Video Files on Forum ×

Virtual Controllers and Knobs 1-4

BrettM

I've just stumbled on a nice interaction between the knobs and virtual controllers on my G1. If the solo synth engines in each model are genuinely the same, this probably applies to the P1 as well.

I've long known that whatever destination is set for one of the first four virtual controllers is also affected by its correspondingly numbered knob. The effect of the knob occurs irrespective of the source, even when it is off, or if its depth is zero.

What I didn't know is that the knob can be used to alter the depth of the source in real time. So if you have the source set to modulation, say, i.e., the mod wheel, then the knob will determine the depth of the mod wheel. You can even turn the mod wheel off simply by using the knob. Depending on the destination, the off/zero position will either be fully anti-clockwise or at 12 o'clock. This even allows you to have multiple destinations set up for the mod wheel and choose between them on the fly by simply adjusting their corresponding knobs.

Presumably the knobs work the same way for other virtual controller sources as well.

Virtual controllers 5-8 don't have corresponding knobs so are free from this interaction.