2 Quick PX-560 Questions

vin52ny

Hi,

I am new to the forum and presently play a Yamaha PSR-S970, I had a Privia PX-330 and loved it. I am presently considering purchasing a PX-560 or possibly a PX-5S. But, I do have a few questions. I think I already know the answers to both questions will be no, but I'll ask anyway. My issue is I always try to keep my active keyboard ownership to just one keyboard at a time, I like the PSR, but I miss having 88 weighted keys. And I love the sound of the PX-5S and the 560. I could possibly keep the 970 and buy a PX-5S, but if I can work around these two things, I could sell the 970 and buy a 560. So here we go.

1. Is it possible to plug a microphone directly into the inputs of the 560, and if not, will it work if I feed the microphone into a mixer first and then to the 560?

2. Is it possible to trigger the Fill-In (While using the Arranger portion) with a foot pedal or foot switch?

Thanks in Advance.

Vin

Thanks for the response Brad. I thought that was going to be my answer, because when I had my PX330, I had the same issues with the inputs and being able to trigger the Fill-In with a foot pedal. I think what I am going to do is sell my Yamaha MX-49 add a few dollars and get the PX-5S and keep my PSR-S970 for now. This way I'll have the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vin52ny said:

Thanks for the response Brad. I thought that was going to be my answer, because when I had my PX330, I had the same issues with the inputs and being able to trigger the Fill-In with a foot pedal. I think what I am going to do is sell my Yamaha MX-49 add a few dollars and get the PX-5S and keep my PSR-S970 for now. This way I'll have the best of both worlds.

I've recently purchased a PX-560, and really love it.  It has a great piano sound, 88-keys which are fantastically weighted, good tactical feeling, and less than 30 pounds in a slab size that's not too deep.  It's a stage piano first and foremost in my opinion. 

Like you, I have owned a PSR arranger; a Yamaha PSR-3000, which I bought in 2004.   I hoped and really expected to replace the old arranger with an all-in-one board when I purchased the 560.  However, in less than an hour, I realized that getting rid of my 12-year old PSR-3000 was not an option.  

Unbelievable to me, is that the Yammy has much better styles (Casio rhythms counterpart) than my brand new 560.  So much better, in fact, that my PSR-3000 will earn its keep as a 2nd tier board, complimenting the px-560 on the lower tier.  It will play the backup band or organ while my 560 takes on piano leads.  I'm into pianos and learning the whole keyboard, and the 560 really shines in that arena. 

Now I have two very unique and fantastic boards, and won't get rid of either for right now.  When I do, I'll be on the look out to replace the 3000. 

Hey Trent,

.                  You're probably right, I may do the same. I have no intention of getting rid of my PSR-970, I once had the Tyros 3 on top and the Privia PX-330 on the bottom. Connected the 330 to the Tyros 3 via midi and then was able to use the keys of the 330 to play the Tyros. I think I may do the same with the 970 and the 560. Here is what that setup looked like.

Vin

image.thumb.jpeg.3651a86eedbc84a79c999c7

Sounds like a great plan in progress. I think our backgrounds, disciplines, musical environments, and our age condition us to working things out to fit our own personal likes, which may not coincide with other musicians.  That's a good thing, because variety, discovery, ingenuity, and a host of other benefits can spring out.  

While I didn't want to "tinker" with my 560 when I looked into buying it, I'm teetering on the brink of modifying some accompaniment rhythms, and take my own advice of "working things out to fit our own personal likes."  There are a few demo songs default in the 560, and they are pretty convincing. I'd like to find out more about them, how they are put together; which rhythms, tones, and other settings it would take to duplicate them in "copycat" mindset.  Then use them in combinations for songs in my repertoire; Beatles, rock and blues in first priority, with some country, pop, and show business tunes included. 

Also, I've started to write down a list of default rhythms which can be played as accompaniment to a cover song or two.  Hopefully, my list will grow into a set of songs or more -- although my gigging days are over,   

Vin, may you, play well, play long, and prosper!!!

Edited by Trent
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey guys I need help!

how do I turn off the onboard speakers. I don't like them. I LOVE my PX560 but I think the onboard speakers sound a bit cheesy....the only feature of this monster keyboard I dislike. They are ok for practice, but I want to hear what the sounds will be like when thru a powerful pa. I use midifiles some of the time, and I've been able to convert then over from my Tyros, it's just those speakers!

does that headphone jack trick really work (I don't want to cause any damage)? Do I actually use headphones lying on the floor, or will just plugging a jack into it work?

or is there a way I can turn them off manually?

wont plugging phones in mute the output to the mixer too?

im sorry if I'm not making sense...my brain is frazzled.

great forum, I'm so glad you're all here (us musos seriously need to stick together these days!)

thanks in advance 

lyn