reducing dynamic range?

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4202-px-5s-faq/