Video Files on Forum ×

VL-1:German folk song mystery (fake "Unterlanders Heimweh")

The song is one song, "Yama no ongakuka" / "Das Lied vom Musikanten", but it's first attested in the 19th century and is very likely to have originated as a mix of various earlier melodies, as is typical for folk and children's songs. So it's not the manufacturers of the VL-1 that mixed the songs but the people of 19th century northwestern Germany, specifically in Bergisches Land, in Nord Rhine-Westphalia, as that's where 19th century songbooks trace this song to.

Also, it looks like my knowledge of history is lackluster - it turns out that Nannerl is Nannerl Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus' older sister, for whom their father, Leopold Mozart, wrote that 1759-64 collection of melodies, one of which has a resemblance to ours. The melody in question is specifically dated to 1761 according to the sheet music. Now, the Mozarts are associated with Austria rather than northwestern Germany, but Leopold was from Augsburg which is right in the middle of the way between the two, so maybe their ultimate roots are in nrothwestern Germany?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi There! I foud this topic when trying to solve a mistery of the "Trinklied" song, that features in many Casio devices including my Casio Melody Watch model 82H108. I searched a lot of trinklied tunes including Mendelssohn Opus 73 and a the famous part from la Traviata  from Giuseppe Verdi and other composers, but for so far no clue about what misterious song is this. I believe Trinklied means drinking song so it is pretty generic.

Anybody found a trace for this one?

Edited by Dante Mantovani
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Bloody brilliant—this song has been a bit of an anthem to myself and others for decades! BTW, I have an original VL-1 (with case and manual), which I plan to circuit-bend… Some may not agree, but after 40+ years of listening to “German Folk Song,” I think I’ve earned the right. lol 

• Love 1