Recording a song using song sequencer

Hi guys

Need some help please!

I'm using the Casio WK 7600 and want to know if there's a way to record an entire song using the song sequencer function?

At the moment I can only record 4 bars worth of melody but I don't know how to make this longer. 

All I need to do is record a simple baseline that's repeated throughout the whole song and record a melody over this. I'm wondering whether I need to loop the four bar baseline and then record a melody over this baseline? Just don't know how to do this!

Any help would be much appreciated! 

Thank you 😊

Rod

I had posted a reply, but deleted it, because when I reread your original post and my reply, I realized that I had not really understand what you are trying to do.  (At least I don't think I did.)  I thought you had laid down the baseline with the Pattern Sequencer, which can not be used that way.  Now I am thinking that you did it with the Song Sequencer, and that is what is causing your problem.  If you recorded 4 bars and stopped the sequencer, then that 4 bars becomes the song length for all tracks in the entire song. In other words, as the first recorded track, it becomes the controlling track in this respect. As you try to record your melody, the sequencer is playing back your base line. and when it reaches the end of bar 4, it encounters a "stop" and shuts down.  As BradMz has replied below, you need to copy and paste your 4 bar base line for the entire song, then record your melody over that, but your baseline will not automatically follow the key of your melody, so you will need to adjust for that as you do your pasting.  The Song Sequencer is a straight forward linear sequencer.  It will not "loop" on any track.

NOW !  Another way to do this is to record your baseline (in the key of C only) into the BASE track of the NORMAL section of a rhythm with the Pattern Sequencer and save it as a User Rhythm.  Then, turn on Accompaniment, press SYNC START, and NORMAL, press the RECORD button, and start playing your melody with your right hand as you play the proper chord sequence with your left.  Your baseline and the Song Sequencer will start automatically and everything will be recorded.  If your melody requires two handed play, set the keyboard Fingering Mode to FULL RANGE, and the keyboard will monitor the notes you play with both hands to determine the proper key for the baseline.  With this method, you can even throw a drum part on the drum track in that NORMAL section to go along with your baseline.  One caveat with this.  You only recorded your baseline in the NORMAL section of your User Rhythm, so do not touch any of the INTRO, NORMAL, VARIATION, or ENDING buttons or you will lose your baseline.  Once play starts, you can't even touch the NORMAL button, as that switches it to the NORMAL FILL section, and there is no baseline there.  I know, this gets a little deep, but I offer it as something to think about trying at some point in the future.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted

• Like 1

Ted beat me to it. :) To add to what he said, yes... a full song can be done.  As he said, use the song seq not the pattern seq.  To make a loop in the song seq you will need to record the 4 bars then "copy" that section multiple times.  See page E-72 in the manual for recording individual tracks then go to the section on editing a song to learn how to copy.  Another option is to play the entire track manually.  Sometimes, if I really want to loop something, I will create a user pattern sequnce, save that, then record it to the system track in the song seq.    

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are amazing. Thanks so much for your advice!

I'm wondering if there are any videos online to demonstrate this? It might take me a while to work through it all so anything visual will help!

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Rod

Here is a YouTube video clip that Paul Noble, of Casio Australia, did on the CTK-7000/WK-7500 several years ago, but the Song Sequencer in the CTK-7200/WK-7600 is identical, so it should work for you.  It's good, but it's brief, and if you don't watch/listen VERY closely, you can miss a lot.  For more videos on the Song Sequencer, you can go to YouTube and do a search on something like "wk-7500 wk-7600 song sequencer".  There is a ton of stuff out there in various languages, but this particular video is one of a fairly large series by Paul Noble and Jared Beany, of Casio Australia, on many subjects for various models.  For those, go to YouTube and do a search on "casio select workshop".  Do these searches from within YouTube, itself - not from Google or Bing or etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pgqux527BY

At some time, should you become interested in doing some User Rhythm work with the Pattern Sequencer, you will find Mike Martin's tutorial for that at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVdFRBmNID4

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted