external looping / general sampling

jessej

Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing one of these keyboards (xw-g1).  Based on what I read it will do what I want, but I want to be thorough.

The main issue I'm wondering about has to do with the external input looping.  So, can I plug a guitar or microphone up to the input and loop a "sample" from this source, like a looping pedal?  Also, can I record samples/loops both from the external and on the keyboard itself without the pattern sequencer stopping?

Thanks

The sample is stored in the user wave tone area.  Select the tone from there then edit to your needs.  The best way to make samples into instrument tones is to use a computer to record your guitar in DAW software.  Something free like Audacity works great for samples.  Export the audio clips and use the G1 data editor to convert into wave tones and edit.  

Wow, I understand the logic !  

I'm going to try  

You know... with the XW-G1 I have the impression that all you want... become possible ! 

It is for that reason I bought a XW-G1 ! 

The french expression is : XW-G1, c'est une usine à gaz... it means... XW-G1 can do a lot... but you have to learn how !

Thanks for all  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BradMZ said:

It's quite good at multi sampled tones

I guess this is a matter of opinion Brad. Certainly I would agree it can - in it's own limited way - work with multi samples. I certainly haven't given up on it for this purpose entirely.

But compared to gear that is 'actually' quite good with multi sampled tones, I could not in good faith say the G1 was also "quite good". And I am comparing with older hardware and software. I'd be a little surprised if modern gear wasn't generally even better.

It is a bit of a shame though, as it is only a few (fairly fundamental) features short of being as much as I need for sampling.

The principal is to arrive even if the way is long ! 

Every minutes I discover the XW-G1, every minutes I realize that Casio made a wonderful synth. 

I bought my XW-G1 in second hand with a man who thought he known all the possibilities of the XW-G1. 
In my island, the XW-G1 has never been sold. 
In France, it is discontinued. 

Before buyingit, I asked the seller about Midi options and Step Sequencer, Arpeggiator modifications... He phoned the store where he bought the synth and they answered that transporting the Step Sequencer in midi mode was impossible. Also, it was impossible to create your own arpeggiator sequence.  
When I received it, I phoned the seller to inform him about the good reception and said that in fact, the store was wrong. 
He answered me : I don't be aware about these possibilities. I regret to have sold it !  

• Like 1

I have since purchased the XW and I am still getting used to it.  I am still unclear as to weather there is a way to easily recall the user input samples.  It would be nice if there was a way to record a separate user input loop, while the other one is playing, keeping the whole performance continuous; that is creating layers of loops during a performance without breaks in the sound.  Much like a multi channel loop pedal.  Is there something I am overlooking, or a workaround for this that anyone knows of?

Regardless, the unit is very nice and will work for my other needs.

• Like 1