Video Files on Forum ×

Best External Speakers?

MattS

I continue to love my Previa PX-150 digital piano. When I use my studio headphones (Senheiser HD518), it sounds like there''s a grand piano in the room.  I can hear all the nuances the keyboard can deliver, and they are quite good.  But I am confounded when looking for an external speaker option. My goal is not volume, but accurate piano sound in a small apartment.  I tried a JBL 3- studio monitor, and it sort of works, but so much is missing in terms of audio range,  I didn''t get the huge roland keyboard amps, because they are more about filling a larger space.  Does anyone have any ideas of what speaker situation would most match what I get with the headphones?|

My suggestion-without specifying brands which is always based upon much personal listening to decide-powered close-field stereo monitors with settings for equalization if you can find such a beast-placed in an optimum position facing you, preferably at a height equal to your playing position, with a subwoofer below you, centered and near your pedals as bass frequencies are less directional than mids or highs. Since these will be close-field, the size does not have to be overly large. You will not be able to duplicate high-end headphones I think since the external environment will always impact what you hear, a situation solved with closed-back or vented headphones, but I'm sure you can create a very close approximation. I use a small powered mixer with parametric and graphic equalization running to 2 8" monitor speakers with midrange and tweeter drivers. A piano is one of the most challenging instruments to duplicate electronically due to its huge frequency spectrum and complex harmonics and dynamic range-the equalization really helps to tune the sound to something approximating the real thing. Hope this helps you.

• 3 weeks later...

yamaha studio monitors

There said a brand. Only question is five or eight inch. Not going to get headphone sound from speakers. Yet will get clarity and flat as possiable sound, close to reality of what's really going on. Placement is important, basically center of room wall, a few feet in front of wall, high enough where speakers are level with ears, slightly angled so when turn head left / right your looking directly at speaker. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2016 at 9:36 AM, Jokeyman123 said:

My suggestion-without specifying brands which is always based upon much personal listening to decide-powered close-field stereo monitors with settings for equalization if you can find such a beast-placed in an optimum position facing you, preferably at a height equal to your playing position, with a subwoofer below you, centered and near your pedals as bass frequencies are less directional than mids or highs. Since these will be close-field, the size does not have to be overly large. You will not be able to duplicate high-end headphones I think since the external environment will always impact what you hear, a situation solved with closed-back or vented headphones, but I'm sure you can create a very close approximation. I use a small powered mixer with parametric and graphic equalization running to 2 8" monitor speakers with midrange and tweeter drivers. A piano is one of the most challenging instruments to duplicate electronically due to its huge frequency spectrum and complex harmonics and dynamic range-the equalization really helps to tune the sound to something approximating the real thing. Hope this helps you.

Aye, good idea to setup different EQ on left / right channels. Piano is basically mixing a bloody band. If run EQ full open cloned, then, problems. Have to play with levels as well, the old max drive without clipping / noise dance.

• 3 years later...

I have been trying these out as a small set of powered speakers-sound very nice-have a ducted bass port out the back. Can be connected Bluetooth or hard-wired. Definite improvement over built-in keyboard speakers. There is an audio delay with Bluetooth so for live monitoring or practice need to be hard-wired. Can't recommend a vendor but I paid less than 40.00 US for a new pair with all accessories including a little remote control. Some charge alot more, but there are quite a few sets of these available from various sources for around 50.00 or so.

Insignia NS-HBTSS116 

insignia speakers.jpg