Video Files on Forum ×

Naming a Registration

Francis

I'm assigning tones and rhythms for various songs to the numbered registrations and find I'm having trouble remembering which registration goes to a given song.  Short of a handwritten list, does the software provide the means to name these registrations before (or after) they are stored? 

I read the referenced post.  Too bad.  Without belaboring the point, requiring an user to keep track of a computerized 90+ registration feature with paper and pencil should be a little embarrassing for Casio.  Let's hope a software update is possible...and a priority. 

• Like 2

Actually, this is a superb "stage piano," but it overlaps into the "arranger" type of keyboard, and that's where it loses its direction. If you own or play a PX-560, What do you think of the sound quality of the tones, and the realism of the accompaniment rhythms?  

When I first started using the tones and accompaniment I was truly amazed.  The ability to adjust and fine tune these features was beyond my expectations.  Also the look and finish is stunning.  I went from a PX 350 to the 560 and so many little inconveniences not even advertised were also addressed.  I'm hoping the developers can add an additional field to the registration feature and provide it as an update.  Sounds like Casio is aware so let's hope it happens.   Thank you.        

• Like 1

Francis, I've owned a Yamaha PSR-3000 for 12-years. After all those years, I decided it was time to move up and get a PSR-s970, which has vast improvements over my older PSR.; but that model is having problems with the buttons -- as you can read on the PSR website forum. So I put it on hold, and got my PX-560 because it has 88-weighted keys, and is billed as a stage piano not an arranger. Therefore, not burning bridges nor duplicating efforts by having two similar products.  

However, I was underwhelmed with the PX-560 tones and the accompaniment, as they aren't near as good as the voices and styles (aka Casio tones and rhythms) of my very old PSR.  So I'm not going to use them because they are not to the same standards and quality that I'm used to.  My 560 is relagated and designated to be my piano, not my tinkering keyboard.   That's really what it is anyway, a  fantastic piano.

However, I seldom use registrations in the Yammy, and mostly rely on the MusicFinder, scrollable window to find my songs.  A 560 software upgrade probably wouldn't would come near to that feature, nor have nameable registrations that have all the features of either a PSR registration or the MusicFinder.  

But my Yammy arranger only has 61-keys, and my PX-560 blows it away in that arena.  Registrations, I think, are a rarity in a stage piano, and are thrown in in the Casio flagship stage pianos as an extra feature.  I was looking at the Yamaha P-255 at first, but I do think my choice in getting the PX-560 was a better choice since in looking for a stage-piano keyboard.   I will get an arranger-keyboard later, when the button issues are settled with the PSR-970.  

Maybe be the px-160 would've sufficed.  Maybe my PX-560 has some under-the-hood moxie that can be coaxed out by modifying the default tones and rhythms. ...and maybe Casio will upgrade the firmware with the features we are describing. Lots of maybes.  

After a little thought, I think it possible that the registration issue may not be a negative thing.  What follows is a hypothetical conversation between me and Mr. Casio that adds a

different perspective:

Mr. Casio:  Hello Francis, what can I do for you.

Francis:  Well I'm disappointed that the many registrations I've made can not be referenced by the songs they apply to.

Mr. Casio:  I see.  I'm wondering, could the registration numbers simply be written on each piece of sheet music for these songs?

Francis:  I play by ear and although I read sheet music, I don't use it when I play.

Mr. Casio:  I see.  So about how many songs do you play?

Francis:  Around 40.

Mr. Casio:  And how do you remember the names of these 40 songs?

Francis:  I have a written list which is also on my smart phone and computer.

Mr. Casio:  So since you already have a list, couldn't Casio's registration information just be added?

Francis:  You're right it could.  I refer to that list whenever I play so it would be easy to do.

Mr. Casio:  I might add Francis, that it is not uncommon for a digital keyboard to get  "mixed up" to the extent that  a reset is required.  When this happens, all settings are lost.  For this reason I would suggest a printed back-up and zip drive of the data be maintained and available.

Francis:  Excellent point Mr. Casio, I'm going to do that.

Mr. Casio:  I do realize that Casio could make this a lot easier for our user by providing this information in a digital format.  I'm also thinking we could add a template to our user guide that would assist in physically logging in names and settings  of all items in the registration.  Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

• Like 1

Haha.  Good analysis of a really decent work around.  

In similar fashion, I use my iPad and several apps for keyboard playing. One of the apps is SongBook, which contains my chord-pro songs.  My use of fake books is pretty extensive also, since my memory is not good enough to rely on. Pencils though, are not an enigma-to-be obsoleted, IMO.  I'll pencil notes in my fake books and sheet music.  I also keep a moleskin-type notebook as a music diary.  

I'm almost saying that I don't need dang registrations, but I do use one in my Yammy, and that turns the vocal harmony off so I can sing solo, then another registration can turn vocal harmonies on when I need backup singers during a chorus.  I suppose I could get a TC Helicon or Digitech outboard harmony pedal for the Casio.  One of those would balance the mic impedance for the keyboard inputs too, if you don't have a mixer.  But I have a mixer too. 

3 hours ago, Trent said:
3 hours ago, Trent said:

Francis, I've owned a Yamaha PSR-3000 for 12-years. After all those years, I decided it was time to move up and get a PSR-s970, which has vast improvements over my older PSR.; but that model is having problems with the buttons -- as you can read on the PSR website forum. So I put it on hold, and got my PX-560 because it has 88-weighted keys, and is billed as a stage piano not an arranger. Therefore, not burning bridges nor duplicating efforts by having two similar products.  

However, I was underwhelmed with the PX-560 tones and the accompaniment, as they aren't near as good as the voices and styles (aka Casio tones and rhythms) of my very old PSR.  So I'm not going to use them because they are not to the same standards and quality that I'm used to.  My 560 is relagated and designated to be my piano, not my tinkering keyboard.   That's really what it is anyway, a  fantastic piano.

However, I seldom use registrations in the Yammy, and mostly rely on the MusicFinder, scrollable window to find my songs.  A 560 software upgrade probably wouldn't would come near to that feature, nor have nameable registrations that have all the features of either a PSR registration or the MusicFinder.  

But my Yammy arranger only has 61-keys, and my PX-560 blows it away in that arena.  Registrations, I think, are a rarity in a stage piano, and are thrown in in the Casio flagship stage pianos as an extra feature.  I was looking at the Yamaha P-255 at first, but I do think my choice in getting the PX-560 was a better choice since in looking for a stage-piano keyboard.   I will get an arranger-keyboard later, when the button issues are settled with the PSR-970.  

Maybe be the px-160 would've sufficed.  Maybe my PX-560 has some under-the-hood moxie that can be coaxed out by modifying the default tones and rhythms. ...and maybe Casio will upgrade the firmware with the features we are describing. Lots of maybes.  

I'm really a novice at all this.  I'm really just a piano player.  At home I have an acoustic upright, a baby grand and a Yamaha CP300.  I got into the 25lb Privias so I could practice when at our cabin.  The 560 has many more features than I will ever use.  I got it mainly because I liked the looks and it would accept the SP-33 pedal that I definitely used on the 350 for classical songs.  I liked the looks of the 5S too but not being compatible with the SP-33 was a show stopper.  Sounds like your making great use of what Yamaha and Casio have to offer.  Keyboard choices are hard and very subjective.  

Another novice here at arranging rhythms and voices and recording.  I play with a female vocalist and recently I've added rhythms and prerecorded bass lines, etc. and I find it very difficult to understand the whole process.

Trent, like you I'm underwhelmed by the voices.  The GP and the AB are fine, but I could use a good jazz guitar and some good EPs.  Did you ever hear the EP1 on a P-105?  I love it and can't find anything like it on the 560, or even the Roland RD800. 

Do you use your PSR for voices?  Do they play through the 560? 

...I've got sooo many questions.

Tom

Firstly, this is a new keyboard for me.  Since my last post, I've explored more features and sounds in the PX-560, and am building up more respect for how it sounds.  One day, I let the demo songs run for several complete iterations, and am thoroughly  convinced that there is potential for realistic sounding arrangements from this keyboard.  

Then, on another occasion, I ran through all the presets, and I'm impressed with the sounds. Listen to "Rising Sun," short for House of the Rising Sun.  While it's not an accompaniment, it could be saved to a registration and used as a base for an arrangement; live or recorded.  

Buyer's remorse is leaving me.  

------------

EDIT: correction to my last edit -- It is possible to save presets as a registration.  Only issue is that presets are like loops, and you can't change the chord progression while playing them in real time. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I see that some people are saying that the PX 560 doesn't sound as good as their old Keyboards, (all I know is that my old gear isn't in the same league !!) I don't know if this helps but I almost bought a Korg Havian 30 because when I compared them side by side on their own internal Speakers the Korg sounded much better BUT when I compared them on a high quality pair of Headphones the PX was far more 'alive' & when I put them both through my SR(Schertler) High end powered Speakers the PX 560 absolutely Mullered the Havian & I duly ordered one .Of course the Korg isn't helped by only having one poxy Headphone Socket out ! What were Korg thinking ? At a Stroke they killed possibly half of their potential Market, (Spoilt the Ship for a Ha'pennys worth of tar !!)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I sign here too! This would be so much helpful if there would be a scrollable window with all the saved and named registrations just like there is a window with sounds to choose from.

Casio, PLEASE update your PX560 software with such feature. I can't believe Casio recommends to write down our registrations names on the piece of paper while dealing with a high tech pro keyboard... C'mon Casio! Really?.. 

Thank you.