UK Dealers' Anti-Casio Snobbery

Hi, this is my experience of phoning round to see where to place my order for a MZ-X500, (when it ships to the UK). 

1. Academy of Sound, Stoke UK,   They were not aware of this new Casio model but probably could pre-order one with a deposit paid. 

My question: what if online dealers are first in the queue of stockists?  I would not wish to be patient for a further three months.  ~So I didn't pre-order. 

Friendly guy and a fan of Casio keyboards and who also called me back after he'd contacted their Casio rep', but Casio rep' reportedly said that the MZ-X500 was only for the USA market, not for the UK market at all.  

Credit to AofS for promising to call me back in near future if he learns anything new. 

2.  Fair Deal Music, Birmingham UK.   My speculative phone call of last week, to ask if they were taking pre-order for MZ-X500.  

"You wouldn't want one of those, sir!, not judging from your voice (ageism), you'll want a nice second-hand Yamaha Tyros 2, (which we will gladly sell you). 

Fair enough, he sells what sells to the old codgers and stuff the rest, eh? :-) 

3.   A C Hamilton, Preston UK.   This one makes no pretence of his prejudices with this terse response to my polite written request to pre-order a Casio MZ-X500:  

quote:  " >Over 30 years of experience selling all manufacturers I would never recommend a Casio , they look good value on the surface but the simple fact is they don’t have the quality of a Yamaha,Korg or Roland .For that sort of money you can buy a Korg Pa600 or a
>Yamaha S770 , far better products , for me the Korg PA600 is outstanding . " unquote

Okay, that's just three UK dealers, so probably many more who appreciate Casio brand. 

Sod this,  I think I'll wait until the Casio MZ-X500's hits the shops. :banana:

cheers 

There are many other countries with the MZ-X series besides the US. It is indeed listed on the Casio Europe site - and I know for a fact it's in Germany. We have someone from Indonesia as well - Russia too. So it is DEFINITELY NOT just a US-only product.   Now that being said, I don't see it listed on the Casio UK site so it may well be not being picked up there. I do know UK peeps can order from Thomann: http://www.thomann.de/gb/casio_mz_x500.htm?ref=search_rslt_casio+mz-x_380851_0

Regarding all the other non-sense: Yes, pure snobbery.  There is a saying: "It's the ear, not the gear".  In other words: Your music output is not dependent on the gear you have, it's your creativity.  I love Casio stuff because it is affordable, extremely durable and has top notch support from guys like Mike and Rich. We also have a cool clubhouse here at CMF. :P Let's face it: Casio stuff lasts FOREVER!  There is a TON of Casios from the 80s still in mint condition.   

And here's a real goodie that Brad found on the YouTube - really shows what can be done with nothing but a $40 Casio keyboard and a looping pedal. 

watch?v=cLznAHO508g

• Like 2

Scott, that is a seriously good example and perfect proof. The SA-46 is literally a kid's toy (that's how Casio markets it) but look what can be done with it (and some ancillary audio recording gear, of course). Anyone with the kind of keyboards we discuss most often in the Casio Music Forums should, in theory, be able to do at least as well.

BTW, I didn't recognize the tune despite it apparently being a "classic." It sounded like it came from the 80's so that surprised me, with me being such a huge (YUGE!) fan of 80's music in general and especially of "alternative," "new wave," "new romantic," "synthpop," and "post-punk" from that era. It's a cover of Flesh by A Split Second. I hadn't heard the song before or even heard of the band. Thanks Scott, what a pleasant surprise.

Thanks for your input, Scott and Alen K of CMF. 

Have followed my intuition on this new Casio model from the very start, reading the manuals, watching all the vids, and loving the negative comments of some 'established' UK dealers, heh-heh.  

To borrow a bit of Shakespeare,

"Something Wicked This Way Comes"

:P:banana::lol::banana::D:banana::P:banana::lol::banana::):banana::):banana::P:banana::D:banana::):banana:

Edited by Edd
late correction

• 1 year later...

well. that sort of snobbery just loses them business. I wanted a Casio, they couldn't deliver so guesd what? My money goes to Thomann and I'm going to be the proud owner of the bluest workstation on the market. So who loses? My local dealer. 

Same thing when the Akai MiniAK came out. I just had to have one. Had to go to the UK. Still love it. Built like a tank. Sounds better than other small synths IMO but harder to programme for the uninitiated.  Well looking forward to my MZX500 though.

• Like 1