WAV files and Flashdrive

Tracy

Hi Tracy and welcome to the the Casio Forums. A few things about playing wav files on a PX-350

- The wav file MUST be in a folder named MUSICDAT

- The wav file MUST be named TAKE00, TAKE01, TAKE02, etc. All the way up to TAKE99 can be used.

- The wav file MUST be 16 bit, 44.1 khz. If it is not in this format, you can use any audio program or DAW to re-render it in this format. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

Scott,

I do not find a MUSICDAT folder on my flashdrive. I do see the following folders:

AUDIO

MUSICLIB

MUSICPST

PLAY 

RECORDER

REGISTERMR

RHYTHMAC

1411 kbps  is the bit rate on my WAV file

Thanks for your help

I've used Audacity to change my .wav files playable on my PX350 and yes, these files must be in the audio folder on the thumb drive and named as Scott has described.

If you use Audacity which is a freeware audio editor and about as simple a wav editor that allows for changing wavfiles like this that I know of, open the .wav file in your computer with Audacity. You will see a small window to the left of the actual .wav file once opened in Audacity. There is a small tab to the left of the .wavfile that shows you what the wavfile's attributes are. It should say 16-bit 44100 khz. If it isn't, it won't play in the PX350, Scott is again correct. To change the file, click the part of the small window to the left of the .wavfile showing in the main window that shows the name of the file-it's pretty small on my 15" laptop but it's there. There will be a drop-down menu when you click the filename and 2 items on it will say "set sample format" and "set rate". If you scroll to each of those items, another menu will open and show options for 16-bit, 24-bit and 32-bit float (set sample format). The other tab will show the various frequency choices for selecting the sample rate, you want 44100khz. Once you check the correct format and rate, save the sample-you can use the same name if you've already named it TAKE00 etc. Then copy this file to your audio folder on the thumb drive. Now it should play. I also seem to remember that the file name must be capitalized, but I could be wrong, mine are all labeled upper case and play perfectly like this. And yes Scott is correct, there is a folder named musicdat for Casios, but it exists on the computer and is created by installing the computer editors for the PX5s, XW-P1, Xw-G1 and many others, but not the PX350,which has no computer editor....I repeat, the PX350 has no computer editor (I see I am not getting through to Casio) :banghead::banghead:  Even the old PX575/410 has a computer editor-(hint-Casio software developer's don't make me say it again-the PX350 has no computer editor-oops it slipped out.)  :o

So Scott, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Or is it 3 out of 4?  Notice how I cleverly highlighted your correctness which I think is entirely appropriate and not without merit. I try not focus on people's mistakes unless 1) It will cost me money 2) I'm in a bad mood 3) they are in the same band with me 4) I don't like them and finally 5) they are driivng a semi-tractor-trailer next to me going 90 mph. Oh well, back to breakfast  :beer::P

• 3 years later...

I have 5 songs, 4 of which I had on my flash drive, all in .wav format  - they were all 32-bit, so I downloaded Audacity and changed everything to 16-bit, etc., and exported to my flash drive.  The fifth song was one I had recorded on the Privia 350 and loaded to the flash drive, but that was in 32-bit format.  That is the only song that will play.  All the others are listed but when I press "play" I get the error message "ERR WRONG DATA."

Is there any hope?  I have lots of time, still trying to avoid COVID-19 in Florida.

Thanks!

Like Brad just posted, if you recorded your file in the audio recorder of the PX350-it automatically becomes a 16-bit, 44.1Khz waveform. And that's the way Audacity should see it. That's why that one can play, and the others don't.  Check my post above about Audacity and how you can change these files that don't play to 44.1Khz 16-bit. Audacity has a variety of forms with which it will save a Windows standard wavfile, but for our PX350,s it must be 44.1Khz, 16-bit. 

Be right with you -give me a minute. OK-at the far left of the wav file, you see a small window that says TAKE01 with a small black arrow pointing down next to the name of the file. Click on that small black arrow, and a menu will open below it with several items listed. You are looking for 2 items-1) "set sample format" and 2) "set rate". scroll your mouse down to the first one, you will now see 2 options-16 bit, 24-bit and 32-bit float. You want to check (select) with your mouse the 16-bit choice. Now do the same for "set rate". Click on that and you will see a rather large list of choices-you want 44100khz-check or select that with your mouse. Nothing will change on the screen. Now click on "file" at the top and select "export as wav" and it will now save your file with the same name as a 16-bit 44100khz Windows .wav file. 

From looking at your wav file above, looks like all that needs to be changed is the "bit rate" as Audacity is displaying this as a 32-bit .wav file which is one standard for Windows wav files. I am not sure, but I don't think there is an appreciable change in audio quality from 32 to 16 bit, I've never noticed one-but again, my PX350 will only play wav files as 16-bit, so there is the problem. Sound editing-as you can see from this program-and this one of the simpler ones (!) you should see "Soundforge"...but that's a different monkey in a different circus! Hope this helps. Only took me around 20 years to learn all this-good thing i started when i was young! :waaah:

Yes,  I already did that but the only file that will play is the one I recorded from the Casio.  The other files still show the error message.  Thanks for trying to help.  I have never had trouble with external .wav files before. I had already changed the file to 16-bit earlier, but when I loaded it again, it said 32-bit.

image.thumb.png.de2eafb2654d7666a77455904acd26d5.png

Try this:

Load the file you want to convert into Audicity.

Go to the upper left corner and click on File.

Come down and click on Export Audio.

You will get a pop-up window where you choose the folder in which to save your converted file

Choose the folder where you want to save your converted file in.

Come down to the File name field and rename the file, if you desire.

NOW - Come down to the Save as type field.

If that field does not show WAV (Microsoft) signed 16 bit PCM click the down arrow at right and select that type.

Click the Save button.

Try the converted file in the keyboard.

In that Save as type field, if you choose AIFF, instead of WAV, you will get an AIFF file that can be burned to a CD and played back in any CD player.  If you choose MP3, you will get an MP3 file that can be played back in any MP3 player, and so forth.  This is how I have always converted files with Audacity.  I always just take the predefined conversions offered in the Save as type field.

Thanks, Star, but that did not work, either.  I know my flash drives are fine as they play on other devices, and when I record from Casio to flash drive, that song always plays back.  I was trying to record songs for a church that is closed right now, as the pastor is  videotaping his sermons.  If I can't get it to work on my Casio, I doubt that it will work on our Clavinova USB port at the church.  I even tried dowloading a file from Freesound, which worked for me fine when I played a show a few years ago, but now is not recognized.   Sigh.....🙄

Do you have another flash drive that you could format fresh in the PX-350 and try?  I am suspicious of the one you are currently using, because  you say that the one song that does play is a 32 bit song.  There is no way the PX-350 can play a 32 bit song.  It is like either Audacity or the PX-350 or both are just not reading that flash drive correctly.  Even though your current flash drive make work with other devices, the PX-350 is being picky with it for some reason, .  It may be the USB device port in the PX-350, or the PX-350's OS, but the only way to know for sure is with a different flash drive.  Something has obviously changed since the last time you used that flash drive with the 350.

Hmmm!  It seems the only file the PX-350 is seeing is the one you recorded directly to the flash drive.  The keyboard would have recorded that directly to the AUDIO folder on the flash drive.  Are you certain you have the other files in the AUDIO folder?  If not, the keyboard can not see them, and is just playing a 16 bit song form where it was originally recorded to.

Did you verify that your audio files are in the AUDIO folder on the flash drive?  Also, Casio keyboards with audio capabilities need to have the flash drives formatted on the keyboard thar will be recording and/or playing them back.

In order to complete your project, you can very closely approximate what you have been trying to do, if you have an available device thar will play MP3 files (phone, tablet, MP3 player, etc).  You will need an 1/8" to 1/4" stereo adapter and cables to connect the MP3 device's headphones output to the PX-350's Line In jacks.  If you don't have any, you should be able to pick them up at any big-box store, most of which are staying open during the virus crisis.  Pick them up while you are doing your grocery shopping.  Use Audacity to convert your files to MP3 and play them through the PX-350's built-in speakers.  If you were going to use them as backing tracks, you can play along with them on the keyboard.

Good luck!

Yes, put in AUDIO folder, formatted flash drives on the keyboard.  My files started out as 3gp files as I used my Android phone to record as I think the volume was too low when I recorded internally on Casio with flash drive.  I converted mp3 files to wav files with Convertio, a really easy freeware program to use.  I don't need lots of bells and whistles, just wish the stupid thing would do what the manual says it should do.  Today I am formatting another flash drive and will record internally.  I think the pastor of the church will burn the files to CD and hope that works, since for some reason the church sound system does not have a USB port.

Thanks again, stay safe.

Jo

PS - I meant 3gp files converted to wav files

Okay, I decided just to record on my Privia PX-350.  It worked great except when I play it back, the volume is extremely soft.  Not sure how to increase the playback volume, everything is set to maximum volume.   I tried to upload a file but it failed.  Anyway, do I have to play everything fortissimo to get any sound from the playback?