Video Files on Forum ×

Exciting New Features

AlenK

Hey, guys and gals. The fact that the MZ-X models haven't been released yet shouldn't stop us from talking about them. I'll get the ball rolling.

For me, the most promising features of the MZ-X models are the Versatile Tones and the articulations, the latter in association with the pads. They are promising because they should allow for much better emulations of acoustic and electric (including electromechanical) instruments, not just in the MZ-X models but in future Casio keyboard models as well.

This is territory already explored by Yamaha, Korg and Roland with varying degrees of success: Yamaha with their Super Articulation (SA & SA2), Expanded Articulation (XA) and Mega voices; Korg with DNC (Defined Nuance Control) and Roland with APS (Articulative Phrase Synthesis), which was rolled into their current SuperNatural Acoustic voices. Now Casio is joining the party.

The MZ-X User Guides say almost nothing about Versatile Tones or articulations but the Appendix documents contain some juicy details. Looking at the MZ-X500 Appendix document page 15 shows how the various samples (I assume) that make up each of the four Versatile Tones, which are all guitars (one is a bass guitar) and the supported strumming patterns are mapped across velocities and the MIDI note range. I suspect these would be fairly challenging to play manually with precise control but are probably well used by the accompaniment patterns. Hopefully in the future we will see more Versatile Tones downloadable to MZ-X and future keyboard models.

Page 16 of the MZ-X500 Appendix document contains a list of Sampled Pitch Forms. They have names like HoriVib, VertVib, FretVib, PullingOff, Choking, GlissDown, GlissUp, TremVib, TremChop, Trumpet Fall, etc. These names suggest they are pitch-change-based articulations for a number of different instruments. As the Pad Bank List on page 34 and the "Art" Pad Data List on page 35 show, these and other articulations can be triggered by the pads. It's all very, very promising and I hope Casio releases additional documentation and/or tutorial videos to show how best to use them.

• Like 2

I'm just excited about everything. Hex layers with mono mode and legato, bass synth with new waveforms made just for bass, PX-5s drum set editing, PX-5s parametric master EQ and that rich reverb, 16 pads, sampling, 40 watt sound system, touch screen with X/Y touch controller, a hefty smattering of new samples on board plus more.  I could go on but I'll wait.   B)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/02/2016 at 8:45 PM, BradMZ said:

I'm just excited about everything. Hex layers with mono mode and legato, bass synth with new waveforms made just for bass, PX-5s drum set editing, PX-5s parametric master EQ and that rich reverb, 16 pads, sampling, 40 watt sound system, touch screen with X/Y touch controller, a hefty smattering of new samples on board plus more.  I could go on but I'll wait.   B)

Hi there,  just seen this shipping forecast on Facebook:  Mike Martin announcing Casio MZ-Xs shipping end of March for sale early April. 

ShippingAhoy!.png

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the pricing gotten out its nearly in my budget range :P. I've delved deeper and listen around the latest video's,

there is so much in that keyboard actually lots what I can use to build my music and I'm struggling with my choice for it.

Specially where I like synthesis which there is , sampling , pads , hexlayers. I got nearly a lot out of the XW the step sequencer

is phenomenal but I don't want to spoil myself and decided to wait how hard it is to me to do so cause chances are I'll do it 

within a finger snap.

If you don't really want an arranger you might want to wait a little longer. I am hopeful that a successor to the XW-P1/G1 is next in the product cue. In the last year or so Casio has updated their entire digital piano line aside from a true successor to the PX-5S (the PX-560 isn't quite that) and most recently their arranger keyboard line (the MZ-X models of course!) The XW line is now over four years old and if Casio follows the order of previous non-home-piano introductions it's next in line. Mind you, there is probably more of an argument to be made for updating the PX-5S. The 5.3-inch touchscreen and expression pedal input are just what that product needs. 

What could an XW successor look like? See my post in the XW General Discussion section for my attempt at prognostication. 😊

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14 april 2016 at 2:53 AM, AlenK said:

If you don't really want an arranger you might want to wait a little longer. I am hopeful that a successor to the XW-P1/G1 is next in the product cue. In the last year or so Casio has updated their entire digital piano line aside from a true successor to the PX-5S (the PX-560 isn't quite that) and most recently their arranger keyboard line (the MZ-X models of course!) The XW line is now over four years old and if Casio follows the order of previous non-home-piano introductions it's next in line. Mind you, there is probably more of an argument to be made for updating the PX-5S. The 5.3-inch touchscreen and expression pedal input are just what that product needs. 

What could an XW successor look like? See my post in the XW General Discussion section for my attempt at prognostication. 😊

I think the MZ-X is just as much a synth workstation as an arranger...    It might as well replace both the XW instruments as the WK arrangers...  

I think the formfactor of the MZ-X promisses to be the right base for future instruments...  A high end synth workstation with added solo synth(s) and more arpegiators could be a first step.... Maybe even a high end piano workstation based on this concept... High end casio piano sounds, solo synth, arpeggiator options for every voice, step sequencer....  If they combine this with an integrated version of akai VIP, 8 encoders, and audio over USB for ultimate VST integration...  It would blow everything on the market out of the water...

to me MZ-X shows how an integrated arranger in a synth workstation can be a perfect part for creating EDM, fusion as well as classical music and other performances...  It shows it is okay to have added arranger finctionallity in an inuitive workstation... The Mz-x is a workstation from which the arranger is just a part.. 

• Like 1

On 2016-04-23 at 1:49 PM, Bachus said:

I think the MZ-X is just as much a synth workstation as an arranger...    It might as well replace both the XW instruments as the WK arrangers...

For the record I don't believe the MZ-X is in any sense (even theoretically) Casio's successor to the XW line. The arranger-specific features, as well as the internal speakers, are antithetical to the expectations of synthesizer customers. Besides which, Casio has unequivocally identified the MZ-X500 as an arranger, not as a synth workstation. There's nothing wrong with that and it doesn't mean the MZ-X500 can't be used for making any kind of music. But it does mean that the majority of people who want to buy a synthesizer will not even look at it. Unless Casio has decided once again to abandon the synth market there will be a true successor to the XW line.

On 26 april 2016 at 7:14 PM, Scott Hamlin said:

100% agree with AlenK. While the MZ-X series has hexlayers, solo synth, and bass synth tones it lacks the step-sequencer which to me is the heart of the XW synths. I don't view the MZ's as a successor, but rather a supplement to the existing synth line. 

Only time will tell waht position the Mz-x will take, it certainly a lot of synthesizer capabillities for an arranger (which i love) . Tough i dont think it has the solo synth of the XW on board (which would be awesome if i was wrong) ...

i agree with you that it would be cool if the step sequencer would have made it too..  Also there is only one single arpeggiator if i am correct..  I would have loved to see arpeggiator parts for all keyboard parts...

please correct me if my facts are not correct, (solo synth/arpeggiator) but thats what i ubderstood so far from reading the manuall..  

The MZ-X has a solo synth as mono hex layer tones.  The architecture is different from the XW however.  The XW has a total filter, where the MZ has seperate filters for each layer.  The MZ does not have the same synth waves as the XW and also does not have osc sync.  On the other hand, the MZ adopts the richness of the PX-5S synth. Filter sweeps are smooth when pushed hard and the effects are rich. Each keyboard has its own unique sound.  These are early days for me and the MZX.  Still lots to explore and synth programming to tinker with.