Video Files on Forum ×

Some keys clattering and more loose on a PX-160?

tbp0701

Hi,

I've had a PX-160 since December and in general have been pretty happy with it. However, after two months the middle C and F above it felt noticeably more loose and clattered a bit. Since then a few other keys have had a similar feeling.  Is this a normal/expected occurrence as the piano is played or is it something to be concerned about?  (On a related note, I also had an issue where the speakers didn't come back on after using and removing headphones. Reinserting/removing the headphones and turning the unit off and on fixed it.  That hasn't happened in a month or so, however).   

In general, while I find these issues concerning and noticeable/somewhat distracting while playing, they haven't been enough of a problem to send the piano in for repair, particularly as I'll guess factory repair would take some time and this is my only piano.  Thanks.

i certainly would not qualify this as normal although I do not own the PX-160 but have 2 other hammer-action Casios. since this sounds like a relatively new instrument-I might contact Casio tech support and ask about it. If it is under warranty, I would let them deal with this as IMO this should not have happened this early in the game. This further info is only for any tech you might want to refer to, or yourself if you are not under warranty.

If you read my (way too many!) posts about the felt bumper strips used by Casio, it might help at least to understand what "may be" happening. I am not a pro technician, I can only suggest that the felt strips over time become compacted due to the weight of the fulcrum arms which give the Casios that nice weighted feel to the keys. And this can be inconsistent, this may be the case with yours-certain parts of the felt strip can become more compacted than others-since you are describing the middle register-this is possibly where you are doing the majority of your playing and the felt has become compacted there first. The clacking suggests to me that the bottom strip is wearing-check if the sound is on key down or on the release-typically on 3 Casios I have worked with, there is a strip above and below the fulcrum arm. When this is worn enough, the metal fulcrum arm will be hitting very close to the bottom of the case and this can cause a pretty loud clunk or rattle. I wish I knew how the PX-160 was constructed-my PX575 had a plastic cover underneath that exposed this bottom strip without further disassembly and I was able to ad felt to the bottom of the key travel. an older Privia I also rebuilt had the same opening underneath and I was able to to do the same on that, again without any further dis-assembly.

Again, I just pass this on as information and I would certainly not mess with this yourself unless again 1) you are a pro tech with experience and 2) your Casio is no longer under warranty and 3) you are not willing to let Casio repair it although I think that will be the best option-the problem will not get better and it may spread to other keys as well, not a pleasant playing experience for anyone! Hope I helped.

• Like 1

Jokeyman123 - Thanks.  What you've described sounds like it could be the issue, but again I've only had the PX-160 since December, and it was bought new.  So i don't think any felt strips should be wearing that quickly, but it is under warranty.  I wouldn't want to send it for repair and be told that the wear/action was normal or "breaking in," so I thought I'd ask. Right now I'm considering if the issue is troubling enough to go without a digital piano for a while (or get another).  Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd give an update should anyone be interested.  At a little under four months I'm thinking I got a lemon. More keys have become looser/clatter more, and it's become common to have to reinsert and remove the headphone plug to get the speakers unmuted after using headphones in a previous session.  And today I couldn't get it to turn off. It stopped generating sound, but all the lights remained lit and would not shut off. So I unplugged it.  After plugging it back in it seemed okay. 

I suppose I'll have to contact Casio and pack it up to send for warranty repair, as the once small issues are now combining to strip much of the fun out of playing it.