Control LFO speed with Envelope?

Root6t6

Hi all, first post.  I searched but could not find this asked or answered.  Sorry if it has been covered before.

I am duplicating a patch I had on another synth for the intro to Steve Miller's Jungle Love which is a thick resonant noise patch with reverse (decending) sawtooth LFO controling the filter cutoff but as the patch continues the rate of the LFO slows down about about 6 times a second to about 1 per second.

Kinda like:

Cheoo Cheoo Cheeeooo Cheeeoooo Cheeeeooooo Cheeeeeooooooo Cheeeeeeoooooooooo Cheeeeeeeeoooooooooo etc....

Is this possible with the XW-P1 Solo synth engine?

Thanks! :)

You can route LFO2 to modulate the rate of LFO1 using one of the Virtual Controller slots. LFO1 can be a descending sawtooth modulating the filter cutoff at 6 Hz or whatever rate sounds best. Use the LFO1 Depth parameter in the Total Filter block for this.

Perhaps the best way to steadily slow the rate of LFO1 would be to set the rate of LFO2 to zero, thus turning it into an envelope. LFO2's Rise parameter then effectively acts as an attack parameter, controlling the rate at which LFO2 is applied to LFO1. Set LFO2's Waveform to Pulse, to give it a positive offset, and set the Virtual Controller Depth to -128 so that a negative value is sent to LFO1's rate, thus slowing it down. Section 6.2 of AlenK's XW Companion describes how to turn an LFO into an envelope in this way, although the discussion is about pitch envelopes rather than filter envelopes.

Which reminds me, listening to the song, I would also suggest trying to route LFO1 to oscillator pitch instead of filter cutoff. What sounds like a filter sweep may be a pitch sweep, or both.

• Like 1