Favorite Rhodes sound for solos

dama

thanks for you input raymb1.

I like the Dyno also. One of the sounds I also use is the DistDynoEP JK. It has alot of punch and cuts through the mix very well. It is also pretty much balanced except for the Keys A7 and higher.Those keys are very sharp and loud.

I like some of the other more deep full bodied sounds like DeepDynoRhods, BJz Rhodes and New Roadz. The problem I have with those sounds are that they sound great, but lose some volume and brilliance in the upper registers (sometimes just an octave of notes), when soloing. Maybe this is a characteristic nature of the deeper Rhodes sounds or maybe its the way I am striking the keys.

Do you folks alter or fine tune your sounds sounds in the mixer settings to compensate for ex. for notes that seem to jump out in volume?

On BJzRhodes (and I think most of the others) you could try boosting slider #3 a bit for a little more bell tone; that'll help it cut through. It's been a long time since I posted it, but I'm still using a slight variation of it as my primary Rhodes. I agree a little chorus can fatten it up and smooth it out. A touch of phaser could help too. I've never been happy with the PX phaser, but I've been experimenting a lot with it lately and I'm coming close to something I like. I'll post it when I think it's usable. You could always try a little compression too. I haven't messed with the compressor in the PX, but it's right there waiting...

I assume you both are using the "Dyno Ep" that is factory sound in the Ep category. I also have been the using the custom DynoRhds (https://soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/px-5s-dynorhds),made by Dave Weiser. It has a harder edge though and I like different sounds that happen depending on how hard the keys are hit.

I need to reload some of the factory presets to get the back into my PX-5s to get the features of the sliders to work properly with the standard Air 1 Ep. I like using the RoadzPhazr (https://soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear), it has some bight in the higher end, but the phased sounds need to be played in stereo.

I also recently found that using the "SW Rhodes" (http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/689-sw-rhodes/), without the arpeggiator button engaged, is a nice fairly smooth sound works well and cuts through well. It sounds great played in stereo with arpeggiator though.

It's good to hear your experiences using the different sounds.