Video Files on Forum ×

WK6600 - Sustain Issues with Sequencer

ma3afan

I have the WK 6600 and I have just attempted to use the sequencer option for the first time.

I use the universal M-audio SP-2 Sustain pedal. Problem is: If i record a track, and then go to record further superimposed tracks, it seems as though ALL the tracks respond to the sustain pedal (as opposed to only the current respective track that I'm working on).

Does anyone have a solution to this? Obviously, one intends only to sustain when wanted, and not have every note sustained on all 16 tacks recorded.

Thanks for your help everyone.

The sustain pedals on my CTK-7000 and WK-7500 act exactly as expected during recording.  Sustain is recorded only to the current track, with no bleed-over to or from previoulsy recorded tracks.  This applies to both the Easy Record and Track-at-a-Time methods.  I can not believe that there would any difference between the 6XXX models and the 7XXX models in this respect, but to be certain, I will set up the CTK-6000 here in the studio later this evening and check it.

By any chance, do you have your WK-6600 USB connected to PC based DAW software that might be echoing unexpected sustain signals back to the keyboard ?

As expected, the sustain pedal on my CTK-6000 behaves the same as on the CTK/WK-7XXX models.  The CTK-6000 is the 61 key equivalent to the WK-6500, which is the immediate predecessor to your WK-6600.  For all practical purposes, those models are identical except for some minor feature improvements in the newer models.

I am using an inexpensive Casio pedal that came with my WK-3800 about 10 years ago.

When you connect your pedal, is everything sustained until you step on the pedal ?  You should only get sustain when the pedal is pressed.  If that is not the case, then you have the wrong pedal, or if it has a "polarity" switch, the switch needs to be set to the opposite polarity.  Casio's require switch polarities opposite to those of most other manufacturers.

If pedal polarity is not the problem, then I would recommend backing up any user data you may have on the keyboard (User Tones, User Rhythms, Registrations, etc.) and performing the Initialize ALL function described on Page E-100 of the manual to see if that resolves the problem.  To be absolutely certain, on the CTK-6000, I assigned the Stereo Grand Piano Tone to both Sequencer Tracks 1 and 2.  I then recorded a sustained left hand part to Track-1 and a non-sustained right hand part to Track-2.  When I played the recording back, the notes on Track-1 were sustained, while those on Track-2 were not - just as they should be.  So, I think we can safely say that your WK-6600 should definitely not be behaving the way it is.

As expected, the sustain pedal on my CTK-6000 behaves the same as on the CTK/WK-7XXX models.  The CTK-6000 is the 61 key equivalent to the WK-6500, which is the immediate predecessor to your WK-6600.  For all practical purposes, those models are identical except for some minor feature improvements in the newer models.

I am using an inexpensive Casio pedal that came with my WK-3800 about 10 years ago.

When you connect your pedal, is everything sustained until you step on the pedal ?  You should only get sustain when the pedal is pressed.  If that is not the case, then you have the wrong pedal, or if it has a "polarity" switch, the switch needs to be set to the opposite polarity.  Casio's require switch polarities opposite to those of most other manufacturers.

If pedal polarity is not the problem, then I would recommend backing up any user data you may have on the keyboard (User Tones, User Rhythms, Registrations, etc.) and performing the Initialize ALL function described on Page E-100 of the manual to see if that resolves the problem.  To be absolutely certain, on the CTK-6000, I assigned the Stereo Grand Piano Tone to both Sequencer Tracks 1 and 2.  I then recorded a sustained left hand part to Track-1 and a non-sustained right hand part to Track-2.  When I played the recording back, the notes on Track-1 were sustained, while those on Track-2 were not - just as they should be.  So, I think we can safely say that your WK-6600 should definitely not be behaving the way it is.

Thank you for looking into this, appreciate it.

I don't think polarity is the issue. I have the polarity switched to the right settings and everything works fine outside the sequencer. In fact, even when recording individual tracks there doesn't seem to be an issue. But say for instance, I record a non-sustained track on Track 1 and then a superimposed sustained track on Track 2 - as I press on the sustain pedal to record track 2 - track 1 becomes sustained as well and does not maintain its original form.

If I play multiple tracks that I recorded, ALL the tracks will respond to the sustain pedal - despite not recording, just directly on playback.

Very weird and unfortunately very frustrating when attempting to compose something.

Any insight on this?

What tracks are you recording to ? (Be sure to include the A or B prefixes)

What order are you recording them in ?

Are you recording Auto-accompaniment ?

Are you using the instructions for "Starting One-touch Recording (EASY REC)" on Page E-68 of the manual,

or the instructions for "Recording Individual Tracks" on Page E-72, or both ?

On all three of my CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX keyboards, pressing the sustain pedal during Song Sequencer playback affects only the currently selected track - no others.  If you are getting all tracks sustained when pressing the pedal during playback, that is not correct.  I would still recommend a factory reset (INITIALIZE ALL).

CTK-6000, CTK-7000
WK-225, WK-1200, WK-3800, WK-7500