PX series issues....130 and 160

We owned a px130 for 3 years.  After two, the speakers started to rattle horribly, buzz, etc.   Then some keys started to sound like they hissed and some made a chirp noise.   It was mostly everything below middle c that caused the speakers to go crazy, even if the he volume was at half.   We took it in for warranty repair and Casio refused to fix it saying noise on a digital piano is normal.  I should add that this rural repair shop had a stack of Casio keyboards in their entrance waiting for repair.     Luckily the store had a great policy and took it back for credit.

now I just got a px 160 as a replacement, I just don't want to spend much more than this on something for three little ones to learn on and possibly destroy, yet I need the headphone option and like this minimalist look so I'm sticking with digital.  But right out of the box this one is having sort of similar speaker problems.    Three keys in particular make the speakers or something inside buzz really bad, but it can be heard in the lower half of the keyboard.  I don't play piano, but it's the C D E below middle C that are the worst, playing two notes at a time is worse than one.   It's really annoying, and super distracting for the kids.   The old piano was definitely a speaker issue, and this one seems more like something inside is causing the noise more?  The speakers vibrating maybe make something inside rattle...but it's odd that a couple keys are so much worse than the rest.   I also noticed that the higher notes seem to play louder, maybe that's a feature??  And the keys are so much stiffer than on the 130.  I'm not sure the kids have the finger strength for it honestly.  I played for 20 minutes to test it (I can fumble through the kids' faber level 2 books, so nothing intense) and I can tell the tendons in my fingers going into my wrists are messed up from doing so.

I LOVE the simplistic look of this piano, but I'm going to have to find something else unless you guys who actually play piano and have played many keyboards can tell me that distracting noises are to be expected.    I took off the music holder and everything to see if the buzz was something external.  There's no buzz when I use headphones.     

Return it. There is no way this can be defined as normal. All my digital pianos have had an equall "action" throughout-all octaves.  New Casios have a little more weighti in the lower octaves to mimic the action on an acoustic piano-hardly noticeable IMO but other than that. But higher notes shouldn't be noticeably louder-except that higher notes of course acoustically will definitely seem louder than lower pitches but not disproportionately so. And apparently the speakers were not correctly installed if there is any kind of audible rattling although this could be due to something else inside that is not tightened correctly. Repeat-return it.This is not a typical Casio IMO.

5 hours ago, Mrsrobinson23 said:

The speakers vibrating maybe make something inside rattle...but it's odd that a couple keys are so much worse than the rest.      

The reason it's only a couple of keys is the notes they trigger are causing some kind of sympathetic vibration inside the unit. My guess is a speaker isn't mounted properly in there or somehow came loose. At any rate, as JM advises, send it back for a new one.  

Thanks for the advice.   There's two D &E's in the lower half that seem to cause it, even at half volume.     My kids HATE the faux ivory feel to these keys too. We didn't get to test it before getting it.  Hubby thinks I'm just being picky and silly, but it's several hundred dollars.  It's such a pain returning the whole stand and bench etc that came with it.  (they were from Costco, maybe the ones Costco carries are exclusive to them and not up to par??)

We went to a local place and tested out a few models costing a bit more.  A kawai kdp 90 which they really liked but I hated the cabinet.  A P115 Yamaha I think it was, and a little Roland model as well (which had the same faux ivory grain they don't like at all).  The rest were over 1500 which I'm not willing to spend on a piece of electronics considering the level my kids play at.    I think I will order a kawai ES100 today as our replacement since the stand is nicer looking than the KDP90.  The salesman said it will have the same feel as the KDP90

There are a few issues I have with the textured keys on my PX-it lacks the true feel of the real pianos I've played because

1) No cigarette burn marks

2) No coffee-stained keys, or spilled soda goo

3) Broken plastic revealing a true wooden texture underneath-good for splinters on glissandos

4)  Keys permanently collapsed, again great for glissandos and fast runs

5) Various objects thrown into the piano-chewing gum, old cigarettes (depending on venue) This may be the origin of the avante-garde concept of the "prepared piano" ala John Cage etc.I usually wouldn't notice this until I needed to play-a hidden surprise! :o

6) Wonderful atmospheric mildew smells from sitting in poorly-ventilated rooms (or worse)  I left one of the school pianos in the gym one day and the ceiling leaked-right into the piano-brought new meaning to the word 'expressivity":banghead:

This could all be modified  with the proper care and handling, now we're talking authentic "user feedback":chainsaw::P

Other than that, I think the Casios have given my playing new life (haven't done much for mu arthritis though but that's another user group).

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

There are a few issues I have with the textured keys on my PX-it lacks the true feel of the real pianos I've played because

1) No cigarette burn marks

2) No coffee-stained keys, or spilled soda goo

3) Broken plastic revealing a true wooden texture underneath-good for splinters on glissandos

4)  Keys permanently collapsed, again great for glissandos and fast runs

5) Various objects thrown into the piano-chewing gum, old cigarettes (depending on venue) This may be the origin of the avante-garde concept of the "prepared piano" ala John Cage etc.I usually wouldn't notice this until I needed to play-a hidden surprise! :o

6) Wonderful atmospheric mildew smells from sitting in poorly-ventilated rooms (or worse)  I left one of the school pianos in the gym one day and the ceiling leaked-right into the piano-brought new meaning to the word 'expressivity":banghead:

This could all be modified  with the proper care and handling, now we're talking authentic "user feedback":chainsaw::P

All of ^^ that ^^ can easily be achieved by using the "vintaging" techniques demonstrated in the this video:. 

Well either way regarding the wood grain like texture, the kids didn't like it and it was too different than the baby grand they play at their teachers home and they've had the opportunity to play on a $200k Steinway at recitals too.  They're currently refusing to even practice on this thing because they hate it so much, so it has to go even if it wasn't for the sound glitch.  They weren't just a bit of a matte non slip kind of texture, they had a wood grain look to them. And they require more effort to push than any piano we tried at the store.

Thank you Scott.

Good god is this painful to watch! It's nice to someone with real expertise doing this though. I also feel a whole lot better about some stuff I wasn't sure would sell on eBay. "That is really starting to come together". Great!. I'm particularly impressed with his "beer-brush" technique, although his baseball bat follow-through is a close second. And very well-organized. he waited until the end to work on the keys, always better. Guess he's not the only one that did not like the DX7.Glad he only used handtools!  I need to take some Advil, this was excruciating! :beer:I need a drink after this one. I think we need to start a new post here. I think it won't last very long though. would help sell new instruments if we can encourage "newbies" (or "oldbies") to do some woodshedding on their older keyboards.

5 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Thank you Scott.

Good god is this painful to watch! It's nice to someone with real expertise doing this though. I also feel a whole lot better about some stuff I wasn't sure would sell on eBay. "That is really starting to come together". Great!. I'm particularly impressed with his "beer-brush" technique, although his baseball bat follow-through is a close second. And very well-organized. he waited until the end to work on the keys, always better. Guess he's not the only one that did not like the DX7.Glad he only used handtools!  I need to take some Advil, this was excruciating! :beer:I need a drink after this one. I think we need to start a new post here. I think it won't last very long though. would help sell new instruments if we can encourage "newbies" (or "oldbies") to do some woodshedding on their older keyboards.

I thought you'd like that video. :P  It's the first time I'd ever heard the term "vintage" used as a verb. 

He should have glued some wood panels on the side too..... That's a way to really vintage it up! 

17 hours ago, Mrsrobinson23 said:

Well either way regarding the wood grain like texture, the kids didn't like it and it was too different than the baby grand they play at their teachers home and they've had the opportunity to play on a $200k Steinway at recitals too.  They're currently refusing to even practice on this thing because they hate it so much, so it has to go even if it wasn't for the sound glitch.  They weren't just a bit of a matte non slip kind of texture, they had a wood grain look to them. And they require more effort to push than any piano we tried at the store.

Right. I get that, and good luck to you guys with whatever you purchase next. Hopefully they will realize that there are a lot of different feeling acoustic pianos and will adapt to them throughout their playing lives.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Please don't use the word "jackhammer" in this post-if you look at Scott's video you'll see why!!! :hitt:

But kidding aside-could be a few things-could be as simple as one of the rubber contacts inside under the key has distorted over time-and is not making correct contact when you play, if it is a single key-or is it happening to all the keys? Could be an error in the electronics-this is the kind of sound created when editing samples-and only a short section of the sample is triggered-in this case mistriggered-which can cause a buzzing sound. If there is a factory initialize or reset-try that. and if you have "canned air" and can get it to blow alongside underneath the key-if the rubber boot is stuck (it can happen) this might free it up, or blow away any debris under there that might be causing this mistriggering to occur.

1 hour ago, Wushumike said:

I have a privia px850 that when playing suddenly have this brurr burr..sound like jackhammer...anybidea whats the priblem?

Can you post a video clip of it? Your description sounds like an issue I have seen in which the main board will need to be replaced in order to solve it.  Try turning off touch response and let us know if that prevents the noise.  

• Like 1

Unfortunately that is the sound glitch I have heard before, where the service center replaced the main board.  Turning off touch response may stop the glitch.  I would try that first.  PX-850 was released in 2012 and sold for a few years.  They were covered by a 3 year warranty.  Is there an odd chance yours is still within warranty?  Otherwise, you might want to contact a local repair shop for assistance.  

• 1 year later...