Video Files on Forum ×

saving settings for wk-7600

musikrx

Basically, I am unable to lower volume of the upper split point (right hand melody/harmony/improve) or raise the accompaniment volume..  Because of this, I can't hear the accompaniment well enough.  As I turn up the volume, the entire keyboard gets louder.  I need the accompaniment louder.  I would like to be able to turn up the bass line and drums.  Yes - I have made user settings but I still would have liked to use the mixer and be able to save globally.  Please let me know if I'm completely out of line or misunderstanding what I heard.  If the manual says you can save something, then it should be true.  If not, I've wasted lots of time.  I also don't change settings from patch to patch, that is not efficient either.  Please someone, let me know if there is a solution to this problem.  Tech support gave an unconvincing "we're trying to fix the problem, have you looked at the user forum?"

Thank you!

You can save Accompaniment Volume as part of the WK-7600's default power up settings. See the section Default (Default Settings) beginning about half-way down the left hand column on Page E-134 of the manual.  The keyboard will then power up with the setting you have chosen, and that setting will remain until you change it manually (even if you select different rhythms), or until you select a Registration that changes it.  You can even include a Registration filter as part of the power up defaults that will keep Registrations from changing it, but that filter freezes ALL accompaniment settings, not just the volume.  I don't think you would want that.  Since Registrations will change Accompaniment Volume, then saving it as part of your registrations is the better way to go, if you use Registrations.  Now, if you just want to adjust the volumes of certain accompaniment rhythm tracks (ie, drum, bass, etc), those parameters are saved as part of a User Rhythm.  You just need to bring up the Rhythm you are interested in, edit the tracks in question with the mixer, and save it as a User Rhythm.  I currently have 9 arranger keyboards, of all different price ranges, from 3 different manufacturers, here in the studio with me.  All of them have their own version of a "mixer" function which allows me to adjust various track parameters (volume, pan, etc) of accompaniment rhythms, and allows me to save my changes to User Rhythms, but NONE of them allow me to set individual accompaniment track parameters "globally".  Keyboards are just not designed that way.  Those are more the design features of a simple drum machine, not an arranger keyboard.  Yamaha offers two model lines that offer very, very, fine tuning on their registration "freeze" options, to make some settings seem more "global", but still not quite as fine as what you are looking for.  The lower priced model of those is currently selling for around $2600, and the top of the line model is running around $6000.

I find it interesting that you need to raise the volume of the accompaniment.  I typically need to reduce it, particularly the drum and bass tracks, so that they do not over power the right hand melody parts.

• Like 1

Thank you for your very detailed response.  I have saved already with the instructions on pg. 134.  The problem is that the settings won't save.  When I get to step 5 and press Enter - there is no "complete".  Nothing happens.  Even though I have gone into the parameter list and identified which I can change, and then tried to save - nothing.  I love the Casio for it's light weight and it does alot, I just can't hear the accompaniment above the guitar player and he is standing very close to the speaker.

When you press ENTER in Step 5, that is not where you are supposed to get the "Complete" message, so I suspect that you are missing something in Step 4, but let's just take it from the top.

1. Start with the keyboard powered OFF. (So we know we are both starting at the same point.)

2. Power the keyboard ON.

3. Press the FUNCTION button.

4. The top line of the display should show that you are on Page 1 of 2 ( 1 / 2 ) of the -Function- menu.

5. Press the RIGHT ARROW ( > ) button once to go to Page 2 of 2 ( 2 / 2 ) of the -Function- menu.

6. There should be a large blue dot to the left of the word Volume (indicating that that entry is currently selected).

7. Press the DOWN ARROW ( V ) button twice to move the large blue dot to the left of the word General.

8, Press the ENTER button.

9. The top line of the display should show that you are on Page 1 of 2 ( 1 / 2 ) of the -General- menu.

10. Press the RIGHT ARROW ( > ) button once to go to Page 2 of 2 ( 2 / 2 ) of the -General- menu.

11. There should be a large blue dot to the left of the word AutoResume with the word [[oFF]] in heavy brackets to the right.

12. In Step 11, above: If [[on]] is in the heavy brackets, use the Data Wheel to change it to [[oFF]].

13. Press the DOWN ARROW button once to move the large blue dot to the left of the word Default.

14. Press the ENTER button.to go to the -Default- menu.

15. There should be a large blue dot to the left of the word Clear.

16. Press the DOWN ARROW ( V ) button once to move the large blue dot to the left of the word Store.

17, Press the ENTER button.

18. The display screen should now be asking you if you are  Sure ?  you want to do this ( yes or no).

19. Press the YES ( + ) button.  You must press YES or NO here - not ENTER.

20. Now is when you should momentarily see the Complete ! message.

21. DO NOT PRESS THE FUNCTION BUTTON AS INSTRUCTED BY THE MANUAL.  That does not work here.

22. Press the EXIT button 3 times to return to the normal playing screen.

23. Your power up defaults should now be set.

Hope this helps !  Good luck !

Regards,

Ted

• Like 1

musikrx:

I wanted to keep this discussion separate from the instructions above, so that the instructions do not get lost.  I have seen a couple of discussions among gigging keyboardists recently about your problem.  In every case, the complaint was the same.  The keyboardist could not hear the keyboard over the other instruments in the band, yet when they questioned friends in the audience about it, there was no problem or when they listened to live recordings of their performance, there was no problem.  It seemed that only the keyboardist could not hear the keyboard during the live performance.  You say you are using powered speakers, but if they are facing the audience, you may need a second set (close field monitors) facing you.  If the ones you have are already facing you, then your problem is bigger than I thought.  You could try headphones, but that may stifle the other instrument sounds too much, and at the sound levels you are talking about, that may not be a good idea for your hearing anyway.  Other than a few guitar gigs when I was in high school, I have always been a "one-man-bander" since I "graduated" to keyboards, so I have never had to deal with this problem.  Perhaps some of the "band" experienced members here will join in with some sage (stage ?) advice.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted

OH MY GOSH!!!! IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!   YAY -  Thank you!  OKay - so maybe the casio tech meant to say that the manual had a misprint.  Not sure - but really glad this worked.   I am moving on to explore what the one-touch presets are about.  Once again - I appreciate your careful attention and time.  If you were close by - I would bring you cookies!

• Like 1

I am glad that worked for you.  Most of the time, it is a case of the manual being too vague, and you just need someone to restate it for you in a little more specific terms.  I am still not convinced that this is going to resolve your problem with not being able to hear the keyboard during a performance, but I guess that is another story for another day.  Best of luck, all the same !

It was mostly the bass and drums.  I think using only the speakers on the keyboard mutes the sound and probably wouldn't provide adequate sound to use alone on a gig even in a small room.  I was practicing with the guitar player with only keyboard speakers because we were in the house but we could barely even hear the metronome even when turned up.  I put keyboard it through a speaker and it was fine.  I just sent a post about using the mixer with registrations.  I look forward to your response.