Volume Swells

powertrader

Can anyone tell me how to create volume swells and assign either to a controller or the mod wheel?  

Appreciate any help!

Geoff

Actually, what I am thinking is adding volume swell to tone so that I do not have to use a controller.  Like with Pads, but would like to have stronger swells.

Thanks again,
Geoff

Hi Geoff,

As Brad said, the standard way to create a swell would be with an amp envelope, unfortunately the envelopes for the PCM melody tones are so minimal (only attack and release) you can't use that technique in this case. But there are many other approaches.

You could route the PCM tone through the solo synth, section 3.4.3.3 in AlenK's XW Companion Rev 1, and do a total filter swell instead. This will probably swell the timbre more than the volume, so you may not want that.

So you could set up one of the knobs to control volume and record yourself playing one cycle of a swell in the phrase sequencer, see section 5.1 in XW Companion Rev 1.

Or, given that this is the G1 specific forum, you could sample the PCM tone in the vicinity of the keys you want to play, and play the sample in stead. The sampler has the full suite of amp envelope parameters available to each split and is a great way of expanding the limited envelopes available on PCM melody tones.

• Like 1

Hi Geoff,

As Brad said, the standard way to create a swell would be with an amp envelope, unfortunately the envelopes for the PCM melody tones are so minimal (only attack and release) you can't use that technique in this case. But there are many other approaches.

You could route the PCM tone through the solo synth, section 3.4.3.3 in AlenK's XW Companion Rev 1, and do a total filter swell instead. This will probably swell the timbre more than the volume, so you may not want that.

So you could set up one of the knobs to control volume and record yourself playing one cycle of a swell in the phrase sequencer, see section 5.1 in XW Companion Rev 1.

Or, given that this is the G1 specific forum, you could sample the PCM tone in the vicinity of the keys you want to play, and play the sample in stead. The sampler has the full suite of amp envelope parameters available to each split and is a great way of expanding the limited envelopes available on PCM melody tones.

Hello Brett,

I will mess around with these ideas.  The band I am in is covering the Weeknd "I Can't Feel My Face", I would like to create as much of the swell sound that I can.  Appreciate the information from you.  

Geoff