Forum improvement suggestions.

Mike Martin

We've gone through a major software change recently, we're always looking for suggestions on how to improve the forum experience. Please leave her suggestions here.   Please understand that the moderators are volunteering their time to make this a better community. Thank you for understanding.

• Like 4

Well, given the heartache I went through to find out the info, I may as well share what I established (Whilst I realise it isn't a request for an improvement, it could help avoid a request for functionality that already exists, but was not yet found) 

For anyone that has trouble with the "Recent Activity"  function, I have established that the "My Activity Streams" option appears to provide a flexible way to search and filter previous forum content.

I will leave it at that for now, however as I have 'played' with it, please let me know if you'd like any further info.

Thanks for this thread. I'm still learning the ins&outs of the update - I haven't really run into any issues but have noticed a few really cool things. One, is the animated profile picture (Thanks for the heads up Brad). Also: to post a photo, you just need to paste the image URL into the body of the message.

For those who are having trouble adjusting to the new layout, etc:  Change is never easy - Just give it some time and keep the constructive comments coming as you notice things. Soon it will seem like home. 

Thanks for all you do Mike and staying on top of things.

Keep on Casioing, peeps! :www.MessenTools.com-Frutas-pianodance:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Scott Hamlin said:

Also: to post a photo, you just need to paste the image URL into the body of the message.

... indeed. And you can also drag image files into the lower bar of the response box,

(I dont think you could do this before... but if I am mistaken please let me know and I will delete 'tip')

Bootstrap type styling is nice, but one flaw is that it tends to add more whitespace, leaving the text more spread out.

For forums especially, this can be a negative. For instance the front page that lists the forum categories and such could be much, much more condensed. No need to add to screen real estate just to list forum names that would fit into a much smaller area.

Otherwise, looking good!

Please add a "print" button for a simplified single page HTML view (no avatar pictures, no menus etc.) for easy printing or saving of a thread.

And urgently bring back the (non-WYSIWYG) plain text mode for the input field, because it responds way too slow and produces random button clicks on my historical PC. If possible, do it as CGI with javascript disabled.

16 minutes ago, AlenK said:

1. More contrast and color, less use of gray levels that are close to each other. 

2. Bring back the download counter for attachments. 

1.  No problem, we're still working on making the color scheme better.  Agreed about more contrast and color. 

2.  I haven't found that option yet, but I'll keep looking. I'm sure its there. 

I thought I would reiterate a point that Happyrat raised that I believe was in the deleted thread, given the possibility that he will not be raising it again himself.

There are several 'subforums' entitled General Discussion. Whilst it is clear which "area" each of these refers to when accessing the forums via the primary menu, it is not obvious at all when looking at the Activity filters ("All Activity" OR "My Activity"). In these cases all one sees is read / unread topics (dependant upon the filter) listed as "General Discussion". It would obviously be more efficient to be able to identify these within the list / filtered list so that one can establish which are of interest.

I acknowledge that by opening each read/unread article, one can establish its area of concern, or one could further filter the "My Activity Stream" to only include those areas of interest (although in the latter case, if you have more than one area of interest you will still not be specifically sure which "General Discussion" area is showing in your filtered list). Sometimes it is also evident because of the thread title, but this is more luck than design.

The easiest solution would be that proposed by Happyrat, which would be to make minor amendments to the "subforum" titles e.g. "CTK / WK / LK General Discussion", "XW General Discussion" etc.

I include an example of the issue to which I refer with a pertinent post, and the 'ambiguous in this context' subforum name highlighted in green.

Untitled.png

On 28/2/2016 at 7:02 AM, Mike Martin said:

We've gone through a major software change recently, we're always looking for suggestions on how to improve the forum experience. Please leave her suggestions here.   Please understand that the moderators are volunteering their time to make this a better community. Thank you for understanding.

Mike,

in this latest web site layout I do not manage to see the settings ordered by date. 

This function is very useful to me as I connect to this site monthly to check if new interesting settings are loaded.

Could you help?

Thanks and regards

Giovanni

22 hours ago, gioconti7 said:

in this latest web site layout I do not manage to see the settings ordered by date.

Giovanni. Do you mean the downloads section?

If so then it seems an interesting point, as I do not - so far - appear to be able to access and filter this section using "my activity streams".

However, assuming I 'am' referring to the same section, whilst the "main page" for downloads is not sortable, once you go into the more specific sections (e.g. Downloads > Community Created Files > Privia PX-5S > Acoustic Pianos and Piano Layers) , then the files can be sorted by date.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PianoManChuck said:

How about opening up a PX-560 download section for USERS to upload their unique PX-560 hex layers to?

So far there's only a PX-560 download section for Casio-generated files (sadly with only 1 file in it).

Having a USERS section or sticky on hints and tips for using the PX-560 would be beneficial also; upload area for user registrations, new songs and new styles too. We are a conglomerate of players, tinkerers, fiddlers, experimenters, and learners who may need or want either development progress ideas and data or be involved in a sharing environment.  

Just for point-of-interests about me, as a "new-member" intro:  My interests, are currently centered on learning the keyboard half as good Chuck, of whom I have stored a great number of his youtube songs so that I can practice them on my keyboard.  Others have been posting about all kinds of diverse issues pertaining to this keyboard.  Although I have listened to almost all the hex layer samples, I still go right back to the default grand concert piano tone(s).  The same with my arranger, I found myself gravitating to piano.  However, I don't mind experimenting, but only when I've finished my chops practice.   

I could ramble on about myself, but hearing input from other PX-560 users is important too, and a hex layers section is a good place to start.

Thanks for the update, Mike.  I was wondering if there might be a forthcoming hex tone that emulates the synth that Keith Emerson used in "Lucky Man".  With the recent passing of Keith, I (and I'm sure others) are looking for some ELP tones.  Not just "Lucky Man" but "From The Beginning", "Jerusalem" and others!!!

Edited by PianoManChuck
missed something
  • Like 1

Hoping the site will run smoothly honestly I'm having a hard time to even get to the forum my browsers are accordingly updated.

But somehow from time to time a sad smiley face turn up saying the site can't be reach its sad right. 

So is the site still under construction or what. 

There was just a small maintenance update that went through about 15 minutes ago 4:45pm EST.  That would have caused a very short interruption here on the server. Other than that I haven't seen any performance issues.  Next time you see an issue please try to make note of the date/time so I can look into it further. 

• Like 1

Today I could not use my desktop browser Chrome going to casiomusicforums at 19:15 CET it could find it.

Gave up on that browser used other browser couldn't get to the site neither, So I tried on my mobile browser and that

showed the site properly?. 

(edit)

I have to say after a few day's using the mobile experience of the site is really cool, It has a icon that shows the latest

comment. Browsing also made a breeze kudo's. 

Edited by XW-Addict
New mobile browsing experience casio site.

• 7 months later...
11 minutes ago, Rick Sterling said:

Tried to search the forums for 'zpk or '.zpk' without luck this morning. Apparently the forum software will not search for three letter words. Is there a work-a-round?

Found my work-a-round. Google to the rescue ....

zpk site:http://www.casiomusicforums.com/  did the trick.

EDIT: Note this will only work with Google Chrome of course. ;-)

Edited by Rick Sterling
Added info
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

It could be reasonable to enable option of creating a new sub-topics at least when the number of posts reaches certain value.

Some threads by default need this option some don't.

Also a creator of a root-topic should be able to move/re-group sub-topics and posts within the tree of that topic.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd like to reiterate my support for this forum. I tried a different music forum recently that appeared at first to be fun and mature. Turns out it's a den of drug addicts and other unsavory types. Watch out online you young people out there! The administrators here have been helpful and have a sense of humor. Keep running a tight ship!

• Like 1