Video Files on Forum ×

Playing PX5S from another master keyboard.

michaeln2

My Akai MPK88 controller keyboard will only transmit note data on 1 midi channel at a time.  When i play a stage setting on the PX from the Akai, it will only sound the tone that is on zone 1.   This is fine for stage settings that only use 1 zone.......but not for stage setings that have additional zones turned on.(layers,etc)

The question is, can the zones (1 to 4) have their midi receive channels changed within the stage setting?

Many thanks.

Thank you  Brad, much appreciated.

i have just discovered I still have an ancient Akai ME25S midi note separator hiding under a bed in the spare room.........puchased in the early 1990's.  This will allow up to 4 midi channels to be controlled from 1 channel.

Many thanks again.

• 6 months later...
On 31 March 2016 at 7:49 PM, BradMZ said:

Unfortunately not. The sound engine in the PX-5S is 16 channel mulitimbral.  Zones 1 thru 4 of stage settings control channels 1 thru 4 respectively.  In order to control those channels from an external source, you'll need to send midi to the same channels. 

This doesn't appear to be the case for me! Zone 1 on my PX recieves on all channels regardless, meaning that have a Rhodes accompanying all the music on every channel. Nice, but not required!,