Video Files on Forum ×

very loud notes

dama

I'm wondering if there is an easy way to reduce the volume of just the upper notes of the DistDynoEPJK sound. The notes after the upper G6 seem to jump out in an ear piercing volume. I tried using the Hi EQ knob, but it does allow a good balance of volume through out. I was hoping to find a to balance it out better or more consistent.

This is a great sound, but it is disturbing when playing in the upper high end register. I sometimes forget how loud and sharp it is when taking a solo.

Thanks.

• Like 1

The upper notes are resonating. Most likely due to the DSP amp effect in combination with your monitor.  Press the DSP button and attempt to tweak the dist amp effect. Maybe change to another amp simulator.  About changing individual note volumes: Hex layer tones will be the only way.  Hex tones have a key follow function under the amp envelope section.  That will adjust key scaling.  

Thanks Brad. However, the DSP amp effect changing to another amp simulator has no effect on these select upper octave notes. Playing through my headphones or my PA doesn't change the problem either.

I don't know a whole lot about the Hex Layer tones and editing them, but I did try changing some values of the key follow functions in the (hex edit menu -layer -amp

-key follow). I didn't get much of a difference and don't really understand the editing properties there.

I see the following in the menu:

Low Key Follow    000

Low Key                 C4

High Key Follow   000

High Key                C4

LFO     Layer Depth 63

Just in case you want to hear this sound     thanks!

High key follow parameter will cause notes above the high key set point to raise or lower in volume depending on the value set.  The effect on volume is a gradual grading over the span of an octave or more.  Youll want to tweak both high key and high key follow to taste. Keep in mind each layer in a hex tone has this adjustment.

thanks again.I do see now how to get into the layers (4) of the Hex Layer Tone. I'll have to work with those parameters some to find a good adjustment. Well, at least I know where to look. I didn't see the zone/part/step/track buttons on to the left.

• Like 1

I tried it a bit yesterday. It seems like it going to take more time than I thought, as I'm definitely very experienced with how this all works and how some tweaking can effect the overall sound losing the bite. I'll work on though and post it if it comes out ok.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2016 at 5:21 PM, dama said:

I tried it a bit yesterday. It seems like it going to take more time than I thought, as I'm definitely very experienced with how this all works and how some tweaking can effect the overall sound losing the bite. I'll work on though and post it if it comes out ok.

After looking at this thread again, I meant to say the I'm definitely "not" very experienced with how this all works. Sorry about that.

• 2 months later...

New PX5 owner here.

Been reading through past threads and this one "jumped out at me" !

Ive noticed this artifact in this and other Eps and its not that "the upper notes are resonating ...in combination with your monitors..."

Its a jump in volume when you play harder but i dont think its a sample layer kind of thing.Makes one to play with some hesitation.

@dama Im wodering if dama fixed this as if he could up-load the fixed stage setting or explain how it was fixed it

would be realy appreciated and would finish of this thread in a real positive way.

Hi jacoba,

I did not delve into this problem any further, sorry to report. I tried briefly, but then got frustrated and moved on. I tried to choose some other EP presets that were a bit more consistent in dynamics. Some of my favorite post factory sounds suffer from this problem. They may sound great in a certain range of the keyboard, but then are very soft in the upper register for example.

DeepDynoRhds is a great sound, but the upper octaves are so thin and soft in volume. I guess you have to really hit the keys hard on the octaves and just the opposite with the DistDynoEPJK, where the upper register notes can shatter glass.

If you come up with any type of adjustment, please post it.

Thanks

Hey thanks for the quick response -impressive.

I guess i may try doubling and splitting the same sound in different zones with volume adjustments and see where that gets me.

Will post the outcome.

(But most of the post factory EPs are hex layers arnt they? So it may take some time and a lot of head-scratching!)

On a positive note ; the EPs in the PX5 sounded pretty good when played by Joe Sample. (RIP)

Cheers.

Yes, most post ep sounds are hex layer sounds. The Eps do sound good when played by the big names. I don't know all the settings that they use. Don't get me wrong, there are of good sounds on this keyboard, maybe some need tweaking.

This is good also.
Steve Weingart