Video Files on Forum ×

780 vs 850 information

tdahnert

I've been having a hard time finding a good comparison between the privia 780 and 850. I've learned that there are some simulators that aren't included in the 780

String Resonance Yes (Selective) Lid Simulator Yes (Selective) Key Off Simulator

and there are more instruments in the 780 than the 850. Are the amplifier and speakers the same? How about the build quality of the cabinet? Is the 850 more substantial? I need to make a purchase within the next two weeks for a birthday present, and sales associates don't really know enough about the 780 yet and I haven't found a direct comparison online. I'm trying to determine why you would choose one over the other and what type of niche each product fills. Thanks!

The 780 is more a 350 with a nice cabinet, than to compare it to the 850. The 780 has the keyboard cover like the 850, but not the "opening top" to expose the speakers like the 850. The 780 is more of a "living room" piano than the 350 is. I was going to get the 780, but went with the 350 when I found out the "thumb drive" USB port is under the keyboard, and not on top like the 350. I've made a wall rack to hold my 350, plus lots of other goodies. Will see if I can post a photo here.

The amplifier is upgraded from 8w in the 350 to 20w in the 780 though. I've heard the difference between the 850 (with 20w amp) and 350 and it's significant. I'm assuming that is mostly the speakers/amp rather than any processing and want to know if the 780 has these same "guts" and therefore a similar sound (less the simulators that only the 850 has). It looks like the back of the 850 is solid while the 780 has an opening. Wondering if anyone has seen the 780 that can comment on whether it's cabinet has a more solid construction, or if it's identical to the cabinet you can add to portable units like the 350. Really would like opinions of those who have seen/tried one. Not saying you haven't pianicaman350. Thanks all!

Here's a link to a photo of a 780 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/productDetail/productDetail.jsp?entSkuId=H93995000000000&src=3WWRWXGP&kpid=mfH93995&gclid=COnJwfrx_7UCFag7MgodOyoAFw

Here's a link to a photo of an 850 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/casio-privia-px-850-88-weighted-key-digital-piano

The 850 has the opening top, and no screen on the front. I don't believe either has the same level of cabinetry that an AP-620 has. Here's a link to it's photo. It is more like the 350/780 than an 850. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/casio-ap-620-celviano-digital-piano-with-matching-bench

It all depends on what you want to have in your living room. I wasn't that impressed with the CS-67 case that is used with the PX-350, so I went with my wall rack. I will be adding some high end studio monitors I have to make up for any quality issues with the 350. With them I should be able to blow the wallpaper off the wall on the other side of the room. ;)

You might also wish to consider some good quality powered speakers In case you ever wish to play live. For example QSC K8 or K10 (I prefer the 10) or Yamaha DXR series. Or sticking with monitors the KRK Rockit series.