WK-1600 to WK-7600

Hi

I have just upgraded from the WK-1600 to the WK-7600.

On the WK-1600 I would start a rhythm and decide I didn't want to hear the drums or one of the other backing instruments and it was just a matter of pressing the relevant numbered button underneath the instrument to switch it off or on again.  Is there a way to do this on the WK-7600?  I have looked in the manual but it really is not an easy manual to make sense of.

Rhona

What you did with the discrete hardware buttons on the WK-1600 are somewhat hidden within the MIXER feature menus on the WK-7600.  Software menus are much less expensive to manufacture than hardware buttons and wires and foil traces on a circuit board !  Now, there are many items that the MIXER can adjust, but in order to avoid the same confusion that the manual causes by inundating you with 1000 times more data than you need at the moment, I am only going to cover the subject at hand - how to turn various Auto-accompaniment Rhythm parts on and off.  Other features and items can be covered in the future as the need arises.

So, power the WK-7600 ON, select a rhythm, and start the Auto-accompaniment.  We want the rhythm "running" so that you can hear the changes as you make them.  Press the  MIXER button.  The MIXER screen comes up and shows the Tone assigned to the currently selected Channel.  Now look at the upper right display panel, which is a bar-graph level meter.  Note the "A" at the lower left corner of the grid, indicating that the display is showing "A" Channels 01 through 16, which are dedicated to all elements of Auto-accompaniment play.  Channels B 01 through 16 are for other purposes and are currently beyond the scope of this discussion.  Also note the cursor line beneath the number 1 at the bottom of the first column of the grid.  This indicates that Channel 1 is the currently selected channel, the information for which is shown in the upper left display panel.  Refer to the table on Page E-36 of the manual for how the "A" Channels are assigned to the various parts.  Press the CURSOR DOWN ( V ) button ONCE.  Notice that we now have access to PART ON/OFF and PART VOLUME, but we are on the wrong Channel.  We are on the Channel for the right hand melody part.  All of the rhythm parts are over to the right on Channels 09 through 16.  Channel 09 and 10 are percussion and drums, 11 is bass, and the rest for the melodic rhythm instruments.  Use the CURSOR RIGHT ( > ) / LEFT ( < ) buttons to select the Channel (instrument) you want to turn off.  Make sure the word "Part" has a large blue dot to the left of it, and the word [[ on ]] is in heavy brackets.  If not, use the CURSOR UP ( ^ ) button to highlight that line.  Press the minus ( - ) button to turn the Part OFF or the plus ( + ) button to turn it back on.  Once you have everything arranged the way you like, you can play it this way for just this playing session only, or you can save these settings as a Registration for quick recall in the future, but that Registration will only apply to this particular Rhythm.  If you want to modify a different Rhythm, you would need to go through the above procedure for that Rhythm, and save it to a different Registration.

Good luck !  Hope this helps !

Regards,

Ted

• Like 1

Rhona

The procedure you are looking for begins in the right hand column of Page E-112 of the WK-7600 manual.  It is titled "To edit an existing rhythm with Easy Edit".  I am going to point you to this, and let you work your way through it as best you can, BUT with the usual several paragraphs of hints and tips and precautions and forewarnings of the various pitfalls and problem areas.  First off, what do they mean by "Easy Edit" ?  Easy Edit means you only intend to turn various rhythm parts on or off, or change their relative volumes, or pan settings, or the instrument tones assigned to them, etc, etc, etc, but you do not intend to record your own rhythm patterns in real time with the Pattern Sequencer - that is "Not-so-Easy Editing".  The CTK/WK-6XXX units have a RHYTHM EDITOR button that takes the user directly into Easy Edit mode.  Since they are not equipped with Pattern Sequencers for real time recording of patterns, they are already in Easy Edit mode when you press that button, but on the CTK\WK-7XXX units, you access the Easy Edit mode via the Pattern Sequencer's menus.  In several places, this procedure will refer you to other sections of the manual.  Be sure to follow through on those referrals, as they contain essential information.  One shows you how to set up the keyboard so that you can audition your edits with the Mixer as you make them.  Another shows you how to solo a particular part, so that you can hear it alone, without having to turn all the other parts off and back on individually.

This procedure makes reference to what it calls "accompaniment patterns", which to my way of thinking is a way too generic term.  To many users, an "accompaniment pattern" is the ENTIRE rhythm.  I prefer to call them "rhythm sections", as that is what rhythms consist of - six "sections" - INTRO, NORMAL, NORMAL FILL, VARIATION, VARIATION FILL, and ENDING.  Then each "section" consists of eight instrument parts A09 through A16, which are PERCUSSION, DRUMS, BASS, and five CHORDAL instrument parts, respectively,  So, wherever I use the term "rhythm section", I am referring to what the manual calls "accompaniment patterns".  I just realized in writing this, that I have made a terrible mistake in several other threads on this subject on this forum.  When I count the total number of editable items in this process, I normally calculate 8 parts in a total of 6 sections, for a total of 48, but that is not correct.  INTROs and ENDINGs can not be changed in ANY way.  They really are not parts of the actual rhythm, but are just pre-recorded read-only sequencer phrase adjuncts to the rhythms.  You can copy entire INTROs and ENDINGs from one rhythm to another, but you can not change anything internal to them - no part on/off, or volume, or pan, etc, etc, etc.  So, that now means we have 8 parts in each of 4 sections, for a total of 32 editable items.  The whole point is: there is NO global edit command that will change a given part in all sections at the same time.  ALL edits MUST be made on a part-by-part, section-by-section basis.  If you want to change a given part in all four sections, you will need to make four identical edits on that part - one in each of the sections, but if you only want to make that change in, say, the two FILL sections, then you only need to make two identical edits.  Like wise, if you want to make changes to two of the parts throughout the entire rhythm, you would need to make eight edits - one for each instrument part in each of the four sections, and so on.  Once again, there is NO global edit command within a rhythm.  My apologies to any I may have lead astray with my previous bad math.

When you get to Step 7 in the procedure, skip Item 1 in that step and go on to Item 2, as that is what you are actually asking about.  We will come back to Item 1 in a bit, as it gets a little more involved.  Item 2 shows you how to make changes (on/off, volume, pan, tone, etc) to the various parts.  Again, be sure to follow through on the referral in that Item.  Now, once you have completed this successfully, go back to Item 1 in Step 7.  This is where the real power of this rhythm editor begins to shine.  This Item explains how to copy complete section/part rhythm patterns from one rhythm to another - along with all of its parameters (tone, volume, pan, etc).  Once the copy process is complete, you can use the Item 2 procedure to fine tune the newly copied part to suit your tastes/needs.  Now, as usual, nothing is perfect.  You MUST copy section to like section and part to like part..Items copied from the NORMAL section of the source rhythm MUST be copied to the NORMAL section of the target rhythm.  It can not be copied to any other section of the target.  You set the target section in the target rhythm, then go to the source rhythm.  Once there, any attempt to change sections will cause the editor to fall back to the target rhythm and abort the copy process.  By the same token, copied parts must be the same on both source and target.  If you copy Part 14 from the source, it must go to Part 14 on the target.  Any attempt to cross parts here will result in either data just not being copied, or all data on the target part being erased.  This is also the procedure for copying entire INTROs and ENDINGs from one rhythm to another.  All you need to do is select one section/part in the target rhythm, then select the same section/part in the source rhythm, press exit, save it, and the entire INTRO or ENDING will be copied.  A word of caution here, if this results in too abrupt of a change from INTRO to mains or from mains to ENDING due to dissimilar instruments, it may be necessary to copy one or more instrument parts from the source rhythm mains to the target rhythm mains in order to smooth the transition a bit.

Now, a few words about saving your results.  Both the Tone Editor and Rhythm Editor default to their respective  User Locations of 001 for saving.  If you overlook this during the save process and do not specify a new User location, then your newly edited data will be saved to the default location.  If the default location has valuable data stored in it, then it inadvertently gets overwritten with the new data.  For this reason, I strongly recommend keeping USER TONE 001 and USER RHYTHM 001 strictly as temporary "work areas" or "scratch pads".  During the typical edit process, it is not uncommon to edit, save, listen, edit, save, listen, any number of times.  If you are having to remember to change the save location each time, and actually make the save location change each time, this is a hindrance to good workflow.  Just let the saves default to the 'work area" location, and move it to a safe permanent location when finished.  The easiest way to do this, is to bring the edited item up one last time in the editor.  Make a minor change to one of the parameters, and immediately put it back to its original value, so there is no actual change, but the editor "sees" it as a change,  Now, when you press the EXIT button, the editor will bring up the save dialog and allow you to enter the new, permanent location.  ALL DONE !  I also strongly recommend giving each of your creations its own unique name.  Having several different versions of Tones or Rhythms in User memory under identical names is a sure recipe for eventual disaster.

Good luck !  -  Enjoy !  Let us know how things go !

Regards,

Ted

On 31.03.2016 at 6:39 PM, tnicoson said:

Use the CURSOR RIGHT ( > ) / LEFT ( < ) buttons to select the Channel (instrument) you want to turn off.  Make sure the word "Part" has a large blue dot to the left of it, and the word [[ on ]] is in heavy brackets.  If not, use the CURSOR UP ( ^ ) button to highlight that line.  Press the minus ( - ) button to turn the Part OFF or the plus ( + ) button to turn it back on. 

You can use sliders with setting "9-16" instead "<",">", "-""+". It's more flexible.