midi program change for drums

Billsolo

:banghead:  Okay, I guess I'm stupid! But, I just can't get the drums sounds to work in the PX560 to a drum track in Sonar. I have tried control 120 0 and a program change 01. That doesn't work. What am I doing wrong here?

Secondly, is there a list of sounds I can put in my DAW/Sonar program to have the sound set be in the settings as needed? Like I have a GM and a XG set listed in Sonar.

Bill, probably very few of us can answer you satisfactorily as we don't all approach the keyboard exactly like you do -- or like exactly like the few other folks that are here.  All ten of them.  (kidding, but may not be too far off).  Brad answers where he can, and is probably the most well versed to answer questions here, regarding the PX-560.  But he doesn't even own a PX-560, so must do double studying of the manual and comparative analysis between the PX-5s and PX-560.  That said, the only way one of us could supply an answer for you, is to purchase Sonar and have a PC that would run it.  I only have a Mac and GarageBand.  Not quite the intense, bits and under the hood midi stuff of Sonar, which sounds very confusing.  GarageBand has drum kits, drummers, and drum pads to pick and choose  patterns from.  

I'm curious though at what you are doing and why.  Are you playing the drums on your keyboard, using the keys as a pad similar to Novation or Akai and other drum pads?  

• 2 months later...

Hi there , Dont know if you got to the bottom of this but, if you are still looking, here is what will work.

You have to send a system exclusive event to your device, so , in cakewalk , you can add an event and set its type to sysex and then send the following data

F0 41 10 42 12 40 00 7F 00 41 F7

this will force the 560M into general midi mode, and your drums on channel 10 will be recognised.

Hope this helps

Stu

• 1 year later...

Is there not a way to put the 360/560 models into GM mode in the menu or setup to enable receiving incoming midi data.  It seems the sampled pianos are not allocated the corresponding GM patch numbers, which will need all my midi files to be edited with a new patch/bank to use the best piano sounds.

Any help on this subject would be appreciated as I am a new 360 owner with very limited midi knowledge.