Video Files on Forum ×

Piano Sound

Jerry

Bearing in mind that I have never heard either except in YouTube videos I would expect the PX-560's acoustic grand piano to actually sound just a tiny bit better than that of the PX-860, the same (see Scott's correction below), at least if you are listening through headphones or an external sound system. That's because the PX-560 emulates some characteristics of a piano's sound that the PX-860 does not (specifically damper noise and key release velocity). However, if you listen through their respective built-in speakers I would expect the PX-860 to sound significantly better because of the 40W (total) sound system and the additional speakers in the stand, regardless of those missing nuances (which are really quite subtle).

PS. The difference in pedaling action between the two, at least in their stock forms, may also result in significant sound differences. The PX-860 has the traditional three pedals, with the damper pedal supporting half pedaling. You only get a damper pedal with the PX-560, which does not support half-pedaling, unless you opt for the optional stand and also the pedal unit.

• Like 1