Midi out data for the pedals on the 350?

Guest Dave Polcino

Guest Dave Polcino

Just wanted to know if someone can confirm that the px-350 sends out continuous data for the half-damper pedal or the sustain pedal? Some of the nicer VST instruments use this data, so wanted to check on that before getting one. Thanks!

I'm brand new at this, so you may want to confirm it:

I just used "Reaper" to record the MIDI output from my PX-350. I was playing C D E F G F E D C sequences, and _slowly_ depressing the sustain pedal toward the bottom.

Reaper picked up:

. . . Half-pedal ( param 64, value 72 )

. . . Full-down pedal (param 64, value 127 )

. . . half-pedal (on the way up) (param 64, value 72)

. . . Pedal off ( param 64, value 0 )

So the answer to your question is:

. . . No, the pedal doesn't send intermediate "half-pedal" values.

Now that I have that part working, my next step is to feed the PX-350 "graduated" half-pedal values, and see if the _sound engine_ changes its damping, depending on how "deep" the pedal is pressed.

This stuff is unbelievably fiddly !!!!

. Charles

• Like 1

And in the other direction:

If you send the PX-350 MIDI data that has different values for the "pedal depth" (that is, different "values" in "Pedal Down" (parameter 64) MIDI events),

the _sound engine_ interprets those values nicely:

. . . As the "value" increases, the decay time gets longer, as though the dampers on an acoustic piano were being slowly lifted off the strings.

So whomever designed the PX-350 skimped on the damper-pedal mechanism (it's either "up" / "half-pedal" / "down").

Too bad!

. Charles

PS -- I'm trying to figure out a way to share the MIDI file I've used for testing, and the resulting audio output. Any ideas?

PPS -- try this link for the MIDI file: http://www.adrive.com/public/GXVbwW.html

Guest Dave Polcino

Thanks for doing all that research!

Yes, I found a Casio MIDI implementation manual online, it seems like you can set what "half-pedal" value is sent, but it doesn't send the full range of possible numbers.

Interestingly I saw some various different levels of values in your MIDI file, other than just the "72" you mention.

.ScreenShot013.jpg

I ordered it anyway. I'll use my Motif pedal while I play the 350 if I really need more pedal #s! :)

Guest Charles

I _edited_ the values for the "half-pedal" events ! That's how they got to be 15, 30, 45, . . . 115.

The PX-350 is a good deal -- i've been enjoying mine a lot. This "half-pedal" weakness is a minor thing, I think.