Video Files on Forum ×

External MIDI CC control box options for XW's?

Chas

Hi all,

Question here for those that have experience with using external MIDI control boxes, i.e. Behringer BCR2000. Has anyone used one to control the XW-P1/ G1?

The reason I'm asking is that I have seen two possibilities for external CC control of my XW's, and also some of my other MIDI equipment. There is the MIDI  Designer app, that though looks good, is only available for apple i-devices (I don't own any at present). However, MIDI Designer do state:

" WILL WE RELEASE AN ANDROID/WINDOWS VERSION? Yes! We are confident that one or more of these three options is viable, and we’re currently exploring how best to translate the experience of MIDI Designer to other platforms. "

But despite waiting, there is still no Android version available to date.

The other option, as mentioned above, is a Behringer BCR2000 MIDI control box. Obviously the difference between the two is that the BCR2000 has physical knobs, whereas the ipad app has touch sensitive screen. Physical knobs makes real time manipulation more pleasant, BUT, the control layout is fixed. A tablet based controller is not as pleasant to use, but has infinite layouts available and no limit to the number of controls.

Furthermore, two of my other synths (Roland JX-3P (with KIWI upgrade) and Korg DW8000) have control maps already done for the BCR2000, so I can use the BCR with them. I haven't seen any maps for the XW series and the BCR, though I guess I could map it myself. However, the XW's appear to have many more controls, which makes mapping to the BCR harder. As we all know, MIDI Designer has the XW mapped to it already, and it also has the JX-3P and EX8000 (rack mount of the DW8000) mapped to it also.

Thus I'm in two minds as to which way to go. BCR2000 with physical controls, or buy an ipad and use MIDI Designer.

Has anyone had any experience with using a BCR2000 (or similar) either with the XW's or with other equipment?

• 2 weeks later...

I have no experience with the BCR2000. But I have a birthday coming up so one may be coming. :banana:

Personally, real knobs are always far better than images of knobs on a screen that you operate by sliding your finger or a mouse cursor. "Tactile-ness" is what music is all about, after all, and that extends to programming sounds. Tell you what: If I do get a BCR2000 (when, really, since I'm buying it even if I don't get it for my birthday) and manage to set up an XW control map before you do I'll post it here (assuming it can be extracted from the machine - haven't read the user manual yet).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great minds think alike Alen! As per your other thread, I decided to go for the BCR2000. The physical aspect of the controls tipped the balance in the BCR's favour, along with the fact that I have a G1 where I can control most of the Solo Synth from the G1's front panel already. I haven't ruled out an ipad in the future, I guess I will see how much I will need one after using the BCR. 

Now I have to work on getting my stuff over here. I miss my P1 and G1, and all the other synths/ basses/ guitars etc.!

No. :banghead:

It's a long and not very interesting story, so to cut a long story short, I'm in the process of "Adjusting Status" to get my permanent residency green card. The system is very backlogged, and as such I am STILL waiting for my application to be processed. I was hoping to get the card around February/ March, and here we are into May and I'm still waiting. As I might get called in to interview, I don't want to leave the US until I know if/ what/ when/ where regards to a potential interview or not. I need to go back to the UK for at least a month to sort numerous things out, so the last thing I want is to be over there and have get called for interview, as cancelling such an important interview can be grounds for denial.

I haven't played with my XW's and all my other music gear since August of last year (*sob*!) I have played with my CZ-1 and PD1 mind, though it's a little frustrating not being able to hook them up to a DAW and run MIDI, and to record new tracks. 

I'll just have to be patient I guess!

On 5/14/2016 at 5:01 AM, XW-Addict said:

And here I was contemplating a similar "future" step, but in light of having an impatient nature and a tendency to say "humbug" towards bureaucracy.

But I guess that how the merry go's .

Btw. Have you used a hardware sequencer before.

As in an external hardware sequencer? In a word, no. Unless you can count the XW's step sequencer, and the onboard sequencer of my Yamaha SY85. Or even the step sequencer in my Roland JX-3P. Otherwise, all the sequencing I've done has been via a DAW and MIDI.