PX-560 Organ Leslie/Rotary effect assign to Modulation wheel???

RGeigerUSA

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can not find how to assign the Rotary effect

for Organ playing to the Modulation wheel.  Going from Off to On, etc.

For that matter, I can't find any of the "Editable DSP Parameters" on pages 34-35 of the manual

like the "Drive Rotary,"  etc....

I'm getting concerned... anybody know how to do this?

Either the Modulation wheel, or maybe a footswitch... but I'd prefer the Mod wheel so I can use 

an expression pedal with the organ.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1) Choose a tone that has rotary DSP effect assigned to it. I would put it in Upper 1.  

2) Go to controller screen and choose the mod wheel for editing.  

3) Make sure the mod wheel is enabled only for the zone your tone is assigned to...Upper 1.

4) Edit the target of the mod wheel.  You'll see the dsp parameters on the list.  Speed slow fast will be the one you want.   

5) Store the setup as a new registration. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Here are the relevant screens from the PX-560. I had the first drawbar organ tone selected. Note that the Speed parameter acts like a toggle switch, so the mod wheel will give you the slow rate below the 50% position and the fast rate at and above that. Note also that the rotor speed changes from slow to fast at the rate determined by Rise Accel and from fast to slow by the rate determined by Fall Accel. If you want to change any of those rates edit the TONE itself.

screen2.jpg

screen1.jpg

Great! Got it thanks. I assigned modulation wheel to speed for the upper 1 and upper 2 patches. I had to 2 different organ patches assigned to upper 1 and 2. I hear the effect kick in. However, it seems the rotary effect is only working on upper 1 organ patch. I must have forgot some setting. Its a little tricky but I'm still working it. Thanks for your great visual aids. 

There is only one DSP block usable for the first five "parts" of the PX-560: Upper 1, Upper 2, Lower 1, Lower 2 and Auto Harmonize. (There is another DSP block for the accompaniment parts, 9 to 16, and the MIDI sequencer channels.) For the first DSP block Upper 1 takes priority. In other words, if you have a DSP effect turned on for the tone in Upper 1 you will not hear DSP effects that are in the tones in parts Upper 2, Lower 1, Lower 2 and Auto Harmonize (although how you would assign a DSP effect to Auto Harmonize in the first place and why it is a separate part are mysteries to me).

BTW, on the XW-P1 it is easy to send multiple tones through a single DSP effect, although this flexibility does cause a few problems. I see no way to do this on the PX-560.  

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Henry Thaler said:

Hi, how can this Rotary/Mod wheel function be assigned to the expression pedal? Since I play bass with the left hand, I can't really use the mod wheel.

Thanks, Henry Thaler

It's exactly the same as the mod wheel setup.  Go to the controller menu and choose to edit pedal 2 expression instead of the modulation wheel.  Remember that pedal 2 function has to be set to expression first.  

FWIW, I've seen in a video that another possible approach is to assign a constant rotary effect to the tone by editing it, next assign the mod wheel (or the expression pedal) to DSP bypass, and then assign the minimum to 127 and maximum to 0. This way, it controls the amount of rotary effect.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, playon said:

I have to say as new user of this keyboard, it's ridiculous that the rotary effect was not programmed to the mod wheel with the Hammond organ presets in the first place. It is more than obvious that most people would want this.

Modulation wheel function (knobs and pedals as well) is not determined by the tone in use.  It is determined by the registration (performance setup) in use.  As long as the same registration is in use, the controls will not change.  96 registrations are available to store your favorite configurations.  An organ registration with the modulation wheel setup to control rotary DSP would be a great template for use with rotary DSP organ tones.  

• 3 months later...

Hello Everyone,

I am a brand new Casio user, since I have bought a nice PX560 about two weeks ago.

As RGeigerUSA I also came across to assign the Mod Wheel to the Rotary effect, and I succeed an works fairy well (Organ Sounds on this keyboard not not really war horses IMHO) I saved the tone in an empty registration and I thought everything was fine. Unfortunately for some reasons every time the keyboard is power cycled, this setting gets lost, this means I have to set up the Mod Wheel every time I wan to use it for the rotary effect.

I wonder if anyone have had this kind of issue and if there is a solution for it.

By the way, I am very glad to see there is this kind of forum about the PX560.

Enjoy playing music

Giuseppe

• 3 months later...

I would really appreciate an actual step by step video from one of you more advanced players who can lead me through the process of how to take a basic Hammond(ish) or jazz organ tone on the PX560 and develop a much more realistic Leslie speaker effect to the modulation wheel...in real time. I get real close to how it’s done by reading some of these threads and I hit an invisible wall that I’m sure is my initial lack of understanding the process descriptions. If you know of such a video link, please post it! 

the factory mod wheel organ settings fall flat while the onboard organ tones are fantastic out of the box. 

spearsart56