Video Files on Forum ×

User Wave - Sample Reproduction Issue

CairnsFella

Hi All,

I was going to wait until I had researched further (for reasons you will note below), however as it will now be a few days until I get a chance to revisit this, I thought I would make a note of my - potential - problem here in case anyone has any ideas in the interim.

My problem is in two parts. In fact, the first may not even exist, but for completeness I will outline the problems as I came across them.

As a preface, what I was doing in order to familiarise myself with the sampling functions of the G1 was attempting to create my own piano patch. It has been a number of years since I have done such a thing, but also the previous gear I had used (such as my Yamaha A3000) have been a little more suited to this type of sampling activity, whereas I appreciate the G1 is more of a 'hit' or 'loop' sampler, so it has been a bit of an experience so far.

Anyway.

First Issue.

I reiterate, the second issue probably makes this a 'non' issue, but this is nonetheless how things transpired.

I externally prepped my samples; quite roughly at this point as my initial intent was to establish the optimum splits for each sample to maximise the use of each bank with (on this attempt) two samples per octave. For the first bank I started in the higher registers using the full five splits.

All was going well, but after what seemed to be a successful 'mapping' I noticed that the lowest note of this bank suddenly displayed a strange and prominent artefact from midway through the sample. After a couple of attempts with reimported wav's and little hair pulling - there would have been a lot of hair puling, but I only have a little hair to pull - I decided it must be related to the gain setting in the 'user wave' conversion, as it was akin to turning up the volume during the natural sustain (not looped) of the note. So, I again re-imported the wave and overwrote the original file using a lower gain, went through the whole process again and..... bugger me if it didn't come back. So I did it again and renamed it  this time and wrote to a new slot. Again no luck, and the same for a further couple of attempts.

To the best of my understanding at this time (though this is one aspect that requires a revisit) I did not observe the artefact with the default auto mapping of the samples.

However, this brings me on to my second point.

Second Issue

I basically ran out of time as I established this last problem as I had to leave for work, but I noticed on the sixth attempt that when I was transferring the user wave to the board (dragging and dropping in the Editor Application) although the progress bar showed the correct name at the bottom of the screen, once the wave was transferred it would reflect a previous file name on the G1 side.

I cannot recall the names I used but as en example, a prior wave bank would have been bank2, but when transferring bank5 the progress bar would show bank5 but the transferred file would show bank2. Although originally overwriting an existing slot, I retried a couple of times using empty slots with the same result (and ran out of time). I should also highlight that my first file would have been named (sticking with the examples used) "bank" so the issue obviously did not occur when transferring the second variant (and perhaps the third, as I cannot recall if I used a "1" suffix or a "2" for the second attempt.)

So there it is. As I have emphasized if the problem is due to the G1 "somehow" receiving an earlier file instead of the updated one then it is the second issue at fault as my revised attempts would be merely replicating the initial ones with the 100% gain setting.

IF, however, the revised files were being transferred and it is merely a 'naming' problem occurring via the transfer, then I will still be left with the 'first issue' as detailed.

I understand that there are more things I can try and as such I understand if no-one wishes to chime in at this point, but until I get a chance to sit back down with the G1 if you DO have any nuggets of wisdom, they would be gratefully received.

Thanks All.

CairnsFella,

I think I have experienced what you refer to in issue 1: growly, distorion-like artefacts in the sampler on some keys. Like you I thought it may be due to some kind of overload and tried reducing the gain setting in the editor during saving. That didn't work.

Two things do work for me. First, don't make the sound too loud in the underlying wav file. I do my preparation in Audacity and if I keep the maximum amplitude in the waveform BELOW -5dB or -6dB, the problem doesn't arise. This suggests that it does have something to do with overloading the sampler - amp, pitch shifter, internal digital waveform representation or whatever.

Second, the problem only seems to occur after editing Points directly on the G1. Set your loops in the computer editor and don't go into Points and that seems to work, even though it's a lot easier to edit loop points on the G1 itself than in the editor. If you really want to edit points on the G1, keep the volume down, as per previous paragraph.

• Like 1

BrettM

Thanks for your kind response.

I had indeed been using Audacity (probably due to a previous recommendation from yourself), and similarly have been using the PC editor for everything I can as I prefer it to the boards UI (though - as I am about to note in another question, it isnt always avoidable).

I have some additional time with the G1 today and tomorrow. To vary things a bit I am working on a step sequence today, but tomorrow I will revisit and repeat my sampling exercise. I may well video the process so that 1. I can review it myself just to make sure I have done exactly what I believe I had, and 2. so that I can be very definitive on what I report.

I will incorporate the other suggestion you kindly provided into this further attempt and report back.

Many thanks.