And I love her/Beatles cover

I enjoyed it; it's a well-played rendition of a familiar Beatles tune. You put some nice fills and riffs in between the melody lines.  

I'm always trying to learn from other musicians, and learning riffs is one of my items of focus.  You have been a favorite pianist of mine, and an example of where I'd like to be in the future.  Maybe you could help me, as I have recently started playing again.  

What is your method of acquiring riffs and flourishes? (Formal lessons, reading standard notation, by ear, listening to others, from media or noodling)?

Also, when did you begin to learn them, and how long have you been working on them?

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Trent, i'd be delighted to tell you. First you put on your favourite pianist, then you switch the volume off on your piano. 

Just imagine you're playing along with your favourite pianist and you're playing the riff he is playing.

So what happens to help you to play?

Because you are not put off by your notes you can settle into his grove which is most important.

Let your imagination run away with you and see yourself in the band .

Later you can find out what key he is in and transpose it to a key you like...... Perhaps the key of C.

Let me know how you get on ?

It works.....

Majnoon

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cameron MacKenzie said:

Very soothing piece. Has a bit of a Vince Guaraldi feel to it.

I had to look him up and  listen to him on YouTube .............very very good 

When I seem to be doing lately is not thinking about anyone else playing but just going into the quiet side of me where the music doesn't have any conflict,it's simply within its own boundaries and that seems to work for me 

Thanks for the tips, majnoon. I'm much closer to being able to record something suitable for this site than I was at the beginning of the year.  I've never gigged nor done home studio much with keyboards, but you've given me some things to ponder as I am progressing towards that goal. 

Most of my instrument playing stems from 50 years of gigging as a bass player in several dozen (mostly) rock/blues bands. Starting with formal guitar lessons, then after about 6 months, playing by ear took over when I met my first band mates in 1963, at 15 years old.  Chord patterns and riffs learned from records became our first method of learning; while copying other bands albums and songs.  It became easier to learn new material as time progressed as we swapped licks, until finally, baseline patterns became ingrained enough to be routine.  Then, magic began to happen, and creativity blossomed into original parts from within ourselves. Getting "into the groove"  lifted our band, as we became a one, wholeness, instead of a group of dissimilar individuals. 

Carrying this into keyboard, along with other more formal technique, is the process of playing enough that it becomes comfortable; so much so that the sheet music is no longer depended on as the modus-of-operandi.  If we are solo players, our developed music technique can feel the music, and it then comes from the soul. I'm not there yet, but closing in on it. 

As familiarity with learning a variety of songs grows, it is getting to the point that those riffs are starting to develop and becoming my own. At my age, it's taking a little more time though; but it's possible, just like the little engine who claimed; "I think I can," or whatnot.  I really think I can, and I'm working to achieve it.    :)

Trent,

I'm delighted your heading in the right direction.

Enjoy it and "hear' what you are playing so you are not only the performer but the listener too.

One little tip

If you wish to say"get your fingers right"

and the riff is not working with the way you are playing it

When you get the right finger work

You must do it right 21 times to undo the incorrect way you learned first.

(If I may ask,what country are you in?)

It will come

I always thought swing was from left to right

My wife said a strange thing......."it bounces"

I then noticed that all my favourite music not only did "swing" from left to right but also bounced....up and down

Do you know what I mean?

Try listening to 'Happy" by Pharrell Williams Williams without bouncing.

or