USB Audi Interface & DAW

Justin

So I just purchased the Casio PX-5S and very excited to join the community. I purchased the piano mainly to learn a new instrument. I'm also excited about the midi features as I currently mess around with Ableton and like to compose songs. 

How many users have their PX-5S integrated with their DAW for audio recording? I know that the PX-5S sends midi over USB but do others find it useful to add a USB audio interface? Alternatively are people finding it easiest to record to a USB stick directly? 

I'm thinking I'll want a USB audio interface as this will allow me to use Ableton (which I'm familiar with) and get all the sounds from Casio and not rely on additional VST instruments. The PX-5S has a line in so I could also send a guitar signal or other sounds to the keyboard to compose in the casio? I didn't purchase it with this in mind but suppose it is an option. 

Interested in hearing how others record? I don't currently own a USB audio interface and thinking of the Focusrite Scarlet. 

I would get a usb audio interface. Lots of cool sounds in and downloadable for the PX-5S.  If you do a bunch of recording, I would think about going with a small mixer rather than attempt the line in on the 5s. Line in is best reserved for casual play along with mp3 players and the sort.  Usb mixers are a nice option. Recording direct to usb stick is really easy but it really depends on how complex you want to record.  Simple one shot tracks, I might go to usb stick.  I would record direct to daw if I have a bunch of tracks going and doing a bunch of punch-in or clips.  

I love the simplicity of the USB stick

(you can assign volume to it which you must have)

TO SET UP AUDIO VOLUME;

(edit

Stage setting,you will see 3 in your window,Yea its the 4th,underneath or  ">" will get you there.

Now you are in common edit

Pick a knob....say K3

and scroll until you find "audio volume"............K2 will help and if you go backwards its quicker)

I hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...

" Interested in hearing how others record? I don't currently own a USB audio interface and thinking of the Focusrite Scarlet.  "

I use the Scarlett 2i4 with my PX-5S.  For any other Audio Interface; I strongly recommend those models with MIDI In/Out.  You'll have the USB grounding noise problem if both the PX-5S & Audio interface use USB cable connections to PC/Mac.

For my setup, I actually use an older PC running Linux.  For audio, I use an Echo Gina 24 plugged into a PCI slot (2ms to 5ms latency) and I plug midi (5 pin) into a legacy SoundBlaster card (also plugged into a PCI slot).  I can hear no noise, but can see small fluctuations on the Ginas vu meters.  This comes from the PX-5s outputs using unbalanced cables.  The noise is inaudible, but could probably be lessened or close to eliminated if I used a converter.

I record usually into Ardour.   MIDI I may use Rosegarden.  I use a lot of different tools to edit midi files.