GM does not play files right Please help

gary3917

I would love if you all can add some smooth jazz styles to the px 560 then you would rule above Yamaha and Roland styles. I paid for and downloaded some professional GM-SMF smooth jazz midi files from some jazz sites but they will not play correctly in the PX 560 but play perfectly on my Kawai MP7 and my Yamaha and my Roland F08 w/o any adjustment to the machines where as I must make internal changes on my PX 560 . I just thought by now the new Casio px 560 would have been more user friendly with the SMF files like the other competition. Should be good ole plug and play . Very disappointing for sure .Do you think the SMF converter on the Casio download will fix this ? It does not mention the px 560 usability with the SMF converter on the Casio site .. the sounds are wacked out...I set the keyboard to GM and it still sounds nutty .Is there a way to set the GM up the right way to play the files and be done with it ? The manual is very vague . Please forgive me as I have posted this on the facebook site but still not working. I also did a reset to no avail. Sheesh !

• Like 1

It is my understanding that they us Midi2 standard program changes. You have to us a music software of some kind (cakewalk or cubase or whatever) to input control changes to set midi channel 10 to do drums. Please search on the forum for the px360. There you will find the program changes needed to have midi 10 set correctly. I hope his helps?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue! They use CC controllers, MSB and LSB. But I can't figure it out. They use cc# 120 and a value of 0, I think! And then a cc# 32 value of 0 , then a program change of whatever patch kit you want. Cakewalks program change has 4 levels to program change. One, normal, 2. 0, etc, then you pick a program number. But I can't get mine to switch correctly. I have asked Mike Martin several times to give me an example of what needs to be inputed to my DAW. But I am getting the same answer, "Casio px560 uses midi 2 withe the above mentioned. But I need to see an example.

• Like 1

:banana:Yah hoo! I got it! Okay, for those who are having the same problem? It should go like this in Sonar-DAW program: control 0  value 120, next, control 32 value 0, then your program change: program -normal 0 or 1 for standard kit. (3 entries).  I am still have the problem with the saved midi file song. I save it with the new settings and it still doesn't set the drum track. These changes I did through a midi out to the midi in of the keyboard. Now the saved song is a issue?????????

• Like 2

I haven't used Sonar and can't answer your questions for that platform.

My DAW experience since getting the PX-560, is only with GarageBand.  Of course the PX-560 couples flawlessly with GB, since GB is so simple.  My KB usage doesn't get under the hood very much, and I typically just play the dang songs in my songbooks and fake sheets.  When in GB, I select a drum kit and pattern, then it does the drumming for me. Using the drum pads would be ok too.  To that rythm, I play a keyboard chord progression on another track, then layer other instruments into separate tracks until the whole band is playing with me; up to 32 tracks before having to merge tracks.  Provided the merged tracks are decent sounding, the process could continue till there is no longer any ideas as to where the song needs more stuff.  LOL