Video Files on Forum ×

wurlitzer piano

Mimm

Roger Hodgson piped the Wurly's output into a Boss Chorus guitar effects pedal, which split the signal so that he could send half of it dry to the sound board and route the other half through the chorus effect before sending it to the sound board. You should be able to approximate this by selecting one of the Wurly type tones, then selecting the proper chorus type and adjusting the chorus send level.  I don't hear a lot of chorusing going on in that sound, so you would need to be careful not to over do it.  I couldn't tell if he was using any reverb.  I don't think so, but you may want to add a bit anyway to simulate the resonance of a large concert hall.  This one would be to your taste, but you don't want to over do it either.  I recommend doing all of this via the Tone Edit mode and saving it as a User Tone as opposed to doing it through the Mixer and saving it as a Registration.  User Tones have better permanence than Registrations, as they are not as apt to get mistakenly overwritten as Registrations are.  Part of that is because you can name a User Tone by/for its particular purpose, while a Registration is just a generic number.

Now, as I said above, this only approximates what Roger did.  Chorus, by itself, consists or two elements, one wet and one dry, so he was actually mixing a completely dry signal with a wet/dry (chorused signal), so if the above does not get you close enough, and you need more separate control over the dry versus wet/dry parts of the signal, then you would need to select one of the Wurly type tones and layer it with the same tone number, then add chorus to one layer and leave the other dry.  Again, you would need to experiment with the chorus type and chorus send level and possibly some of the Tone parameters of the dry Tone until you get it as close as possible.    You would definitely need to save the chorused tone as a User Tone, but if you make any changes at all to the dry tone, you would need to save it as a User Tone as well.  The mix of the two layered tones you would need to save as a Registration.  No choice on this one, since you can not save two different User Tones as one.  Any time you are combiming User Tones you can only save the combination as a Registration.  The relative volumes of the two tones you can set as part of the User Tones or as part of the Registration, but I recommend saving them as part of the individual User Tones.  If that still does not get you close enough, then you would need to create a custom User DSP Chorus effect and use that instead of the preset, but I am not going to go into that here, because I think the very first procedure at the top will do it for you.  So the trick now is to select the right "Wurly" sound to begin with.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted