PX-560 Q's!!!

jojo

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum but have recently been enjoying the discussions that come up! I've become interested in the PX-560 recently and it's really grabbed my attention! Up until now, I've mostly worked in an old stool kinda way, tracking things live audio only through cubase etc with a number of synths, my korg SV1, guitars etc.I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to midi / sequencing / production and such things (more of a live / session background). I'm in the process of downsizing my keyboard gear to 1 keyboard for composing etc and adopting more of this midi production stuff! Hoping to create full demos on the px560 (piano, bass, drums, string etc) and add the rest (guitars, vocals) with DAW.

Sorry in advance for dumb questions - here we go!

1) Does the px560 allow you to create your own user rhythms from scratch which can then be looped, mapped to different drum kits etc?

2) when you create a midi song with up to 17 tracks, can they 17 midi tracks be individually exported as separate tracks to a DAW later for further editing / mixing etc and perhaps exported back again to the px560?

3) Can the midi sequencer trigger external sound module sounds, at same time as it's own internal sounds?

4) Is there any way to allow monophonic mode particularly for lead sounds?

5) When using with an iPad via Midi, is it possible to transmit the px560 sounds to an iPad DAW (cubase) or can only midi sounds within the iPad be triggered?  

Thanks in advance! 

• Like 1

One other question after watching I watched the webinar by Mike. Awesome stuff by the way! Really impressed by this board!

In the case of the Clavinet patch with wah and diet etc he made; having the amp models / distortion etc mapped to the nobs is really cool except you lose accessible EQ controls and obviously there are no sliders. Is it possible to have perhaps an iPad connected with some kind of app with EQ controls for on the fly? Very handy for live use! If it does I'm ordering one right now!!!

I'm aware that the PX-5s has more controller functions but I am really attracted to the px-560 with internal speakers, songwriting tools and touchscreen.

Once again, sorry if they're obvious questions - I'm a reformed technophobe trying to wrap my head around the px-560 possibilities!

• 1 year later...

1) Not from scratch but you can edit the instruments in the preset rhythms, take out parts, etc.

2) I don't believe individual tracks can be exported directly. You can save as SMF, of course (type 0 or 1) and you could I believe disable tracks before you save but there would be little point versus using type 1. And AFAIK the 560 won't import individual tracks back into the sequencer. You can import an SMF file but it becomes a new sequence. I don't see a way to copy tracks from one sequence to another but maybe I just missed it. The 560's MIDI recorder is really a scratchpad sequencer. It doesn't even have overdub.

3) No.

4) No.

5) Not sure exactly what you are asking but the USB can't send or receive digital audio and there is no way to get any component of the sounds out of the machine. There's no real DAW integration. AFAIK there isn't even an INS file for the 560.

As for the follow up question I'm not aware of any iPad apps specifically for the 560 but you could theoretically whip something up in, say, MIDI Designer. Since Casio hasn't released a MIDI implementation document yet for the 560 there would be a bit of guessing based on what has _not_ changed between the PX-5S and MZ-X500 MIDI implementation documents (there are many similarities between the two).

In theory you can create your own rhythms patterns using the drum kits, save them to a MIDI track and then loop the track. According to manual and the specifications of the 560M this seems to be possible. But in practice you will be unable to do this properly. As discussed in several other threads in this forum, the 560M has a lot of features that at first sound very promising, but many of those end up either being poorly implemented or at least not being implemented as expected. I still have some hope that CASIO wants to retain its customers and releases firmware updates that address some of the issues of what could be a very good keyboard. The codebase for many of those updates is already available in other CASIO keyboard models, such as the MZ-X500. 

Anyway, and regarding your specific question: the track/MIDI player has a loop function. But the loop function introduces a short "pause" between the end of the track and before looping the track back from the beginning. And to make matters worse, the length of this pause is inconsistent, so you cannot even work around it. As a result, you will be unable to create seamless loops/repeating patterns using the MIDI player. A somewhat similar bug exists in the metronome as it produces an inconsistent pause between beats every once in a while if you leave it running long enough. I have reported these issues (and others) to CASIO months ago. 

The second issue is that the 560 has no such thing as MIDI sequencer/editor but just a basic MIDI recorder. So, features such as copying and pasting are not available. So, the only option you have left on the 560 is to record the complete drum track using the MIDI recorder. The realistic option is to use a proper MIDI editor on a computer to create the drum track (remember that the loop function does not work properly so you would need the full drum track).

• Like 1