Video Files on Forum ×

Expression (CC#11) vs volume (CC#07) and Performance DSP

BrettM

A number of discussions have advocated the use of CC#11 to control volume, rather than the more obvious volume parameter, CC#07; e.g., http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4595-how-to-set-sliders-1-4-to-control-volume-of-zones-1-4/?hl=express#entry7988

I've just stumbled on an even better reason, at least for an XW-G1, but I suspect it works the same for a P1.

You've probably noticed that, within Performance mode, all zones whose DSP Line is enabled are tied together. They obviously share the same DSP, but they are also forced to share the same volume, pan position and reverb send. I've always thought that this meant you lose the ability to mix or blend these zones independently, but that's only the case if you try to do it via volume (CC#07). If you use expression instead (CC#11), you can mix the relative volumes of all zones whose DSP Line is enabled. The only shortcoming is that, unlike volume, expression is not saved within a Performance so you have to set it each time. Assigning a knob to send CC#11 to the desired zone is a good way to do the mixing. It's also a good way to "turn off" a DSP enabled zone on the fly while leaving another DSP enabled zone still sounding: just turn it's expression down to zero.

I haven't tested this, but I suspect that the same thing happens for channel/parts accessed from within the Step Sequencer. You can probably use one of the control parts to adjust the expression of channel/parts whose DSP Line is enabled to get the desired mix between all parts sharing the DSP.

• Like 3

They obviously share the same DSP, but they are also forced to share the same volume, pan position and reverb send.

I actually only noticed this yesterday.....  I thought was going nuts. Using the editor I could 'see' the simultaneous volume movement, but I thought I must have selected sum sort of 'link' option by mistake..

I haven't tested this, but I suspect that the same thing happens for channel/parts accessed from within the Step Sequencer. 

My limited experience suggests this may well be the case as I wondered why certain 'parts' of a step sequence / chain keep getting their levels screwed up? I'm couldn't be sure yet though. Still learning and beginning to get a bit of a list of 'unexplained' occurrences, but not confident enough yet to state that I am not missing something (and one of the items on my list is almost the opposite type of problem).

Seriously though, great tip.... but really a mad mad mad problem in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...

The fact that expression is not saved within a Performance creates a pretty serious gotcha - it's not reset between Performances either. So if you lower, or zero, expression for a zone in one Performance and then change to another one, you're left with the previous expression value in the new Performance.

Worst case scenario is silencing a zone by zeroing its expression and then changing to a new Performance only to find that one of its zones is off. If the new Performance doesn't have a quick way to reset expression for the zone back to 127, via a knob or multifunction key, say, then you would have to go back to the old Performance with the expression control. This could get very confusing in a live situation.

So the rule is: if you change expression in a Performance, reset it before leaving that Performance.

Expression is the only way to mix zones that are tied by the common DSP line, but may not be the best way to change the volume of a zone otherwise.