Video Files on Forum ×

Power Button Sporadic

MarkMcNa

Hello,

At times the On/Off button will not work for me.  It will take multiple tries to turn on or off and sometimes I just give up and come back later. This has started happening more frequently.  It seems to be much worse when trying to turn off the keyboard.  The keyboard is maybe 2 years old and doesn't get excessive use by any means.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Try squirting some pro electronics contact cleaner (carefully , not too much and keep the excess off the case surround) and work the button-this is assuming the the contact is simply dirty, if you are lucky that will do it. If you are not-2 possibilities IMO-

1) The switch contacts have become prematurely worn, cleaning won't work and time for Casio repair to replace it or

2) You say turning it off is worse-this suggests the possibility of a malfunction in the software routines as the piano powers on and off. If this has a factory reset function try that.

The other (remote) possibility is the power supply-if you have another Casio power adapter compatible with this model, try that also. If there is even  a slight defect anywhere in the power supply or connector this could cause the keyboard to have trouble booting up or turning off-like a computer if there is a defect in the power supply the keyboard operating system may not have quite enough power to turn on quickly or go through it's "power down" routines the same way. May sound silly but I've expreienced this with other keyboards. 

• 6 years later...

FYI -- I have the same problem with my Casio Privia.  Sometimes it takes over fifty tries to get it to turn on.  I even tried not turning it off, thinking it would be best not to keep pressing the button as the contact may be worn to the point that further wear and tear will eventually make it impossible to turn on, however leaving on is not a solution since the keyboard seems to power off on its own after a few hours of non-use.

The problem is sporadic -- sometimes it will turn on the very first time, sometimes the 10th time, sometimes after fifty or more tries.  I would just prefer to leave it on all the time as I use it 2 to 3 hours at one sitting, but as mentioned it does power off on its own.

The problem has been going on for a year, but gets a little worse month over month.

18 hours ago, 88notes said:

I have the same problem with my Casio Privia.  Sometimes it takes over fifty tries to get it to turn on.  I even tried not turning it off, thinking it would be best not to keep pressing the button as the contact may be worn to the point that further wear and tear will eventually make it impossible to turn on, however leaving on is not a solution since the keyboard seems to power off on its own after a few hours of non-use.

There may be a setting where you can disable Auto Power Off. Check your manual or find it online at the Casio site and search the PDF.

• Like 1