Floppy Drive data from WK-1800

soundmind

I have 7 full floppy discs of data from the past 18 years of composing. Unfortunately, I was lazy and didn't write anything down for years and have been completely dependent on that floppy  data for chord names and fingerings. Is there any way I can store that data on another device and maintain those displayed fingerings and chords/chord names ? I thought maybe a WK240 might be a relatively inexpensive last resort for reading the data from the floppy drive on the WK1800 via midi, and then saving and backing up from the WK240 in some manner and format that I can access later. I don't know if the midi transfer of data will carry the chord/chord name and fingering display component with it. I'm guessing another casio device would be necessary to display that information if it was transferred. Let this be a lesson ... WRITE YOUR MUSIC DOWN.

CDCover_11stdraft  8-28-08.jpg

The WK-1800 writes (formats) a standard MS-DOS (Windows) diskette (FAT - not FAT-32 or NTFS).  Why not just pick up a USB 3.5 inch diskette drive from Amazon and connect it to any available USB port on your PC or laptop.  From there, you can copy the data to your hard drive, an SD Card, a flash drive, etc:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=floppy+disk+readers&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=3527256260&hvqmt=b&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2r9cgvhjvq_b

I know, for certain, that all versions of Windows from Win-XP through Win-7 already have the drivers built-in.  From what I read, Win-8 should not be a problem, but the early builds of Win-10 had problems with a lot of legacy USB devices, because parts of the USB support were inadvertently left out of the builds.  Microsoft was supposedly working to correct this.  I don't know if this got fixed, but the intent was that Win-10 would include support for USB diskette drives.

• 1 month later...

Hi there, its One Man Band again trying to seek information on the WK 1800. I'm looking for something similar to my 3800 to use as a spare, and found a WK 1800 for $50.00.  Looked thru the manual and can't confirm it has drawbar organ where you can select the tones you want and store, not can I tell if it has Leslie in the same way as the 3800.

Also it there anything else I would need to know about this that the 3800 has, but the 1800 doesn't have. Is it and earlier model of the 3800?

Thanking you in anticipation.