Video Files on Forum ×

XW-P1 Midi in Ableton Live 9

ramosrm

Hello. It's a quick and simple question. I've been trying to configurate my kybd/DAW to use MIDI mappings with no success. I've been running through many websites and user manual but couldn't find the way. My XW-P1 is connected to my interface (Scarlett 18i6) with the in/out MIDI cables (however i tried with USB connection with no success), it does receive MIDI signal and the note keys do work, but I can't configure the assignable knobs/etc. When I try the MIDI mapping in my DAW, I move tke knob and it does receive MIDI data, but doesn't do the mapping at all. I tried with different control surfaces configuration (Casio doesn't appear as a control surface). With some of them, the knobs start moving "something", but i'm still not able to control "what" to move neither "how" to move it. I saw there is a Cakewalk .INS file, but I guess my DAW doesn't support those kind of files. As I said, I also tried connecting the keyboard through USB ports, with no success. Not sure if Windows drivers do affect something at all, but there are no Windows 7 USB drivers for the XW-P1 available on Casio's webpage. Despite of this, I checked my device manager and it's installed as CASIO USB-MIDI.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Max.

The XW-P1 uses the "Class Compliant" (Windows) or "Core MIDI" (MAC-OS/ iOS) drivers that have been built-in to Windows since XP Service Pack 2 and the last several versions of MAC-OS and iOS, so you will not find downloadable versions on the Casio web site.  They are not needed, as they are already built-in to those operating systems.  They load automatically when you connect the XW-P1 to your device.

You should also be aware that the XW-P1 sliders only send MIDI messages when the XW-P1 is in Drawbar Organ mode.

Instrument Definition (INS) files, and their equivalents., act as "translators" between the hardware device and the DAW for the selection of "voices" (tones), not as controller set up templates.  Devices that were designed as "stand alone" keyboards generally operate as a compromise, at best, when used for the level of control integration you are looking for, unless they were designed by the manufacturer in co-operation with the DAW designers for ultra-tight integration - such as Roland and Sonar or Yamaha and Cubase.  Like you, I did various searches to see if I could find anything that tied Ableton to the XW-P1 as a controller, but also came up with nothing. I even searched the Ableton forum for "XW-P1" and just "XW", and still nothing, but keep monitoring this thread.  There may be some other members here who might chime in with advice on what they have done.  That would save you from having to re-invent the wheel.  Other than that, you will need to grab the XW-P1 MIDI Implementation Chart to see what is possible and how to go about it, in order to write your own template.