Video Files on Forum ×

Keyboard Height 28 inc

Justin

I have my Casio on a On-Stage X-Stand. The lowest setting goes down to 27 inch which puts the keys at about 32 inch. Most acoustic pianos are at 28 inch. From what I've read on other forums this is pretty common. The stand is pretty well reviewed which is surprising since you can't get 28 inches. I'm new to playing the keyboard and want to start off with good posture. I have my seat height a little higher to compensate. I believe the Casio wood stand does put the keys at 28 inches so might go for that down the road. 

Does anyone else play at non-standard heights or should I try to emulate the characteristics of a acoustic piano.  

You are right in being picky about seat height-watch the professional classic pianists perform-they almost always use a special adjustable seat to get exactly the right height for their posture and hand position-every player is of course of different physical makeup.

As an instructor and performer I can verify real damage can occur to your hands, wrists and arms if you intend to play a piano-action (weighted) instrument for more than a few minutes a day. I would advise getting a competent piano instructor (or I would think there are Youtube videos or other instructions online about this) to demonstrate exactly what you need to do, how to position yourself when practicing and performing.

The most important aspect is to position yourself so your hands to not have to bend up or down in relation to your wrists-your wrists should remain straight-your hands should be aligned as closely as possible to your forearms. If you play constantly with your hands bent either up or down, this will not only limit your ability to play accurately and quickly, it will also sooner or later cause you tendonitis, carpal tunnel syndrome or at least improper muscular development as you become more advanced. As all my instructors always reminded me (every day ad nauseum!)-develop the right habits of playing right away-once developed incorrectly, it is very difficult to correct yourself and alter your technique.

Don't be fooled by seemingly accomplished players that apparently do not execute properly and still can play well. If you are serious, longevity is important. The best players can play for a long time, because they didn't compromise on proper playing technique right from the beginning. Watch videos of the greats, Horowitz, Rubenstein (2 of my favorite classical role models!) and many others. If you can find videos of Art Tatum, and Oscar Peterson but there are many modern jazz players as well. Watch and decide for yourself.  Sorry for going on, hope this helps, it's the old instructor in me I guess.

Hi Justin,

I have my stand such that bottom tier is at about 28 inches but I set my bench at about 25 inches.  I like to sit up a little higher and a bit further away from the board because I run a double stack and that height combination allows me to comfortably play my PX-5S on the bottom tier and clonewheel on the top.  One disclaimer though, I am 6'5" so assuredly YMMV.

Mike