Video Files on Forum ×

My first not so good impression

Hi,

I'm a new user of the xw-p1.

I've been playing around with it and at first I thought: yeah this is nice for the price. You can tweak the PCM tones to something more or less to a satisfying level. Hexlayer is ok, might be good once I really get the hang of it. Didn't have high hopes on tweaking easily the mono-synth, and it seems I shouldn't have. But again I only have it since 3 days

But the input's are really, really to low. I was planning on hooking up my tempest main outputs. And once I open up the volume to not even half the way, it sounds heavily distorted.

The dspline is 1 channel for the whole performance, I kind of hoped to put a compression on the external input and use an other dsp on the hexlayer or pcm tone. Sadly I was mistaken.

I won't return the unit becuz there are some nice feature I'd like to keep, although using the external input was a major selling point for me to buy this. And that seems useless now.

Mike, I read somewhere on a thread you wrote something like;

you have an organ for 499$ or

this or that for 499$

And customers shouldn't be disapointed or complain (sorry if I'm wrong this is not a quote but something I read)

I think that is not fair.

Up to now all I can say is: I guess I got some value for what I paid. Shame on me to have High hopes on some features.

But He, I only paid 499$, right?

I really hope the external input issue is some kind of me using it badly, that would really make me happy.

• Like 1

I do know that if you turn the external osc on that it still seems to have some parameters at settings that may be affecting the external sound. But i will admit that even after tweaking these the external sound input seems a little distorted also. maybe we need to figure out what elements in the ext input osc may be affecting sound or if there are global effects/parameters that need to be tweaked. I haven't had a chance to look into this in depth but will soon. I do know that pitch changes to the external source by playing keys creates more alteration.

I never said anything like that. The distortion or low level is highly unusual. Which input are you using?

First of all I'm sorry for misinterpreting these words:

We'll certainly have more sounds coming for the XW series. As far has a firmware update that will address some of those requests above, as was suggested by others we're dealing with the limitations of the hardware. Here is my view on the XW series. Take any ONE thing it does and it is more than worth its price.

• If you only used it only as a six oscillator solo synth - worth $499 or more
  • 4 zone MIDI controller with easy iPad connectivity and placement - worth $499 or more
  • Powerful Hex Layer sounds for acoustic and textured synth sounds - worth $499 or more
  • A one of a kind Step Sequencer - worth FAR more than $499

Maybe I'm dating myself but keyboards never used to have firmware updates. ;)

We've done two updates for the XW series - CASIO has NEVER EVER done this before.

Sounds, more tutorials. I get that. We've got you covere

I know I was a bit harsh yesterday.

Concerning the external input: I'v tried both stereo input's( the mini-jack and the instrument-in line) both have the same problem.

I've hooked up my tempest and when I open up it's volume on a quarter level, it sounds good but very low, to low to hear the low-end. Once I pass this level it's starts to break up a little, starting at half the tempest level the sound is very distorted.

I've check if there was a dspline on and it's off, so are the reverb and the chorus in the mixer section.

Thanks for looking into this,

Theo