Sign in to follow this  
foxinejay

How Do I Play the CMS Files I Transferred?

Hi! 

I just got a wk 7600 and I am in love! This is the first midi/workstation I've ever used so it's been a lot of learning! I have connected my usb to my PC and downloaded the data manager and was able to transfer my song sequencer files to my computer however, they transferred as CMS files. I am not able to open or access them. How do I transfer files that I can open and listen to and then upload into garage band?

Thank you for your help!

FJ

Capture.JPG

foxinejay:

"CMS" files are Casio proprietary (MIDI) "Song Sequencer" files.  To play them back on the WK-7600, you need to press the "Song Sequencer" button to put the keyboiard into "Song Sequencer" mode, then use the Plus/Minus ( + / - ) buttons or the Data Wheel to select the desired song.  Start playback by pressing the Start/Stop button in the Transport section.  See Page E-79 of the WK-7600 manual for complete details.

Being Casio proprietary, CMS files can not be transferred or imported directly into Garage Band, or any other computer based DAW or sequencer.  They must first be saved (converted) to a Standard MIDI File (SMF) on the WK-7600's SD Card.  From there they can be transferred to the computer's hard drive and played back by the computer based DAW or sequencer of your choice. However, they will only sound correctly when played back into the WK-7600, using the WK-7600 as a sound module.  If they are played back into a computer based sound module (VSTi), they will need to be revoiced so that they call up the correct tones on the VSTi tone module.  Even then, the computer's VSTi tone module will still not have the WK-7600's wave samples, so they will still not sound like the WK-7600.  Also, when MIDI files are imported from a keyboard's sequencer to a computer based DAW or sequencer, any effects settings (reverb, chorus, etc) are typically lost, and need to be reinserted  The only way to preserve the WK-7600's exact sounds is to record them as Casio proprietary Audio files to the SD Card, as they are played back by the Song Sequencer, and use the Data Manager software to convert and transfer them to the computer's hard drive as standard WAV files.  From there, they can be played on any standard WAV file player and will sound just like the WK-7600.  Those standard WAV files can also be converted from WAV to MP3 files with a third party WAV-to-MP3 converter and played back on any MP3 player and sound just like the WK-7600. See Pages 121 through 129 of the manual.  These instructions get rather "involved", so be prepared, but the fact that you have the Data Manager installed and the CMS files downloaded to the WK-7600 shows excellent progress so far.  Hang in there !  After you have done it successfully a couple of times, it gets to be fairly routine pretty quickly, but give a shout if you need further assistance.

To simplify things a bit, the WK-7600 is actually equipped with two separate recorders - the Song Sequencer, which is a MIDI recorder and the Audio Recorder, which is self explanatory by its name.  The Audio Recorder can record songs that YOU play in real time, but it can also record the CMS files as they are played back by the Song Sequencer, which is exactly what we are discussing in this thread.  As a prerequisite, Audio files are recorded to a special hidden partition on the SD Card, so if you did not originally format the SD Card on the WK-7600, you will need to do that, in order to create that hidden partition.  Neither DOS/Windows nor MAC OS can see this partition or the audio files in it.  You will need to use the Data Manager software to manage (convert/transfer) those files.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted

Thank you so much, this is very helpful!:2thu:

Now I will try to learn how to record audio..and then convert the files to wav. that way. Do I need a card for that? When you say "SD card" is that a physical card I insert in the back or is it within the keyboard already? 

The SD Card is a separate memory card that plugs into the card slot in the back of the WK-7600.  It requires a minimum of 2Gb.  MIDI files (CMS & SMF) are fairly small, but audio files can get very large very quickly, so if you plan on much audio work and storing them on the SD Card, I would recommend as large a card as you can afford (4 or 8 Gb, at least).  I finally settled on a 32 Gb card, so that I do not have to continually worry about running out of space.

Now, I was going to add some info to my original reply, but since you have already seen that, I will include that info here.  I tried to cover only the basics of this subject in my previous reply, but for future reference: while the Audio Recorder will also record mono signals applied to the MIC IN (voice, etc.) and INST IN (guitar, bass, etc.) jacks, it WILL NOT record stereo signals applied to the AUDIO IN jack.  This is Casio's way of avoiding complicity in piracy of complete works from CD's players, MP3 players, etc.  I cover this here, as this is something that most novices miss in the manual and think there is something wrong with their procedure or keyboard when they eventually try it and it does not work.

Regards,

Ted

Dear tnicoson

As you said in your post 

"use the Data Manager software to convert and transfer them to the computer's hard drive"

but data manager do not give any option to convert the CMS file?

Please check.

The conversion I was referencing was using the Data Manager software to convert Casio proprietary audio files, that had been recorded to the SD Card, by the keyboard, to standard Windows WAV files, and transferring them to a computer's hard drive for distribution to other devices.  This process has absolutely nothing to do with CMS files, as CMS files are MIDI files, not audio files.  This is the only conversion process that the Data Manager software performs - Casio proprietary audio files to standard Windows WAV (audio) files.  Basically, it is just a conversion from one audio format to another (more widely useable) audio format.

Songs stored in the keyboard's internal Song Sequencer memory can be converted to Standard MIDI Files (SMF) when they are saved from the keyboard's internal memory to the SD Card, but that conversion is done by the keyboard itself, not the Data Management software.  When a Song is saved to the SD Card, there will be an option to save it as a CMS file, or as a Standard MIDI File (SMF).  See the appropriate section in the manual for saving data to the SD Card.

The full "conversion" process I described previously amounted to loading a CMS (MIDI) file into the Song Sequecer, and playing it back, as the keyboard's Audio Recorder recorded it to a Casio audio file, on the SD Card, then using the Data Manager software to convert the Casio audio file to a Windows WAV (audio) file and transfering that to a computer, but there is no "direct" ("single step"/"menu option") conversion of CMS files to audio (WAV) files, rather, it is a somewhat involved process with several steps. Obviously, this procedure will only work on the CTK/WK-7XXX models, as the CTK/WK-6XXX models do not have audio recording capabilities.