ADSR editing - PC Editor

Hi All,

Sorry in advance. I perhaps ask my daftest questions when I am away from the board and have a bit of time on my hands at work.

Essentially, I assume that there is no way to affect where the manual sustain element (the dotted line) of the EG occurs. My goal is to have a pre-determined period of sustain that is unaffected by the key press duration: in other words have 'no' manually influenced sustain. I feel I must be missing something obvious, but I just haven't been able to achieve this despite several attempts.

Any views welcome, even if they make me look an idiot.

EDIT.

And as soon as I post this I think of something I did - potentially - miss. Please ignore until such time I recheck and post back. Sorry.

Step Sequencer. 

There is a way to do that. I rather have it as an integrated part to the solo synth and tones edit.

It is possible to program that in one of the four controls of the step sequencer you need 

to select channel 1 as it the only freely playable channel to do this. Choose note duration, swing

how many steps needed to make it sound as you want.

There might be a trick to do a pseudo kind of it in the solo-synth using some sync or timing I have 

not delve this deep.

Thanks for the response and suggestion XW.

Unfortunately the Step Sequencer is otherwise fully employed as part of the project where I established this problem, but thanks for this anyway as it may well be useful at some other point.  Also the idea I had did not work.

Like yourself, I still feel there may be a way to achieve this with some convoluted editing. I'm not going to lose sleep over it though (I only wanted to achieve this in order to compensate for my poor playing abilities anyway).

If I ever do find a way though I will note it down here.

Cairnsfella,

You can't set the timing of an envelope Sustain parameter, because Sustain is a level parameter, not a timing parameter, whose period is determined by key press duration, by definition.

But I think the “auto-sustain” effect you're after can be achieved using one of the genuine timing parameters, viz. Attack Time, Release Time1 or Release Time2. Here are the results of a few envelopes I investigated:

Envelope .........................1......2......3......4

Init Level......................126......0......0......0

Attack Time.....................127......0......0......0

Attack Level....................127......0......0......0

Decay Time........................0......0......0......0

Sustain Level.....................0....127......0....127

Release Time1.....................0....127......0....127

Release Level1....................0....126....127....126

Release Time2.....................0......0....127....127

Release Level2....................0......0....126....125

Total Time of Sound in seconds...24....8.5....8.5.....17

So you can get up to 24 seconds of “auto-sustain” from Envelope 1, so long as you hold the key down. Adjust Attack Time for a duration less than this. You can also set Decay Time to create an “auto-release” effect.

If you just want to tap a key and let the release stages of the envelope handle the rest, try Envelopes 2-4.

Note that if the level parameter between two times is the same, e.g., 127 to 127 instead of 127 to 126, the XW effectively cancels the first stage, i.e., it acts as if the time parameter is zero.

This obviously only applies to the solo synth or user waves on the G1. PCM tones don't have such advanced envelopes. On the G1, you can sample a PCM tone and play the sample to give it one of these envelopes.

BrettM,

Thanks for your post.

Your opening statement is of course quite correct. I had wrongly phrased my 'requirement', as the 'result' is something I know I have achieved in the past on at least one of my old synths, but without recalling what I did my initial 'mental picture' made me think of a definable sustain period. To be fair, it remains possible that this was in fact what I did as I have no idea where that patch is or if it is still around, and whilst convention does only assign a 'level' to sustain, I am pretty sure I have come across boards with a separate "sustain time" parameter, though I guess it is a rarity.

I am at work at the moment, but looking at my WSA1 manual, it does have a second sustain element, however there is no indication in the manual as to what determines the duration of that parameter. A quick google of ADSDSR envelopes in general though, suggests that commonly the first sustain merely defines the level at which the second decay phase initiates. (I guess this is much like the XW's release levels) Thinking out loud though, if the initial decay is a low value (slight/non existent), and the second decay is a high value (extreme/total), then this may have provided the effect I recall achieving.

Either way, it would seem that what I have done previously is likely at least 'similar' to the ideas you have suggested.

The table you have posted is most useful, and most interesting, and makes me want to run similar tests when I get home.

Thanks again.