PX-6?s Next Model Wishes

aron

So.... let's see what we want for the next model?

I love the PX-5S, so what do I wish it had?

MONO mode

8 siders/buttons/knobs with 8 zones - if not possible, then 6.

More modeled DSP - even up to 2 per slot

For each slider - direct zone address - so Zone 1 ON/OFF Zone 2 ON/OFF

Metronome and/or completely separate drum track.

to start.

Yes, but you have to turn them off for each zone that doesn't want to use them. What I am asking is that if you want slider 1 to affect zone 1 ON/OFF, you simply choose that rather than a generic ZONE ON/OFF command which then needs to be filtered for each zone that doesn't want it. There can still be an ALL ON/OFF command.

Hi,

How about some more modern e.p.samples.

I also own a Yamaha Tyros 5, and for some reason both Yamaha and Casio provide no shortage of Fender Rhodes and DX7 type sounds. (E.P. sounds from 25-40 years ago). Korg seem to be the only ones that provide more modern, usable samples.

Can I just say that I am totally blown away by PX5-S and whatever the replacement model has on it, I will be buying it. I am also a massive fan of Mike Martin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65FnK_j3mWw

The type of E.piano sounds I'm looking to get, please listen between 7minutes 15 seconds and 7 minutes 21 seconds. 

Could we also have a slightly bigger screen to work with.

Chris

Hello guys! I'm new here and bought my px5s to about 4 months to really enjoying ! But come on : have a version 73 or 76 buttons, sliders and simulation of harmmond / organ Electromecanicos ... I miss a good Ep DX and FM , downloaded the forum I have delighted some and know not plan to raise my own sound gets a little complicated ... But that's ...

Hi BradMZ,

If you can offer any assistance I would really appreciate it.

Although I have had my PX5-S for over a year now, I loaded in Mike Martin's stage settings and just used them. Today I spent eight hours plowing through Mikes Youtube videos (back to basics, etc) reading manuals and loading and trying out E.Piano voices. Fortunately I'm retired, so times not an issue. Despite this, any pointers would be greatly appreciated on how to get that elusive modern E.Piano sound.

Michaeln2, thanks for posting in this thread. Hopefully now that a couple of us have shown an interest in this type of E.Piano sound maybe some other forum members can help.

It's only an observation, but it's funny how so many people crave Wurlitzer, Fender Rhodes, Hammond, Vox, Farfisa sounds etc, despite them already being around for a lifetime. I know I bought a Numa 2 organ just to recreate the drawbar Hammond sound (it also has an awesome leslie sim built in). I also have a friend who owns an digital expander that recreates the famous Wurlitzer theatre organ sound.

Chris

Hi,

Thank you Aron, I'll be having a try at creating some E.P. sounds at my end but I doubt they will sound as good as yours.

If you get an opportunity, could you have a quick listen to the video (link in posts 4 and 8 of this thread).

That's the sound Michaeln2 and I am trying to get.

Chris

Will make a few tomorrow when I get back to work. 

I said this three years ago. I'll say it again......76 Key version!! I still think it would be a big seller.

I've been playing my PX-5s for almost three years now and have rarely used those extra 12 keys! :)

And it sure would be great to have a smaller version with less weight and easier portability available!

Hi Aron,

Thank you for that. I'm currently downloading sounds from these Forums and trying them out. I'll download those E.Piano sounds tomorrow and try them out. 

Also thank you to Brad MZ for the advice. I found all the core samples in the PX5-S, but the business of mixing with DSP, chorus, and effects to make a close enough E.Piano sound won't be easy as I have no experience of sound creation, therefore I have asked Dave Weiser if he would be able to listen to the youtube video I posted and possibly create a similar sound for me.

Chris

Hi Aron,

Thanks for your advice on this one.

I'm currently trying to get my head around the workings of the PX5-S as I'm so use to just pushing presets for my sounds.

I accept what you say about the sound on the video and hope it's as easy as that to recreate. My gut feeling is that it might be more complicated than that.

Dave Weiser came back to me saying that if I search around the various uploads people have made for the PX5-S I should find something very similar.

He also mentioned the Casio PX5-S Facebook group.

I'll keep looking and hopefully other helpful people like yourself will also post their efforts for download.

Once I come up with anything I think is useful I will also post them on the Casio forum.

Thanks again

Chris

Is the DXEP1 not working for you?

Dave and others like me have owned the DX7, we know exactly what it sounds like. I'm not sure what you are hearing.

Maybe the sound on the video had a little more bass, but it's the same type of DX7 EP sound. That's why Dave said that. This is a generic DX7 FM sound. If you are hearing something else, it's either effects or ???

• Like 1

Hi Aron,

I worked through a batch of sounds from the Casio downloads section last night and will be trying out your DXEP1 sound tonight along with some others. Sorry if I gave the impression I did not think the sound from the video is a generic DX7 sound. I honestly hope it is as my search will be over.

I'm trying to get to grips with the effects sections and the DSP on the PX5-S and as I'm a particularly slow learner (over 60's) it's all a bit confusing at the moment. I have owned the piano for almost a year without delving into the menus and now I'm trying to learn it all in less than a week.

Thank you again for taking the time to upload the E.Piano sounds, and I'm sorry I'm taking so long to try them out. Newbies like me would be lost without help from members like yourself, so please don't think I don't appreciate all that you have done.

Thanks again,

Chris

Hi Aron,

I tried your three E.Piano uploads. DX EP1 and 2 are the closest to the sound I am looking for although I will need to adjust some of the effects to get it closer to the sound on the video. The sound on the video is definitely DX7 based FM E.Piano. Thanks for that.

While I was searching, I came across a stage setting called 'EP Say Name'. It's the very first E.Piano upload on page 5 of the E.Piano section on this site. It's got all four zones enabled. If you switch off zone 4 and possibly zone 3, the sound is almost identical to the sound I'm looking for. With zone three enabled it still sounds very effective. I'm going to work on this stage setting to see if I can make a couple of minor adjustments to it. I'll upload it if I think it may be useful to anybody else. It's really crazy that the sound I was searching for was the very first E.Piano sound uploaded by a member back in August 2013 !!

Chris

p.s. I would love to get your opinion on this sound in comparison to the one on the video.

Chris,

The problem is I have been using FM keyboards since the DX in 1985. As soon as I hear that sound - they all sound similar to me - and will be to most people. If you hear some type of big difference, then you are most likely hearing something specific like the effect or something else.

Almost every keyboard ever made since the DX7 will include some sort of DX Electric Piano - if it's sample based.

For yours, switch off zone 3 and 4 and save it.

The effect on the video is chorus. Play around with the speed/feedback and wet level.

Hi Aron,

I will dabble with the speed/feedback and wet level along with the other effects. It's as near to perfect a copy of the one on that video, and I know I'll get a lot of mileage with that voice alone. 

I'm sorry I made such a fuss on the Forums trying to get members involved in creating a copy of that sound. As Dave Weiser said, 'there will be a similar voice uploaded already on the Casio Forums'. And there was !!! I cannot believe it was the first E.Piano sound ever uploaded on the Forum.

I hope I can be of some help to other Forum members when the time comes.

Many thanks

Chris

p.s. I can remember when the Yamaha DX7 was introduced and went head to head with the Korg M1, two legendary synths. Several years later I purchased a used Korg T1 which was an 88 note weighted keyboard with M1 type synth inside it. Only problem was you needed two people to lift it. Mind you, I only ever used it for the piano sound. How things have changed with the Casio PX5-S which you could carry under one arm !!

• Like 1

Getting back to the PX-6S wishes;

1. How about a compare button so you can easily switch between the stage setting your editing vs. the original saved stage setting. This would be like a quick A/B compare on the fly mode. I think it would greatly help in sound creation.

2. Of coarse properly modeled organ sounds with "9" drawbars. I personally like the hammond L100 series that Dave Greenfield used in the Stranglers. No major manufacture has modeled the L100 series yet. Would look good on Casio.

3. Hex layers for all 4 zones

4. More effects per zone, & external audio input that can be put through effects.

5. 2 extra 1/4" auxiliary outputs

6. Expression pedal input.

7. User downloadable wave table memory.

8. Bigger editing screen for my aging old eyes.

9. Larger buttons with bigger font lettering.

10. In addition to the 88 key model, how about 76 & 61 semi-weighted with water-fall keys.

• Like 1