Video Files on Forum ×

Home speaker system.

chelsea4023

Hi,

This probably won't interest the pro players among you, but maybe some home players who want a permanent setup.

I have a Tyros 5 which came with it's own sub/sat system for home use and could be used for playing out in small venues, etc. As good as it is, it does not 'cut the mustard' so as to speak. My wish was to have an improved sound system that I could use with both my Tyros setup and also my Casio PX5-S.

I'm quite interested in AV and have a home surround sound system connected to the TV. I knew that most AV amps/receivers come with a small microphone that you place in different listening positions in the room and the AV amp automatically EQ's itself (with the use of the mic) to give the user optimum sound quality. I decided to create a system like this for use with my keyboards.

I purchased a used pair of Q.Acoustics 2020i speakers with stands for £120, a  used Denon AVR 2310 for £70 and a used Wharfedale SW150 subwoofer for £65. total outlay £255. I read up on these items before searching the used ads in AV Forums, Gumtree and Ebay. All the items received 5 star ratings in what hi-fi and other AV magazine reviews. Once they were all wired up and connected to the PX5-S I let the Denon do the auto EQ.

I then set about auditioning the setup. Over a period of time I can only say that it sounds amazing. when you press notes down in the lower piano octaves you feel the bass, and the clarity of sound is impressive. The one thing that really stands out for me is the power on tap. You feel that your ears would give way before the system does. It might not be for everybody, but if you have some old audio speakers sitting around, then try and get them matched up to an amp (A.V. or hi-fi ) and give it a try. I think you may be pleasantly surprised. My system sounds equally as good with the Tyros 5 (which I play organ style with lower keyboard, a Numa 2 organ and Roland PK5 bass pedals).  

I have had some great advice from other members regarding my PX5-S (thanks especially to Aron) that I hope my speaker setup might prompt one or two forum members to have a go themselves.

Chris

js1024_DSC02882.jpg

js1024_DSC02883.jpg