Help or advice needed (CZ230S)

ta152c

Hello.

Do any forum members know where I might get a replacement B key for the above synth? 

Or, is there an equivalent replacement? Its really nice, has lovely CZ sounds and drums from the RZ-1.  Pic enclosed (ebay). Key contact still works! Casio and Yamaha stuff lasts forever, only batteries are their Kryptonite :) 

Thanks.

David.

$_57.JPG

I have both the 230S and the CZ-101. I don't know for a fact that they keys look the same on the inside (I've never opened up the 230S), but I think it's a pretty sure bet that the keys are the same. I wouldn't be surprised if the 230S keys were the same as a whole range of Casios (MTs, Casiotones, etc.) from the same period. But to stick to the CZ-101 and other CZ replacement parts, your best bet might be Syntaur and their CZ-101 key replacements page.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post but I'm wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this. I have a 230s with some broken keys as well, already took it apart and have the bad 'rack' of keys out. I've been searching desperately for a replacement. Currently it looks like my best bet is to look for another broken one (with good keys) or that the MT-520 might have the same keys. Can any one confirm any of this or point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Tony

I'd be fairly certain that some similar era Casios share the same keys. Casio would be unlikely to have just made a set unique to the CZ230S. As it uses smaller keys, check for spares from the Casio MT series of the same era. Quite likely that those will fit.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Kudos on solving this! Yes, the keys are strip keys from the MT line from mid 80s. The most common to find for the CZ230S would be from the MT205 super drums keyboard or MT240 tonebank keyboards which funny enough, looks like that is exactly what you did! lol! MT240! I see the smallish mainboard, and newer styled white ribbon cables!.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone absolutely confirm that the Casio MT240 keys are compatible with the CZ230s.  I have a CZ230s which works perfectly except for 6 broken keys and am looking to replace it with a MT240 just for the set of keys.  Looking at photos of the MT240 black notes they are squarer and flat on top unlike the CZ230s which have a slight dip on them.  I'm sure this is just cosmetic, but wanted final clarity that the MT240 keys strip will fit, before I commit to buying one.

Looking at the pics above, the black keys on the CZ are the original as they have the dip.  It is unclear that the other model in the photo is indeed a MT240.  Can anyone confirm this...

1 hour ago, NYoung said:

Can anyone absolutely confirm that the Casio MT240 keys are compatible with the CZ230s.  I have a CZ230s which works perfectly except for 6 broken keys and am looking to replace it with a MT240 just for the set of keys.  Looking at photos of the MT240 black notes they are squarer and flat on top unlike the CZ230s which have a slight dip on them.  I'm sure this is just cosmetic, but wanted final clarity that the MT240 keys strip will fit, before I commit to buying one.

Looking at the pics above, the black keys on the CZ are the original as they have the dip.  It is unclear that the other model in the photo is indeed a MT240.  Can anyone confirm this...

Hi! I can absolutely confirm that the MT240, if you have that keyboard, has the exact same keys! The keys set is also found on the: MT205,220,500,520,540,600, the 240, and of course, the CZ230S, and HT700 synthesizers!

Brilliant thanks for confirming.  I have my eye on a couple (MT240 and MT500) on ebay at the moment that look and sound like they are in pretty good condition.

I hadn't used my CZ230s for a while, but got it out to listen to the sounds played through a studiologic midi keyboard I have.  The sounds might be low fi but they are really really good.  Brings back a lot of happy memories.  It'll be nice to have a fully playable CZ again soon...

Its not something I would ever part with...

3 hours ago, NYoung said:

Brilliant thanks for confirming.  I have my eye on a couple (MT240 and MT500) on ebay at the moment that look and sound like they are in pretty good condition.

I hadn't used my CZ230s for a while, but got it out to listen to the sounds played through a studiologic midi keyboard I have.  The sounds might be low fi but they are really really good.  Brings back a lot of happy memories.  It'll be nice to have a fully playable CZ again soon...

Its not something I would ever part with...

Amen! It is my pleasure to help! Yes I do not blame you with not wanting to part from it.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased that MT240 from ebay with the intention of replacing the keyboards.  I had never done this before.  The MT240 was not so difficult to dismantle to remove the keys, only one small circuit board to move out the way carefully.  Casio, it appears loves screws judging by the quantity I removed.  16 screws to open the keyboard itself, at least 6 for the circuit board then more (I lost count at this stage) to free up the metal frame the keys were fixed to and then even more to remove the keys from the frame.  This went really smooth.

Then to the CZ-230s which was another matter.  Same principle of course, but when you are faced with two large circuit boards sitting side by side attached by a small data cable you do get a bit of a lump in your throat.  After carefully lifting these up at right angles out of the way, I then had to remove a smaller circuit board underneath with more screws, one quite awkwardly placed behind one of the several data cables there.  To move this circuit board out the way I had to unscrew another very small circuit board on the (upside down) right side (only two screws this time) as it was cable tied and was otherwise too tight.  This allowed it to be moved away enough so I could then get to the frame and the keys.

There was a point where I thought, if this still works when I put together it'll be a miracle.  You really do need a lot of patience doing this.

One thing I found helpful was that the key strips were in two halves split from the Tenor B - Middle C part.  I annoyingly noticed at this stage that the top A# on the MT240 was a bit weak and wobbly, so I had a brainwave to use the top three sharps from my original keyboard which were intact.  The middle octave on mine had a couple of wobbly sharps lower down so I couldn't just switch the whole top half.  I spliced them at the point where the E and the F met on the keyboard, so that the screw holes were not compromised.  This worked perfectly and so in the end I had a complete set of perfectly solid keys.  The Middle C - Top C strip is now made up of one white strip (Two octaves) and two black strips split between D# and F# in the top octave, but with so many screws holding it all together they are perfectly solid.

After a slow process of putting everything back.  I wondered if it would still work.  Powering up and hearing the 00 Brass sound play on every key, I heaved a sigh of relief and thought job done.  I tested it thoroughly over the next few days and I can say I am the proud owner of a fully functional CZ-230s which I have owned since 1986.  Even my old MT lead still works.  It's a nice feeling of achievement.

Thanks Robby and Pianokeyjoe for the advice.  I only wish I had thought to replace the keys sooner. 

I didn't take any photos as I was really focused on what I was doing, so I hope my description is helpful and not confusing...

A week later, I discovered a software version by pluginboutique called Virtual CZ.  If you like CZ sounds particularly the CZ-1, 101, 230s and 1000 then this software is worth a look.  The sound banks included are not the originals even though they are good, but I found a link to original CZ101 and CZ230s sounds which can be imported into it.  What is really weird is that they all play at 32 note poly and are all editable.  Just thought I'd let you know in case you didn't...

• Like 2

My pleasure to help @NYoung! And thankyou for the info on the virtualCZ! That SYNTH BRASS on the CZ230S is the only preset I love most and the one I use to test those "VIRTUAL CZ" plugins.. Sadly, THAT one tone is NOT reproduced on any soft synths. Here is my challange, anyone who DOES have the virtual CZ, if you can import that preset tone(also found on the CT6500 and CZ3000/5000), and it sounds like the real thing? Please try and post a video of it if you can? The same Brass synth sound is called Brass Ens on the Casio SK1.

• Like 1

I have a bank of all 100 CZ-230s sounds that I have imported into the Virtual CZ including the Brass Ens 1.  To my ears and forgive me if I am wrong it does sound like the original but sadly without the decay.  In Virtual CZ this can be tweaked...  I have added a sound sample of the Brass Ensemble from the presets.  I did notice that a handful of the CZ sounds were close but not completely accurate like no.98 Miracle for example.  Its the same sound but the delay timing was wrong.  I tweaked it in the Virtual CZ software and got it as close to the original as I could.  The link to the presets I found are here...  They include the CZ-1, CZ-101, CZ 230s, CZ-1000 sounds...

https://geocities.restorativland.org/SunsetStrip/Frontrow/4877/cz101.html

Is it the same Brass Ens sound on the CT6500 and CZ3000/5000 as on the CZ230s?  I have never heard those before...

image.png.2273b2105805b42a4a52752775f8f387.png

Brass Ens 1-VirtualCZ 10.mp3

5 hours ago, NYoung said:

Tweaked it a bit on the AMP ENV section and got this...

Will compare with the CZ-230s version when I get home...

image.png.52c643a1f418c42ff324b5d250979141.png

Brass Ens 1 tweak-VirtualCZ 10-VirtualCZ 10.mp3 783.17 kB · 1 download

Hi! Thankyou for this! Actually, the sound I speak of is SYNTH BRASS. It would be called that on the CZ230S and CZ3000/5000, and CZ1. On the CZ2000S as well. It is Brass Ens, only on the SK1 sampler. Now the SYNTH BRASS sound is the same Brass Ens sound you have uploaded but the SECOND line(osc)is an octave LOWER, so the sound is now thicker. The CT6500 has it as Brass Ens but it is a Synth Brass(same as your sound but layered and one of the oscillators is lower octave, and the other oscillator is at normal octave setting). I can SEE my CT6500 keyboards in my music room.. but I can not GET to my CT6500 yet. Alot of stuff in front of them. I will be uploading the sounds I like to here and thus everyone can hear and benefit. But you got close.. Check your CZ230S panel for Synth BRASS..

Hmm, I confused this with the CZ1, sorry, I would say it would be Brass Ens 2 or 3. It will be a thicker layered version of Brass Ens 1 that you uploaded. The sound has a normal octave layer and a lower octave layer mixed. I finally pulled out the CT6500 and plugged it in and played the unit. and it smells like it wants to fry so I am afraid to play it again till I check it inside. I will record the sound from it, soon enough though just in case.

Oh man, I just realized lol, it could also be SYNTH ENS 1 or 2. Casio did change the names for the SAME preset across the various CZ keyboards.. That maybe where I got SYNTH in the name from. I just found a video that plays the sound I like, at the very start. Seems the LCD is set to 00.

Edited by pianokeyjoe
Found sound example to link

I thought it was 00 that I used, but maybe the vst presets were named wrongly and mixed up.  Or perhaps the settings were wrong when they were made.  It's possible.  I didn't create them.  The link to the CZ230s presets has all 100 of them, though some are not quite right, close but not exact.  A shame Pluginboutique says that the Virtual CZ dosen't support the CZ230s at the moment so extracting the sounds might not be possible.  I will have a go and see if I can extract the sound from my CZ.  Never done this before but I like a challenge...  The alternative is that I tweak the 00 sound until it is right.  I've only had this software less than a month and I'm still learning what it does.  It's perhaps the most fun synth plugin I've used.

Did you say the sound is on the CZ1 as well under a different name?  I have presets for the CZ1, CZ101 and CZ1000 too...  They are also listed in the link I posted...