Expression Pedal

Edward

After watching Mike Martin's very informative PX-560 video, I started to shop for an expression pedal.  The three listed in the PX-560 manual on page EN-10 (Roland EV-5, Kurzweil CC-1, and Fatar) have really mixed reviews online.  It seems the Yamaha FC7 and the Moog ACCEP003 EP3 are the most favorably rated.  I also see some pedals are high impedance while others are low impedance.  I can't find where the PX-560 manual addresses this requirement.

In your experience, what pedal(s) works best with a digital keyboard.....specifically, the PX-560.

Thanks for helping me sort this out.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I go out and purchase the Roland EV-5 pedal.  Carefully follow the directions in the manual on how to select it to be the expression pedal and then going to the controller and following the directions on calibrating the pedal.  I put GrPianoConcert on Upper 1 and StreoString1 on Upper 2.  Then I hit and hold a key, move the pedal up and down and get no change at all to the strings.  I notice there is a knob on the pedal calibrated 0 to 10.  Perhaps I had that set incorrectly.  I move the knob from zero to 5.  Still no change.  I move it to 10.  No change.  So then I start all over and reselect the pedal as expression, set the knob on the pedal at 5, recalibrate the pedal following the manual instructions.  Still no change when playing a note and moving the pedal.  Help!!!  What am I missing here?  Thank you for your help.

Did you use the correct jack and also assign the jack for use with an expression pedal?

See the manual page 10. Use the  Pedal Edit on the Controller screen and set it correctly.

The small potentiometer on the EV-5 is used to set the minimum value of the expression.

• Like 1

Yes....I did all of those things....I believe.  Thank you for the information on the potentionmeter.  I figured it was something like that.

Am I correct that the expression pedal is suppose to adjust the sound of the Upper 2 instrument?  If not, then what does it control?

I've not use an expression pedal before and I believe I watched Mike adjust the sound level in his video.  Unfortunately, I find the manual to be very sparse in guidance.  Is there a resource that will explain all the nuances of the various sound adjustments available on modern day keyboards?

Thanks for your help. 

Can the continuous sp33 pedal be set as an expression modulator? That would do a lot to mitigate not having aftertouch. 

Ps. Sorry that my first post is a question, instead of an introduction. Just briefly: i am ditching my heavy playing acoustic upright to be replaced by a hollowed out, painted upright, filled with at least a mainstage Mac, novation x station and a piano. Before I found the px560 I was thinking SL88 grand, but now I am leaning strongly towards the privia. One major advantage is that I could rig the piano lid to power up stuff, so it would still function much as a piano for my kids. They would surely love the privia touchscreen and I could let them play with it without worrying about my computer.

pps. Yes, i would buy the sp33 to build it into the gutted acoustic upright. Then maybe later add other foot controls for looping.

I do have the pedals for my PX-560 that came bundled with my cabinet.  I mostly use the sustain pedal, but have not tried to re-configure it for expression pedal; like Wah as one example.  I'll work on that this weekend, if I can get around, through, or over my honey-do list. LOL

BTW, how would the pedal mitigate aftertouch?  Also, what would having aftertouch do to improve the PX-560?  Then, how are these pedals continuous?  Finally, the 560 action is fairly heavy, more so than some acoustics that I've played.

image.jpeg

I don't know if this could be of use to anyone but the attached is what I did to get the half pedal that I needed. I centered the SP-33 on my stand and cut off the excess at each end.  Holes were drilled and tapped in the bottom legs of the stand. I used thread stock, washers and thumb screws to secure the pedal assembly to the stand.  When disassembled, the pedal fits in my gig bag.  Set up is fast and works good.  I would much rather have just a single pedal, but as far as I know, the SP-33 is the only option. 

Piano002.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, this is Simone from Italy, I bought these pedals for my PX-560M and they work fine

M-Audio SP-2 Sustain Pedal

http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/sp-2#.VwVIzKSLTdc

M-Audio’s EX-P expression controller pedal

http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/ex-p#.VwVIy6SLTdc

I bought them on Amazon, they are well made, the materials are good, they are not slippery, the price is cheap

I hope it helps

• Like 1

I am using the ProLine expression pedal. Very light and cheap. Guitar center. Tried the M Audio and it was not smooth. I own the Yamaha for a Yamaha keyboard. It did not work well w my 560. If you watched Mike On  you Tube he had trouble getting the pedal to not be jerky. I have had the same problem w all of them. Also when calibrating the pedal in system settings even though I may sound like a 

n idiot I am not certain which position they call highest and lowest. Physically the highest position is w the pedal at its lowest activation or w the heel down to the floor and the toe raised to its highest position. Then the expression is off. If I depress it all the way then it is flat and I might call that the lowest position but it is maximally activated there. 

Also you can assign it to expression and it works well. Or you can assign it to volume for upper 2 instead and it also works without disabling it from upper 1 and both lowers. 

I like this this pedal though. Anything further. To have a smooth pedal going all the time is pretty cool. 

I assign chorus or even another level to the modulation wheel as well adding another option although it requires a hand. 

Wondering if Edward worked it out w the pedal?

Sailedaway:

If you just put the pedals on the floor, the entire pedal assembly will tip and flop around when a pedal is pushed. The assembly is designed to be secured on each end.  If not secured, the pedals are not usable.  Hope that answers your question.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes , midi cc 11 expression can be transmitted to connected midi equipement, ie computer vsts, sound module etc

It work with M Audio pedal I found from old kit in my garage , very lucky ,

In the case the px560 midi implementation chart is misleading us, because it says NO for cc11 transmit,  but there is a footnote at bottom

of page saying all cc numbers can be set in the controllers?

• 1 month later...

Received an MGEAR EX-P pedal. Felt that 14 pounds wouldnt break the bank. Wasnt expecting much , however  Im really blown away with the response Im getting from this little guy . 

Been playing around with various param settings on expression and it ticks all the boxes. No problems whatsoever. 

Cant see what I would get paying 4x more for a pedal. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

MY Korg EXP2 pedal will not work very well on the px560. control is jerky and a small movement of the pedal makes sound go from low to full.

The firmware is the latest (1.14) 

Has anyone had similar problems using this pedal model.

thanks

Tombo

• 1 year later...

Well I tried my Zoom FP02M and that's definitely no good with the PX-560M. Probably because it's logarithmic and its impedance is much higher than the manual recommended models. The volume cuts in very abruptly when increasing the pedal just past the first few millimeters, and the rest of the range makes almost no difference.

I will give my M-Audio EX-P a try and see if that works well. Supposedly it's linear and near the right impedance range. It works well on my Alesis keyboard controller and is quite affordable.